The future of the coaching staff

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

The future of the coaching staff

Post by CholeZimbo »

If I am not mistaken, the current coaching staff took over in June 2018 and results have not been up to scratch. Of course there are other factors but judging from execution in the games, sometimes it seems the team plays without a clear plan or approach. For example, as recent as yesterday, the bowlers just seemed to be throwing it and hoping for the best.

All three main coaches honestly were not great during their playing days and I do not think they are good enough in terms of strategy and game plan. At best they are just trainers to me were Stuey can just throw a 100 balls to batsmen in the nets, but when it comes to how they strategize on how to approach a game, a match situation I do not see this being translated onto the field of play and the same can be said about the bowling department.

Are there any standards to which they have to live up to as coaches and who do they report to? It always seems as though it is business as usual, no pre or post match conferences where they face tough questions. This is not good for the development of the team. As it stands, the coaching staff has not been good enough and their CVs are not inspiring.

It is a big 2 to 3 years for us and we need the right people in charge. There has to be good coaches to nurture these youngsters and remove this culture of just showing up losing and no visible improvements. Cricket coaches need to have a very strong cricket brain and we are lacking very much there. They have lost enough and they must go. If Raza can go out in 3 consecutive TEST innings trying to hit a six, it shows a lack of accountability which further indicates how useless the coaches are to the players also.

#CoachingStaffOut

TapsC2

Re: The future of the coaching staff

Post by TapsC2 »

It’s a bit political because Stuey and Hondo are part of the furniture there but I do believe we need a new bowling coach. Some of those guys have raw talent but you can tell they run out of ideas quickly. To me world class bowlers produce world class batsmen in the nets. Imagine how much Blessing has improved the quality of the net sessions. We need to sort that out quickly

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Good point on Blessing there. I think he came back from the UK a better bowler than when he left, which goes to show the quality of coaching he may have been receiving over there. We have a decent mix of youth and experience at the moment such that a high profile coach has never been more than important right now to transform this team into a winning one. One that learns from experience.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Surprised this thread hasn't attracted more comment.

Obviously Stu & Hondo, very much part of the ZC 'club', are unlikely to ever lose their jobs. But Rajput? The guy doesn't live in Zimbabwe - has he ever attended a Logan Cup match, even? The guy flies in for a tour and flies straight out again. By all accounts he is being paid full-time, on a permanent salary, even though he does very little between tours. I think I've only ever seen 2 press conferences with him during his entire tenure.

I think he is coming up to 3 years in the job, and can anyone genuinely say the team has made progress in that time? Surely whenever his contract is up, he'll be gone.

Part of me thinks the guy would struggle to even sign up to this forum, considering the bot/security questions when registering, which asks 'Where is Queen's Sports Club located?'. He'd probably say Harare.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

The man to employ is Gary Brent, at the very least as a fielding coach or bowling coach.

Alistair Campbell would be an excellent choice as the Head coach but there's far too much history there with ZC.

They usually have a token white face in the set up for the window dressing aspect, so there's room for one now.

Oh wait, Gavin Ewing is ticking the yes boxes for selection..

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

i dont think Rajput is a bad coach, but without player improvement, what is the point?
It may nit even be him, he could be dragged down by Stu and Hondo,
unfortunately, it is too late to know now.

We need fresh ideas.
I think the batting coach will need to be an overseas appointment, and someone who retired internationally within the last ten years would be a good fit (cheap, and modern).
Brent would be a good bowling coach or head coach, he managed to be one of the best t20 bowlers for a tim there despite having no gifts from God, a 115km/hr bowler, but apart from that I cant think of anyone in Zim who would command the respect of the current group in a way needed. I want someone who was brilliant in his day. Steyn would be great.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:14 pm
Surprised this thread hasn't attracted more comment.

Obviously Stu & Hondo, very much part of the ZC 'club', are unlikely to ever lose their jobs. But Rajput? The guy doesn't live in Zimbabwe - has he ever attended a Logan Cup match, even? The guy flies in for a tour and flies straight out again. By all accounts he is being paid full-time, on a permanent salary, even though he does very little between tours. I think I've only ever seen 2 press conferences with him during his entire tenure.

I think he is coming up to 3 years in the job, and can anyone genuinely say the team has made progress in that time? Surely whenever his contract is up, he'll be gone.

Part of me thinks the guy would struggle to even sign up to this forum, considering the bot/security questions when registering, which asks 'Where is Queen's Sports Club located?'. He'd probably say Harare.
:lol: :lol: :lol: For the national team I say that is where the problem lies initially. Get him out! Spend money on a top coach for this daunting period we are about to enter where we need to extract as much as is possible from the pool of talented players we have who do not know how to transform it into consistent match winning performances. Then when you have structures in place and some winning mentality established, shift most money to identifying and nurturing young talent then an expensive coach will not be needed as compared to now.

Candidates,

Gary Kirsten, Kallis, A good top former Indian, Former Zimbos that were decent back in the day would be a bit outdated now i think, except Grant who has been coaching modern day cricket. He will get tired of living in Asia at some point I think.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 am
Steyn would be great.
Spot on

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:01 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 am
Steyn would be great.
Spot on
And totally unrealistic

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Zimbabwe needs to learn modern day hard hitting technuque. If i am not wrong its was Douglous Marillier, a Zimbabwean who started this modern era cheeky type of shorts back in 90s.

Zimbabwe needs to appoint someone who can teach them hard hitting shorts, drills and building up body physique for hard hitting.

Guys like Tiripano, Moor, Jongwe, Mashinge, Munyonga has got the ability but they can be the best if they are trained.