Liam Mudenda

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Liam Mudenda

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Well it’s been 20 years since the farm invasions that wrecked the nation, so you have almost two generations of people that have never seen a beautiful version of Zimbabwe.
If Googly was correct, it’s all about who has the means to get out. So it’s possible that having cricket skill doesn’t mean you have ambitions of playing for Zim, it means you grow up to have ambitions to live overseas and get A cricketing job.

But I do hope he NEVER badmouths England or colonialism or anything as he grows up, because that would make him a hypocritical leech if his dream is to move and play there.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

That's actually a really good point. They've not grown up watching the Zim cricket we watched. The passion we saw. The dedication. The taking it to other teams and being a top nation. You genuinely wanted to play for Zim back then.

Now they've seen sub par nonsense. Unpaid players. A board actively damage ZC by having us suspended and suspending ourselves. They are now witnessing Hammy and his mates taking ownership and putting each other first. They've witnessed players turn on each other when some were trying to fight for better rights and playing conditions. They probably don't want to just keep playing against Afg and Ban and travelling there only.

On the base of that, you probably would do everything you can to try and qualify and then play for another country.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Another thread turns political 🥱🥱🥱🥱
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:25 am
They probably don't want to just keep playing against Afg and Ban and travelling there only.
I was thinking about this today actually.
A modern day Zim player basically only tours the UAE, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
One of the perks and selling points of playing international cricket is travelling and seeing the world.
One of those nations is downright dangerous, and no offence I think after the first time touring Bdesh and seeing it on your bucket list, it would probably feel a bit of a chore going back. Not exactly tourist places. UAE maybe twice and the same feeling will kick in.

Other countries, and the Zim of old, would tour Aus, eng, The windies, NZ....places I would much rather go and see as a young zimbo playing fir his country and living the dream.

I reckon for that reason we should play holland a bit more, probably a team we still have it over (yes i remember the results three years ago) but i think a small European sojourn nearby would be much more exciting and appealing for the guys.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:16 am
Another thread turns political 🥱🥱🥱🥱
Don't think it's turned political, but how do you discuss Zim cricket without an element of politics to it. It's entrenched in our game and rules it

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:51 am
I was thinking about this today actually.
A modern day Zim player basically only tours the UAE, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
One of the perks and selling points of playing international cricket is travelling and seeing the world.
One of those nations is downright dangerous, and no offence I think after the first time touring Bdesh and seeing it on your bucket list, it would probably feel a bit of a chore going back. Not exactly tourist places. UAE maybe twice and the same feeling will kick in.

Other countries, and the Zim of old, would tour Aus, eng, The windies, NZ....places I would much rather go and see as a young zimbo playing fir his country and living the dream.

I reckon for that reason we should play holland a bit more, probably a team we still have it over (yes i remember the results three years ago) but i think a small European sojourn nearby would be much more exciting and appealing for the guys.
That's true. I can't remember the last time we went to places like WI and NZ too for that matter

International tours are a big appeal of being an international cricketer, but if you are only going to the same 3 countries and then spending most of your time at home, it doesn't really hold as much appeal. Our soccer team may only travel within Africa, but probably visits more countries and takes part in more tournaments.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

No disrespect to the countries that are kind enough to play us but you probably can't leave the hotel in Pakistan, Afghanistan dangerous and Bangladesh okay.

In the end they are international cricketers so they can't really complain much but I'm sure a tour of the west indies would be a bit more relaxing. The players essentially are getting danger money, like that one tour to Pakistan.

They do go to Sri Lanka sometimes which hasn't been mentioned.