Andre Odendaal

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Andre Odendaal

Post by sloandog »

franco vazquez wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:29 pm
Why would he not play international cricket for Zimbabwe but league cricket in Australia? Playing internationals for Zim would make him more likely to play as an overseas player in County cricket then as a league cricketer in Australia
We hardly play any FC cricket mate and when we do, it usually rains. There are very few opportunities to break into the national side and plus, there's hardly any money with ZC as they hardly show any games on world TV stations. I think the stars have aligned a little bit for Odendaal here. If he can maybe make another impression with the bat and pick up some wickets, he just might be in the eye line of the selectors for selectors for T20's.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Then again, Maruma will probably get in ahead of him

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimlover wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:49 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:03 pm
franco vazquez wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:55 pm
Has a weird career path so far, Played in U19 WC in 2012 and since then he went AWOL and now came back after 9 years.
Been playing cricket in Australia, he is only playing in Zimbabwe because of the covid restrictions not allowing him to travel to Australia for the season. Doubt he will be around for long unless the selectors give him a clear indication that he is in their plans.
So on Cricinfo, he has only played one professional first class game, he must be good if he can just turn up after 9 years and get a game , late alone just play when he wants. If he is waiting for Covid restrictions to be lifted he might as well consider a career with ZC.

I wonder what level he plays in Australia?
He plays for the South Darling downs cricket club in rural QLD.
this isnt grade cricket or anything.

I know one thing,
at that level, he isnt in Oz to just play cricket.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

If he has played cricket in Australia and is performing well here then selectors should definately consider him for T20s and ODIs.

Zimbabwe have a lot of cricket coming up not just this year but also next yr, where they play T20 WC qualifiers in Feb, also the T20 WC in Oct and then the WC qualifiers in 2023 March. These are all ICC events and should be used to attract players to stay with Zimbabwe as they can get an opportunity to play in world cups.

Odendaal for example will never play a WC otherwise but he can have an international career if he stays with Zim.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Good Swing bowler

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 pm
If he has played cricket in Australia and is performing well here then selectors should definately consider him for T20s and ODIs.

Zimbabwe have a lot of cricket coming up not just this year but also next yr, where they play T20 WC qualifiers in Feb, also the T20 WC in Oct and then the WC qualifiers in 2023 March. These are all ICC events and should be used to attract players to stay with Zimbabwe as they can get an opportunity to play in world cups.

Odendaal for example will never play a WC otherwise but he can have an international career if he stays with Zim.
Anyone can play cricket in oz. Just sign up for a local park league ahd pay your fees and have fun.

This appear to be what mr O has done.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

hi all just a thought here of the back of the potential for Odendaal to stay in Aus and play for Zim when he can etc....

Could someone like Hilton Cartwright be lured back to Zim by the offer of him still being able to play domestic cricket in Aus. Would he have to play as an overseas play in Aus if he wanted to play for Zim? As far as im aware there are no overseas in FC level in Aus aren't they all just aussies?

Obvs guys come over for the big bash only?

Its a slightly different situation to say a Gary Ballance as he'd have to play as Yorkshires registered overseas if he switched his country allegiances back to Zim and I don't think you'd have Ballance as your out and out overseas. Of the top of my head Pujara was Yorkshires last overseas. If youre going to engage an overseas I suppose it needs to be someone of that ilk.

So begs the question are there any Zimbos in Aus, NZ or SA playing domestically who don't play for the country they reside in internationally who could come in for Zim if their contract type changes with their state in their adoptive country to allow them to leave to play for Zim when selected.

Or is it a case with the Zim selectors that you don't play for Zim unless you play in Zim?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ljriley90 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:16 am
hi all just a thought here of the back of the potential for Odendaal to stay in Aus and play for Zim when he can etc....

Could someone like Hilton Cartwright be lured back to Zim by the offer of him still being able to play domestic cricket in Aus. Would he have to play as an overseas play in Aus if he wanted to play for Zim? As far as im aware there are no overseas in FC level in Aus aren't they all just aussies?

Obvs guys come over for the big bash only?

Its a slightly different situation to say a Gary Ballance as he'd have to play as Yorkshires registered overseas if he switched his country allegiances back to Zim and I don't think you'd have Ballance as your out and out overseas. Of the top of my head Pujara was Yorkshires last overseas. If youre going to engage an overseas I suppose it needs to be someone of that ilk.

So begs the question are there any Zimbos in Aus, NZ or SA playing domestically who don't play for the country they reside in internationally who could come in for Zim if their contract type changes with their state in their adoptive country to allow them to leave to play for Zim when selected.

Or is it a case with the Zim selectors that you don't play for Zim unless you play in Zim?
Good question, I believe the answer is yes because they pulled Solomon Mire out this way. Hilton would have to spend significant time in Zim though.
Hes someone whos perfectly suited for Zim. not good ernough to play for oz, but international calibre.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Usman qadir played for WA and know he plays for Pakistan so it is possible. but I don't know anyone doing both at the same time.