PJ Moor has joined the @MunsterReds(Ireland cricket) squad for the upcoming Inter-Provincial Series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: PJ Moor has joined the @MunsterReds(Ireland cricket) squad for the upcoming Inter-Provincial Series

Post by secretzimbo »

I’m sure he’ll play their SL tests and the one at Lords in June. Ultimately though I think he will struggle.

It’s not as big of a loss as some have been saying for the past couple of years.

I wish him luck and hope he does well though

zimbos_05

Re: PJ Moor has joined the @MunsterReds(Ireland cricket) squad for the upcoming Inter-Provincial Series

Post by zimbos_05 »

I don't think PJ was ever going to return. He's had some horrible experiences with ZC. Don't blame the guy. Can only wish him the best.

The thing is, we always produce raw talented players. We just don't know how to develop them. That is our major problem. Lack of development. At the young age they have the skills, but once they get into the first team, they stagnate. So losing PJ may suck, but we've lost so many more quality players over the years. Murray springs to mind of recent.

We need a better structure. Madande has shown some form in the recent series, he now needs to develop. He needs to take the nest steps and keep improving.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:54 am
I don't think PJ was ever going to return. He's had some horrible experiences with ZC. Don't blame the guy. Can only wish him the best.

The thing is, we always produce raw talented players. We just don't know how to develop them. That is our major problem. Lack of development. At the young age they have the skills, but once they get into the first team, they stagnate. So losing PJ may suck, but we've lost so many more quality players over the years. Murray springs to mind of recent.

We need a better structure. Madande has shown some form in the recent series, he now needs to develop. He needs to take the nest steps and keep improving.
You are right about the development. 50% of it is the lack of proper coaching, the other 50% is the weakness of local cricket which won't expose a flawed technique until you make your international debut.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

PJ averaging 7.75 in his Ireland career so far.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I reckon he has until the end of the year to prove himself or he might actually be completely done. You can't buy form unfortunately.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:54 am

I wonder how true that is.

The old Zimbabwe I have always believed are the opposite of what you said.

A small group of players, not many with raw pace or flash, that were determined and gritty and well coached meaning they could compete with the best.

That was my opinion 20 years ago.

Now it is a bit different, some more raw numbers, but less quality coaches + a changing cricket lanscape.

All players today 30+ were part of the older system. All players 25+ are part of the hybrid system. Kids today dont seem to be getting the right coaching.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:01 pm
I wonder how true that is.

The old Zimbabwe I have always believed are the opposite of what you said.

A small group of players, not many with raw pace or flash, that were determined and gritty and well coached meaning they could compete with the best.

That was my opinion 20 years ago.

Now it is a bit different, some more raw numbers, but less quality coaches + a changing cricket lanscape.

All players today 30+ were part of the older system. All players 25+ are part of the hybrid system. Kids today dont seem to be getting the right coaching.
We definitely had a more determined, gritty and hardworking group back then, but we did also have raw talented players. The difference was that the number of them was much less compared to now.

Kids today are definitely not getting the right coaching, or rather, there are some quality coaches, but they just don't align with the ideals of those in ZC so are not promoted to the roles needed and such.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

There are some great coaches in Zimbabwe. Kids like Shumba, Madande, Myers etc don't just appear from nowhere. They've been coached efficiently and effectively at a young age but, like Zimbos says, the coaches at the top just aren't good enough.

I mean I like Matsi a lot, but he averaged 20 in ODI cricket...how can he be expected to coach and improve somebody like Ballance?

Same goes for Hondo. A complete a joke that he was the bowling coach for so long. Uninspiring

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:08 am
There are some great coaches in Zimbabwe. Kids like Shumba, Madande, Myers etc don't just appear from nowhere. They've been coached efficiently and effectively at a young age but, like Zimbos says, the coaches at the top just aren't good enough.

I mean I like Matsi a lot, but he averaged 20 in ODI cricket...how can he be expected to coach and improve somebody like Ballance?

Same goes for Hondo. A complete a joke that he was the bowling coach for so long. Uninspiring
I think what we can hope for is that Ervine, Williams and Raza can play a role 1 day as coaches. I definitely see Ervine and Raza going that way.

It's not a bad thing absorbing the likes of Jarvis, Mawoyo, Prosper, Elton and Hami into the system. I would rather have them there than some guys who know nothing about cricket. Hopefully they continue that trend. They seem to like Craig a lot and I think he has potential to be a good coach.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Another innings . Another failure for moor. Made to open this time scored just 5