Zimbabwe All Time XI [Graphic Presentation]

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Flurzt
Supports: Mountaineers

Zimbabwe All Time XI [Graphic Presentation]

Post by Flurzt »

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2160
(click file to view or scroll down)

I saw a very weak thread years back on a Zimbabwe All Time XI and because of no engagement i'm creating a Graphic of the Team instead for better visual sample.

After alot of research this is the Zim ATG XI i have concluded with. I will now further explain the selections.

Factors into choosing the XI

1. Loyalty
2. Overall Performance
3. The Opposition they performed against
4. Did not play for another country after Rhodesia became Zimbabwe

Further note: Stats of Kevin Curran and Duncan Fletcher have been filtered from cricketarchives.com to arrive to FC and List A games only for "Zimbabwe" and not domestic teams. Even if zimbabwe did not have official international status then.

Alistair Campbell

Alistair Campbell by stats might not look menacing but when he opens his performances boosts drastically and in they are no soft runs either. With an average of 35 in odis and 38 in tests while opening Campbell steals the spot as one of Zimbabwe's premier opener.
NJ's strike rate made him a very suitable option, he also adds flavour with bowling. Unfortunately him putting domestic/money over national team made me shift NJ to reserves as a switchable option since there's no denying his quality. As Dave Houghton quoted "Neil came and played for Neil and not Zimbabwe".
Campbell vs Hamilton had me confused. I could not decide who was better? Campbell is a better opener statistically but Hamilton's 18 years of cricket for Zimbabwe vs Campbell's 10 years played its role too.

Grant Flower

Spot fixed. Cant argue with his selection. His runs accumulated are shoulders above every Zimbabwe cricketer when opening. Before his later decline in Tests, Grant was going strong with a 35+ average as well. He provides handy spins too which are very effective in limited overs.

Brendan Taylor

Stalwart of Zimbabwe. The most centuries by a Zimbabwe batsman in international circuit. Locked Player and Position. At 1 down Brendan averages 45 in ODI's and 48 in Tests with the bat.

David Houghton

Led Zimbabwe into its breakout form in the international scene first which allowed the team to develop into a further improved side. Houghton possessed sublime batting skills. When every other batsman collapsed around him he stood alone trying to drag the team to victory. David Houghton remains a big character for Zimbabwe cricket

Andy Flower

Do i really need to comment?

Sean Williams

Today's heroics of Sean allowed Zimbabwe to fight beyond reach. Within only 1 hour more left afghanistan were then able to win. Apart from this knock statistically he has been a monster with the bat and takes his role of a senior responsibly. Sean also provides a great bowling depth. Alternatively Goodwin can be played, but Sean beats him in loyalty.

Duncan Fletcher

Underrated Allrounder! Look at his stats?! His win for Zimbabwe vs Australia through his all round performance is one to remember. Alone slayed a cricketing giant.

Heath Streak

Perhaps Zimbabwe's greatest player after Andy. The margin of career wickets between him and other bowlers is colossal and lets not forget his ability to bat.

Kevin Curran

Another gem all rounder and part of the golden generation. Seems Zimbabwe is blessed with Wicketkeepers and All rounders. He contests with Sikandar Raza for the spot. Although Raza is a better batsman, Curran's bowling is world class and this XI required bowling power more as a priority as the lineup is already extremely BATDEEP.

Paul Strang

The Trio of Strang - Price - Whitall means one needs to be selected into the team. While they are all great in the art of spin, Strang was more valuable through added batting depth and that too a great one over the two.

Tendai Chatara

His stats put him as one the most quality zimbabwe pacer. But i believe his injuries have not done justice to his stats and he is better. Chatara is a fine nippy bowler for the side. Kyle Jarvis is another option but Chatara's stats are impressive against tough opposition, whereareas Jarvis has a huge statpad boost from Bangladesh. Henry Olonga is another fine option but his control was not so great and usually sprayed the ball. Eddo Brandes was another competitor for this spot, but i feel did not give the same quality as Chatara.

Reserves are rotational players who can be used according to the situation. Andy Blignaut has been placed in reserves as an X Factor player due to his aggressive striking. Tatenda Taibu is in as a field sub which means if the pitch offers a spinning track, Taibu can be used added as a glovesman anytime.

And this is Zimbabwe's All Time XI. Blessing Muzarabani/Wesley Madhevere/Victor Nyauchi are currently the three players who have potential to break and replace the players here, who i will keep an eye on.
Feel Free to let me know what changes you would have or if you agree with my selections.

I hope you like the graphic too! The little symbols on the players pictures are:

Anchor icon - Batsman is an anchor and plays conservatively
Gear icon - Batsman is an accumulator
Firefighter icon - Batsman usually comes in death overs/collapse and is more known to fluctuate in playing style, can offer aggressive and defensive options.
Leg/Off Spin icon - Player can provide spin option
Pace icon - Player can provide as a paceman

How do you see this lineup compete? :)
Attachments
Zimbabwe.jpg
Zimbabwe.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1481 times
Last edited by Flurzt on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

zimbos_05

Re: Zimbabwe All format XI [Graphic Presentation]

Post by zimbos_05 »

I know there is this love fest for Hammy, but I disagree with his selection, particularly as the reasons don't add up.

Campbell and Johnson were so much better than him technically and skill wise. Campbell didn't play for too long for Zim because Zim only became a test nation in 1992.

Hammy had the quality but never really applied himself more than he should have. Hammy also only put himself first and not the team. He, at countless opportunities to have better working and playing conditions for the players, chose to stab his teammates in the back all to secure his own position. 10 years of loyal service ranks higher than 18 years of service for personal gain all while the squad, fans, and sport suffered.
Last edited by zimbos_05 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I absolutely love this XI and the work that has gone into it! :)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Surely Andy at 5 and Sean at 6 in this XI?

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Goodwin was a better test opener than hammy and grant. Look at Goodwin's FC stats in the UK

Flurzt

Post by Flurzt »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:52 am
I know there is this love fest for Hammy, but I disagree with his selection, particularly as the reasons don't add up.

Campbell and Johnson were so much better than him technically and skill wise. Campbell didn't play for too long for Zim because Zim only became a test nation in 1992 and he was already 28 by then.

Hammy had the quality but never really applied himself more than he should have. Hammy also only put himself first and not the team. He, at countless opportunities to have better working and playing conditions for the players, chose to stab his teammates in the back all to secure his own position. 10 years of loyal service ranks higher than 18 years of service for personal gain all while the squad, fans, and sport suffered.
I had the same feeling for the birth of quality provided between campbell and hami. Thank you for this info about the impact of his services, i'll swap hami into the subs instead

Flurzt

Post by Flurzt »

Jemisi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:12 am
Surely Andy at 5 and Sean at 6 in this XI?
Just chcked their Batting stats by position and even though its a very minimal difference, its a good catch. Brilliant suggestion! Ill change it up in a while

Flurzt

Post by Flurzt »

Zimco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:19 am
Goodwin was a better test opener than hammy and grant. Look at Goodwin's FC stats in the UK
Indeed just checked, but domestic bowlers are easier to pile runs on over the international stage. His numbers opening are similar to Campbell's in international (Campbell goes at around 35-39 when he opens) Prior to previous comments on campbell to be included over Hami, i'm gonna alter the graphic with campbell and grant to open.

Another factor like i highlighted is Goodwin prioritizing domestic. And if Ali is giving the same results while sticking to national colors i'll keep goodwin in the subs (because he's still quality)

Flurzt

Post by Flurzt »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:52 am
I absolutely love this XI and the work that has gone into it! :)
Thank you so much crimson x

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe All Time XI (All-format) [Graphic Presentation]

Post by sloandog »

Campbell was 19 when he made his test debut, not 28.
He retired when he was only 30. I still wonder why he wasn't considered for the English tour of 2003. He could have still been around when the rebels walked out