3rd and final t20I match thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 3rd and final t20I match thread

Post by zimfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Not sure about Tari..he looks really wooden with his hands.
Does not have the power to play the way he wants to, needs to rethink things but worth another go.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Not sure about Tari..he looks really wooden with his hands.
I think he was not that bad as far as the T20 series is concerned, got starts in all three innings but failed to convert into something big, having said that he still needs to improve a lot and he is someone I really think can become a match-winner if given a long rope, and one of Tari's ability is the strike rotation and Zimbabwe really needs that in the middle order.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

Burl deserves a place in the ODIs and T20s , he had really an awful test series but back end of the T20 series he showed his potential in the shorter format with both ball and bat.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Kamunhukamwe is a poor man’s Mire. Shumba is a First class kind of player not T20s. Burl looks like he can open in this format. Raza too. I’m surprised they never promoted them given what has transpired this tour

Look we have a lot more games to come and I’m sure we will have a better looking team by the end of the year in this format. I think PJ needs to be given another go. I would even be tempted to bring Zhuwao in and Elton out of retirement for this format at this rate. We need to have a T20 NPL to discover some big hitters otherwise we have to recycle the old ones

What I can say is that I think Burl and Tari might be ready for the ODI team. Tari was getting starts but he just couldn’t accelerate. Burl might be our lower order solution with Raza for the ODI league.

Wes and Shumba need to be given time and shouldn’t be under too much pressure to perform. Same with Myers.

Look a lot of these guys are now in that 24 to 28 range. Kasuza, Kamunhukamwe, Tari, Mavuta, Burl, Wellington, Blessing, Ngarava and Akram. What they need is A cricket. It’s genuinely not their fault. The jump from domestic to international is a bit too much at the moment. I would suggest we register an A team for the SA domestic stuff next year. Add Shumba, Wes, Munyonga, Kaia, Jongwe, Mashingr and Myers to that and we have an A team squad

grant

Post by grant »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:28 pm
Look a lot of these guys are now in that 24 to 28 range. Kasuza, Kamunhukamwe, Tari, Mavuta, Burl, Wellington, Blessing, Ngarava and Akram. What they need is A cricket. It’s genuinely not their fault. The jump from domestic to international is a bit too much at the moment. I would suggest we register an A team for the SA domestic stuff next year. Add Shumba, Wes, Munyonga, Kaia, Jongwe, Mashingr and Myers to that and we have an A team squad
That's a great idea! Don't think we'll see it happen though.

grant

Post by grant »

I think Musakanda will be a very good ODI player. He's a stroke player and someone who can keep the scoreboard ticking without taking too many risks. But he's definitely not a hitter, so I doubt we'll see him play explosive innings in T20s.

grant

Post by grant »

We desperately need a domestic T20 competition if we ever want to become competitive in T20s.

Also, the gap between our domestic competition and international cricket is huge, and the only way to bridge that is through more A team matches for our young players to develop, even if they're against teams like Ireland, Afghanistan, West Indies, and Bangladesh. Playing someone like Maruma or Chibhabha in those matches will serve no purpose though. We should be playing guys like Madhevere, Shumba, Myers, Mashinge, Jongwe, Burl, Tari, Ngarava, Mumba, Kasuza, Munyonga, etc. in those matches.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

grant wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:52 pm
I think Musakanda will be a very good ODI player. He's a stroke player and someone who can keep the scoreboard ticking without taking too many risks. But he's definitely not a hitter, so I doubt we'll see him play explosive innings in T20s.
Yes, Musakanda impressed me too, can be a good ODI player and may be even T20s given more exposure.

Shumba needs to spend a lot of time playing domestics, he is undercooked for internationals, Madhevere can still be persisted with.

Hard to understand how PJ Moor doesn't get a place in this T20 side, that is a joke.

Team will look better with BT, Moor, Jarvis and Chatara in the side. Also need a good spinner, probably Luke Jongwe.

jward

Post by jward »

zimstarr wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:47 pm
lobsang wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:07 pm
Kamunhukamwe's skill is not up to the standard of international cricket, I believe that feet movement is of paramount importance when it comes to negating the spin and scoring off spinning balls. The fact that Sikandar Raza and Williams are very well-equipped against facing spinners is that they use their feet very well. There is no feet movement whatsoever in TK's batting approach and he will always struggle against spin, in particular, against quality spinners like Rashid and Nabi. TK I believe is still young so he can work on those drawbacks at domestic level.

Tk is 25 years old he isn't young anymore he is just simply not good enough for international cricket he's even worse than maruma
If he played for Afghanistan he would still be an Under-19 player ... Ha!

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

That was below underwhelming. We had them in a position to restrict them to under 150, and somehow they scored 70 runs in the last 5 overs. That is just ridiculous, especially when it's so consistent.

Someone said there's no variation from the bowlers. I agree. I don't see yorkers, slower balls, short balls, length balls, outswing, inswing....absolute no variation.

Hondo has been our bowling coach for some time now and it's very clear he is not good enough. His interview was also very damning in terms of the insight. But I guess he was one of the guys who sucked up when ZC made all the coaches reapply and bow down to them.