Zimbabwe vs Afghanistan 2nd T20 International

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe vs Afghanistan 2nd T20 International

Post by TapsC2 »

PJ and Maruma Need to have a go against Pakistan

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

What the fuck is this obsession with Maruma...? He's never scored an international half century in 12 years!

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:29 pm
What the fuck is this obsession with Maruma...? He's never scored an international half century in 12 years!
I’m just judging from what I have seen and know. In this format 50s is not how you judge a player. Strike rate and hitting ability is what makes the difference. Nobody in this current team that’s in Abu Dhabi can strike it cleaner than him on his day.

We have tried again and again this 11 of technically good players who can’t clear the ropes . What we need are power hitters. Guys who can still hit a six even if they don’t time it properly. None of the guys there right now have the power. Burl showed he has the potential I guess but the truth is if BT,Ervine, Williams, Raza, Musakanda, Burl or Wes don’t time their shots perfectly they get caught on the boundary because they don’t have the power. It’s that simple.

T20s are won by an innings of 40 off 15 like what Nabi. These technically good players who keep getting backed will never score more than 8 an over overall. That’s their limit

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I bet you all their strikes are in the 120s. In modern T20 cricket if you can’t go at about 140 you are in trouble.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

We look a very unbalanced side in T20 at the moment, as Taps says we are lacking power hitters who can clear the boundary.

Williams had another shocker in the field, bowling Raza for two overs in the Power play, only bowling Burl for two overs and bringing back Matuva were all head scratching decisions.

Wes needs a break tomorrow, might as well give Akram a chance to show what he can do.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Strike rate and hitting ability is what makes the difference.
His S/R in T20Is is 93...So by the standard you've set of 120, he fails.

We can't really be surprised with the loss. This is what Zim prepares for. We got a hiding in the first match and went in to the 2nd match with the exact same game plan and mentality. We again got to our limit of 150, no more.

If Rajput is actually coaching, it's not showing on the field, which would then lead to either players not listening or someone else in the staff undermining the instructions.

We should not be this bad, especially not against Afghanistan. This is starting to get ridiculous and we need some serious answers. Coventry does bugger all holding TM and Hammy to account. Journos in Zim do bugger all holding TM and Hammy to account. ZC is fast becoming a boys club for Hammy to allow his friends to travel the world every so often.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:55 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Strike rate and hitting ability is what makes the difference.
His S/R in T20Is is 93...So by the standard you've set of 120, he fails.

We can't really be surprised with the loss. This is what Zim prepares for. We got a hiding in the first match and went in to the 2nd match with the exact same game plan and mentality. We again got to our limit of 150, no more.

If Rajput is actually coaching, it's not showing on the field, which would then lead to either players not listening or someone else in the staff undermining the instructions.

We should not be this bad, especially not against Afghanistan. This is starting to get ridiculous and we need some serious answers. Coventry does bugger all holding TM and Hammy to account. Journos in Zim do bugger all holding TM and Hammy to account. ZC is fast becoming a boys club for Hammy to allow his friends to travel the world every so often.
Raza has a T20i average of 13 and a strike rate of 106 but he is by far our best T20 player. Numbers don’t always tell you everything. It’s like Burl. He is a much better player than his stats suggest.

I do agree that this is more of a coaching and tactics problem than a player problem

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:18 am

Raza has a T20i average of 13 and a strike rate of 106 but he is by far our best T20 player. Numbers don’t always tell you everything. It’s like Burl. He is a much better player than his stats suggest.

I do agree that this is more of a coaching and tactics problem than a player problem
I don't disagree. Stats don't always tell the story. The problem for Maruma is that the guy is 32 and has been given enough opportunities in every format, and not taken any of them. He's just not good enough, and if he hasn't picked it up by now, he's not going to get better.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:42 pm
Afghanistan are also a top T20 side. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the semifinals of the World Cup. Let’s not forget that.
Afghans aren't there quite yet. They are basically the next Bangladesh. They are as strong in T20Is as Bangladesh are in ODIs. But they seem to struggle at world events even more than BD who always manage 1 game in every tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:18 am
Raza has a T20i average of 13 and a strike rate of 106 but he is by far our best T20 player.
Being the best player doesn't make you immune from being dropped. Rajput could send a big statement by dropping him from the final T20.