The future of the coaching staff

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The future of the coaching staff

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:39 am
Googly is right that the door is slowly closing with the passage of time and generations. A few of the boys still have passports though. I know Connor Mitchell has a full British passport for example.

And of course we will lose a few to university.
This is not the smartest group we have had academically which may put a few off trying the university route.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Thanks men. I've not seen any school cricket in Zimbabwe since 2009, and the standard back then looked seriously good. I've heard regression in standards has occurred.

I'm just thinking of the larger picture here to be honest.
The national side starting to build sold depth with the bat, though it would appear we have lost Myers for the time being. I don't consider Klong a long term option at the top and the jury is still out with Marumani. Therefore with that in mind, I think there's two, maybe three places in the SQUAD (not necessarily in the starting XI) for these lads to aim for.

Roche and Murray were prime examples of this. They were given a few ODI's after some good performances in the Under19's. Murray especially looked solid with the bat.

I just hope the selectors keep up with their policy of blooding these boys. Out of all the batters in the squad I'd like to see the bennet boys and Bawa in a T20 squad perhaps. Certainly the development sides.

The less we see of Maruma, Mutambami Chibahba and Co in these development sides the better.

Also wouldn't mind seeing young Erasmus in there. Heard he's got some pace

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:43 am
Thanks men. I've not seen any school cricket in Zimbabwe since 2009, and the standard back then looked seriously good. I've heard regression in standards has occurred.
I would say the same, but looking at those very poor U19 results in 2008/2010/2012 is very eye-opening. We've done a bit better in recent years somehow.

We often bemoan the poor 'middle generation' in the national team, and I guess this just backs that up.
Zim in U19 WC's:
2020 - 11th
2018 - 11th
2016 - 10th
2014 - 11th
2012 - 15th
2010 - 13th
2008 - 14th
2006 - 8th
2004 - 5th
Obviously the participation numbers in school cricket have decreased significantly. We have fewer schools playing, worse facilities, fewer coaches and therefore a lot fewer young players. So the depth isn't there. But somehow we still seem to produce decent quality. It's just on a much smaller scale. When the top few schools do play each other the quality is still high. They just don't play often enough (and not at all since Covid) and we could do with a few more old cricket schools being brought back in to the game to add some depth and competition.

There's something in the water here honestly. It goes against all logic that we continue to produce such talented kids. If we had a half decent youth set-up, coaching and some stability and organisation, who knows what could be possible.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/form ... ch-1295561

Dont know if anyone posted this but yeah

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:07 pm
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/form ... ch-1295561

Dont know if anyone posted this but yeah
Grant has now established himself as an international coach, and it's good to see him get good offers. ZCs obsession with Rajput is hard to understand but that is how it is. ZC won't change their coaching staff until 2023 WCQ for sure.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Let's gather here :lol:

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

No use i think. They going to say that they want continuity in coaching setup and used this series as a experimental series :( :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I might put a bottle of sparkling in the fridge ready for the news he's been fired.

It's not entirely his fault, sure. Numerous other things wrong with our cricket. But the guy is a disgrace. Get rid now.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Marshmallow wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:09 pm
No use i think. They going to say that they want continuity in coaching setup and used this series as a experimental series :( :lol:
We've been having experimental series for 20 years :lol:

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:34 pm
Marshmallow wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:09 pm
We've been having experimental series for 20 years :lol:
:lol: