Zimbos in the UK 2021

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Zimbos in the UK 2021

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:55 pm

‘Keep politics out of it cuz’.
I'm replying to a comment about a player singing a political song. I'm not bringing politics in to anything

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:48 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:55 pm

‘Keep politics out of it cuz’.
I'm replying to a comment about a player singing a political song. I'm not bringing politics in to anything
I was agreeing with you.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Andy31
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Andy31 »

Eddie Byroom seems to have started off in the twos
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/sec ... -scorecard

I also see Nick Welch played a game against a few other Zimbos
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/uni ... -scorecard

A.Frost making a 50

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I forgot about Frost!! I think he was listed in one of the Logan Cup squads at the start of this season but maybe didn’t travel over because of Covid.

L.S

Post by L.S »

All rounder update. Brad Evans has opted out of Zim A series to play club cricket. Bizarre as he was doing all the hard yards.

Will Mashinge is playing for Elworth CC near Cheshire, and seems to be finding the going okay with the bat but tough with the ball.

Diplock is playing for Bourne in an ECB premier league, and is decimating teams with the ball. Hasn’t batted much.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Mashinge is at my club.
Seems like a nice bloke and he bowled very well this weekend gone.
He's a proper batsman too. Lots of time.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Pre useless ig but Brydon Carse who`s playing against Pakistan right now has a dad who represented Rhodesia

PieChucker
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by PieChucker »

Yes, his dad is James Carse, probably the fastest bowler to have played for the country. Really quick.
I played a Vigne Cup match with him once, OH against Alex - I got there early and there was no one else around, then this bloke arrives wearing a t shirt, rugby shorts and flip flops and puffing away on a Madison cigarette. He introduces himself as James Carse and tells me he bumped into our skipper in the pub last night and got told to come and play. I think Carse was late thirties, pushing forty maybe, lean as a rake and looking rather weatherbeaten. Anyway, the rest of the team arrived and we scraped together some kit for him so he could play. We batted first on a really lively pitch, Eddo Brandes was at his prime and he was hurling thunderbolts and we got rolled out for about 120. Then Carse got hold of the new ball and opened the bowling.
My God.
Loped in off a 12 yard run up and whipped his arm over. First few went through for a couple of 4 byes, but he quickly found his range. Poor Alex buggers didn't stand a chance. Anything short of a length really jumped up and when he mixed in a few yorkers the wickets were flying. Saved his best delivery for Eddo Brandes, as if he had a point to prove - sent his off stump cartwheeling past the keeper and followed up with a maniacal glare. No doubt about who was the most impressive fast bowler that day.
Carse only played a few games for Rhodesia and then went down to play for Eastern Province where he had the misfortune to be captained by Kepler Wessels, a very dour, serious man who certainly did not appreciate Carse's cavalier approach. He caught Carse smoking a joint in the change rooms one day and that was the end of Jimmy Carse's career.
He hadn't played for years when he pitched up at Alex sports club that day, and he was still bloody awesome. Pity his prime never coincided with Zimbabwe's rise to Test Cricket. He could have done some damage.
If Brydon Carse is anything like his Dad, England may have found themselves a real strike weapon.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

How fast would you say he was?
Great story by the way! Love hearing those kind of anecdotes from the past, really epitomises the old Zimbabwe grit. Love how he was in the pub and he got roped in last minute. Did you guys stay for a beer after the game and chew the fat?

PieChucker
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by PieChucker »

Upper 140's maybe - something like that. Definitely faster than Eddo and Henry Olonga. He had a whippy action with a loose wrist - Richard Snell had a similar delivery. Made it look deceptively effortless, the flick wrist put more spin on the ball, causing it to fizz a little more.
Cause was a character - remember him regaling us with stories - he got a job as a car salesman for the BMW showroom in PE. By his own reckoning he was a terrible car salesman - had 2 cars stolen from him. The last, when a guy arrived with a briefcase, asked Carse if he could take the latest model for a spin and offered to leave the briefcase as surety. Ol Jimmy said sure, he was too lazy to go for a test ride with the guy. When the dude never returned they checked out the briefcase and found it was stolen. The manager was furious but Carse argued that technically it was a sale, because the insurance company still paid out, so he was asking for a commission. I think he got fired after that.
I don't know why I remember all this shit, but I can't remember where I put my phone...