The future of the coaching staff

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The future of the coaching staff

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:33 am
sloandog wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:17 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Interesting, all the indications from the domestic game is that he is a bowling allrounder, after playing with him are you now clear that he is a batsman who can bowl a bit?

How does he compare to other overseas professionals that you have played with?
He hasn't invested himself into the squad at all. He doesn't speak and his approach to the games have been poor. This is my first season here but the previous pro was Yasir Ali, who planted a test for Pakistan in 2003 and apparently he was rapid
How serious is this Comp you are playing Sloan?
I find it so weird club cricket drafts in pros? But of course if this is one step below county or something it would make sense.
Division 1 is a decent standard to be fair. I've moved clubs as I've moved to Cheshire with my fiance, and the club I previously played for were in the Greater Manchezter Premier League, which was a much higher standard. The Cheshire Prem is where we'll be next year and apparently its a serious standard. There's lots of big, familiar names

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Is there any update on Rajput's future? I think his contract was due to expire in September. Obviously there is no official news, but any rumours about him getting a renewal or is he on his way out?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:04 pm
Is there any update on Rajput's future? I think his contract was due to expire in September. Obviously there is no official news, but any rumours about him getting a renewal or is he on his way out?
It’s all very quiet. I’ve asked around but nobody knows anything about his future. I understand he flew directly to India after the Scotland tour though and didn’t return to Zim with the boys. Not sure we can read anything into that though

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:39 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:04 pm
It’s all very quiet. I’ve asked around but nobody knows anything about his future. I understand he flew directly to India after the Scotland tour though and didn’t return to Zim with the boys. Not sure we can read anything into that though
I think Rajput has some backing of the BCCI, I'm just guessing this. ZC fired Whatmore and Streak even when their results were a lot better, surprisingly they keep backing Rajput though. I Desperately hope he is out.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

What if... maybe.. the kids support Rajput? Does that not change the equation a bit. I personally dont know what's going on but I think it would play a part

What he did in Europe, to stick his neck out for these kids. Something tells me somebody like Shumba is eternally grateful for that. We saw Rajput's theory work. A kid's confidence grew over 6 weeks and he exploded in spectacular fashion. Imagine that feeling those kids had after the game. Would they want a change? How many games would Shumba have played if the Big 4 were selected?. Just a thought from their perspective
20211005_200012.jpg
20211005_200012.jpg (560.01 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

You will never get a situation where all the kids explode at the same time. The big 4 themselves very rarely all performed well at the same time. Breaking 1 kid over maybe 2 or 3 tours is actually not a bad achievement if you are playing regularly.

Now I would say 3 out of 5 newcomers have had their moment. Wes, Ngarava and Shumba. Marumani is still a work in progress and Myers looks like he is up next if he sticks around. Jongwe was also brought back even though he didn't have spectacular stats. He is now 1 of the top performing T20i bowlers in the world this year

It might just be Rajput being at the right place at the right time when it comes to a new crop of players emerging. Credit must also go to the likes of Mangongo. Whatever it is there are honestly more guys who owe Rajput 1 than guys who want to see him gone. Issues like there not being enough cricket balls for practice have nothing to do with Rajput.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I hear your point, and fair enough. But it depends if we give him the credit, doesn't it? Earlier in the tour when the youngsters were failing, a few people were defending Rajput and saying it was the selectors & Hammy. When the youngsters had (1) good match, some of the same people are giving Rajput the credit?

The truth is, we don't know who was behind the forced selection of all FOUR young batsman in almost every match on the tour. We don't know who to criticise or who to praise for the decision. Wes' selection on that tour wasn't a talking point anyway - he's been in the team over a year and we know he's good enough. Meanwhile Myers has had good starts but nothing spectacular. Marumani has been awful (I really rate him - but surely his continued selection has done him more harm than good). Shumba is the one who did particularly well. But who put him in the team? We don't know.

Then lets look at results. I maintain that Ireland are a weak side on the decline. On paper we should be all over them. We drew 1-1 and were saved by rain. Is that where we want to be? I get the 'its better than last time' stuff - but is that enough ambition? The results over the last three years have been poor and we are in serious danger of finishing bottom of the Super League now. That's serious. Let's not forget how awful we were in 4 of the 5 Tests we played this year too. It's a results business.

Also, not so long ago everyone who supports ZC was saying the T20s were, I quote, 'meaningless'. But then when we beat Scotland all of a sudden they are meaningful and enough to justify continuing the status quo? They can't be simultaneously meaningless and meaningful. Choose one.

Rajput hasn't developed the 4 kids. They've been talked about as extremely talented for years. The fact they are black and have stuck around is great but again its not Rajput's doing. Maybe their selection was his doing. But we don't know that. Williams has stated that Rajput was (1 part of) the reason he attempted to retire. There's been chat on various groups that BT thinks the same. That our two most talented players of their generation have both lost faith in him is a pretty strong message for me.

We have some really exciting kids, still a few excellent seniors, and some of the middle players like Burl, Ngarava, Blessing are maturing too.

Time to get a world class coach who can actually move us forward rather than treading water with a guy who's single achievement in his career was as a team manager (not the coach.....) in a World T20 14 years ago when that format was still a joke and a piss up.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Rajput is not responsible for the youngsters emerging. There has been talk about them for ages. The only one who was fairly new to the chat is Marumani, and he has not progressed at all in the way we are hoping, but he has time.

Rajput just happened to find himself in the right place at the right time with the youngsters emerging. He has benefited from them all being at the right age at the right time to be considered for selection and not still U19s.

If Rajput was truly responsible for progression, then we would see that progression across the board, not just one or two guys.

Results speak for themselves. They are nowhere near where they should be, especially against the lower ranked sides.

Rajput has not developed this side. He has stayed around because he is a yes man. He has never challenged ZC and has never done anything that would bring question to ZC. Other coaches would question ZC being able to supply balls, Rajput has not done that. Coaches have a right to question this too. ZC should be providing for players, and coaches can't be expected to do their job when the board is not doing theirs. This is why Rajputs results are so poor. He is just going with the flow. He has not once asked for more or for better, and the results reflect that. Very sub par and below average, and he is ok with it because he just says, "yes baas" and moves on.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

The former Zimbabwe Captain Andy Flower has joined the Afghanistan cricket bubble ahead of starting his consultancy role with the team for the T20 World Cup 2021.

More: https://t.co/fUgtoMjd2U https://t.co/lLB3I3LGVH
WTF :o :shock:

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Marshmallow wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:28 am
The former Zimbabwe Captain Andy Flower has joined the Afghanistan cricket bubble ahead of starting his consultancy role with the team for the T20 World Cup 2021.

More: https://t.co/fUgtoMjd2U https://t.co/lLB3I3LGVH
WTF :o :shock:
Afghanistan of all teams! 😱 That's indeed a surprise.