1st T20I | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: 1st T20I | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Post by CalZim »

I knew 150 was going to be too much today.

Positives:
Great bowling performance just a bad couple of overs at the end

Ervine and Jongwes innings with the bat

Negatives:
Awful fielding display, embarrassing to be honest.

Ngravas last over, sometimes loses focus when put under pressure, may not be a death bowler.

Teams batting performance. K long looked all over the place, commentators were praising him but he just didn’t look confident at the crease and struggled to rotate the strike.

Inexperience of Marumani and madhevere, great prospects but lack of experience showed by both playing ridiculous shots. Especially Marumani, you don’t go big on your first ball!!

Chakabvas keeping, not acceptable at national level. Glad when Taylor plays but I’m concerned at the future, seen half decent keepers at domestic level but none are great with the bat.

I know we are all disappointed but take some positives from the game, hoping we can turn it around game 2!

Cal

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

My player ratings from today;

Kamunhukamwe - 6/10. Awful drop early in the game. Batted okay - didn't look comfortable but somehow managed to grind out 29 which was at least better than several of our batters.
Madhevere - 6/10. Bowled really well, but a shame that he only bowled 2 overs. Seems like the bowling plan was pre-meditated and it wasn't adapted during the game by the captain. Wes really should have stayed on. Cracked a few nice boundaries batting but ultimately not a great innings. We need to be patient with this kid and trust him. He will be great eventually.
Marumani - 2/10. Good pick up and throw for the run-out. Awful awful international debut with the bat. Wtf was that?! But he has to stay in the team based on recent form. Plenty of talent here. Let's keep the faith.
Ervine - 7/10. Looked very comfortable at the crease. Seems like he picked up a little niggle though, which maybe led to his loose shot for the dismissal. Great strike rate though. Hope he's fit for Friday.
Burl - 6/10. Tidy bowling off his three overs, kept it really tight. Was out to a stunning delivery, so quite unlucky with the bat.
Williams - 2/10. Awful drop. Poor bowling changes and plan in the field as captain. Silly dismissal with the bat.
Chakabva - 2/10. Very very very poor behind the stumps today. Out of character. Nothing off the bat. I think BT will replace him if he's fit. If not, then Regis needs to step up.
Jongwe - 8/10 - Man of the Match (Zim). Bowled much better than I expected. 2 good wickets and really should have had two more if it wasn't for the bad fielding. Also contributed to the run out. Very good innings down the order too. A great return to the side. A handy younger version of Tiripano?
Masakadza - 5/10 - Kept it fairly tight with his bowling but he doesn't really seem to be much of a threat. I can't see him ever taking a wicket in this format!
Ngarava - 4/10 - His final over possibly cost us the game. He didn't execute his deliveries perfectly but I won't be too harsh - it was simply great hitting from Rizwan rather than particularly poor bowling. Will probably have his place taken by Chivanga either on Friday or in the final game.
Muzarabani - 6/10 - Got the crucial wicket of Babar, but didn't look too threatening for the rest of his spell. Kept it tight though and didn't concede loads like Ngarava did.

Would bring BT in for Regis on Friday (if fit). We will definitely see Chivanga in place for Ngarava at some point, but not sure if we will wait until the final game for that.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Three things.

1) I didn't see k long bat but a strike rate just over 80 in T20 can't be praised. It's better to get out. 6/10 is too high.

2) jongwe bats different to tiripano. Tiripano can stay there all day , solid defence. Effective for tests.

Jongwe was playing ramps and giving it the kitchen sink. Effective for T20.

3) muzarabanis 4 overs for 22 is great figures and deserves more than 5/10. He also got Babar Azam out which contributed to Pakistan's low score.

We bowled 15 EXTRAS to their 3 extras and we lost by 11 runs so we actually lost in extras. 13 wides is also two extra overs.

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

I think jongwe should play all three formats. We need firepower down the order and in tests an extra bowler who can bowl 135km/hr plus.

The 90s and early 00's zim team was filled with allrounders . we used to fit these allrounders into one team. Johnson.flower.whittal.streak.blignaut. Ervine

We could fit
raza. Williams. Burl.madhevere.jongwe.tiripano.or kaia into one team. We are always one bowler or batsman short

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Some of my thoughts after the game.

1) We missed a trick not bowling out Wes and Burl. The pitch was clearly holding up and going for the pacers was not ideal at that stage.

2) Ngarava really needs to work on his line. It's fine to be fast and aggressive, but you cannot give away silly runs. 15 extra is a lot. 20 off the last over. As it showed, those were the margins we lost by.

3) Catches win matches. Simples.

4) I was sketchy about Regis WK style in the T20 comp and it cost us some runs last night. He really needs to be fixing his technique. Can't be doing that hand waving thing and not getting your body in the right positions.

5) K-long has stagnated. He goes out there and tries to hit every ball down across town to Mbare, rather than playing the ball on merit and working the ball around the field. HSC is big, you can easily work 1s and 2s when the pitch is a little harder to bat on.

6) Our batting needs serious improvement. We are so far behind the other teams in our thinking. We think T20 is all about go big or go home, but it really is not. You can win games by playing straight bat and classic shots. Working the field and rotating the strike.

7) I honestly have seen no improvement since Rajput took over. It makes me really wonder what the coaching staff have been doing.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Happy with Jongwe's selection 90% didnt agree in his selection.If he puts some more effort he could be that usefull allrounder, for that he needs to bat at top 3 in his franchise.His 5 years has been taken away by ZC selectors, haven't seen any player to be out of the team for so long on lack of discipline.

Jongwe whenever played domestic games have performed, ZC should have backed him but the treatment to him again revealed ZC backs lots of proven failures instead of the guys who have shown glimpses of talent, same they did it to Madziva. Both Jongwe & Madziva by now would have been go to man in shorter format.Tapiwa Mufudza should replace W Masakadza in next match

At the end i will say, amount of domestic T20 matches is very much less in Zimbabwe so this kind of results are expectable, associates and new commers of cricket has taken this format for their development, Zimbabwe failed to cash in this format, lack of innovative ideas in playing more T20s which is also prime cause for their worst win loss ratio at international level. Pak plays 33 domestic T20 matches and 34 in PSL i,e 67 T20s in domestic format in one year of cricket season, they will automatically have more experience to defend low scores or chase high scores, with 5 or 6 domestic T20 guys can't learn that art.Zim should make that NPL tournament 20-20 format, new talents can come from that league.Lots of positives are there but innovative and thinking mind is what Zim required. Zimbabwe performed well as per their standard, fans will be disheartened after seeing there was an big opportunity to defeat a top team.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:39 am
Some of my thoughts after the game.

1) We missed a trick not bowling out Wes and Burl. The pitch was clearly holding up and going for the pacers was not ideal at that stage.

2) Ngarava really needs to work on his line. It's fine to be fast and aggressive, but you cannot give away silly runs. 15 extra is a lot. 20 off the last over. As it showed, those were the margins we lost by.

3) Catches win matches. Simples.

4) I was sketchy about Regis WK style in the T20 comp and it cost us some runs last night. He really needs to be fixing his technique. Can't be doing that hand waving thing and not getting your body in the right positions.

5) K-long has stagnated. He goes out there and tries to hit every ball down across town to Mbare, rather than playing the ball on merit and working the ball around the field. HSC is big, you can easily work 1s and 2s when the pitch is a little harder to bat on.

6) Our batting needs serious improvement. We are so far behind the other teams in our thinking. We think T20 is all about go big or go home, but it really is not. You can win games by playing straight bat and classic shots. Working the field and rotating the strike.

7) I honestly have seen no improvement since Rajput took over. It makes me really wonder what the coaching staff have been doing.
I agree with point 6 this time. A 150 chase did not need big hits. It just needed a strong power play and keeping it simple from there. Really disappointed yesterday because that was our game to lose. There are also specific bowlers who you can sense are dominating and you should not attempt a risky shot against them chasing 150

Kamunhukamwe did not look comfortable but for me the batsmen after Kamunhukamwe and Ervine let us down. The extras too. It’s the little things that will keep us as minnows. We don’t have a killer instinct

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ervine has done his calf, and is out of the rest of the T20 series. Touch and go whether he can make the Tests apparently.

Musakanda into the squad as replacement.

Taylor is reportedly feeling better and should be in the team tomorrow.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:01 pm
Ervine has done his calf, and is out of the rest of the T20 series. Touch and go whether he can make the Tests apparently.

Damn it's a no brainer then ..Taylor replaces ervine ..but raza Taylor ervine and Williams have all reached that age where they will have fitness issues regularly now ..clearly need to groom good players quickly now

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

tej_27 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:43 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Damn it's a no brainer then ..Taylor replaces ervine ..but raza Taylor ervine and Williams have all reached that age where they will have fitness issues regularly now ..clearly need to groom good players quickly now
Yeah I think it will be a straight swap - Taylor for Ervine. The batting order will be interesting though. Will BT open? Or will they stick with Wes up there?