1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Post by TapsC2 »

I will put it this way. 5 years from now you will all be talking about Myers because when he settles you will all be amazed but that Madhevere grit and determination is also priceless

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:08 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:45 pm
Fuck. This is extremely poor. To be expected though, considering we are missing 5 players through injury; Ervine, Williams, Raza, Burl & Wes.

Let's remember this is arguably a B team. Let's not panic.
I see it slightly more pessimistic.
This is a glimpse 3 years into the future when those guys are done.
Only Wes has the ability to grow but I don’t
Think he has as amazing an ability as some people make out.
Yeah I know what you mean. But I think there are reasons to be optimistic;

- I'll disagree with you on Wes. I think he is a true generational talent.
- Shumba is a classy player. He has the potentially to be easily better than any of our current openers; Masvaure, Kasuza, Chari, Chamu etc. He'll be much better than any of the guys we've had at the top for the last 10 years.
- People rate Myers very highly.
- I don't know if Marumani can develop a red-ball game, but he'll be gun in white ball cricket.
- Bawa is better than them all.
- Burl will be at the peak of his career in a couple of years.
- Jongwe & Kaia are positive additions to the national squad.
- Musakanda just needs a bloody good coach to sort out a few small issues.
- Blessing & Ngarava are the genuine pace bowlers we've all been crying out for for years.
- People in the system rate Chivanga really highly. I dont know personally, but a Blessing/Ngarava/Chivanga trio sounds exciting.
- We might see one or two players come back once the big 4 retire and there are paths into the team; maybe Welch, Higgins, Murray, B Curran, Snater? Who knows.
- I've heard that Ewing is on record as saying he believes the next U19 batch is just as good as the last one.

The reasons to be pessimistic are ZC of course. They'll find a way to fuck it up sooner or later. All the above is reliant on good management, good selection, good coaching and a stable environment. When pigs fly, etc etc.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:41 pm
I will put it this way. 5 years from now you will all be talking about Myers because when he settles you will all be amazed but that Madhevere grit and determination is also priceless
He's going to uni later this year apparently. I'm not sure where. :(

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:36 pm
People might kill me for this but the truth is Williams> BT. He just wants it more. Don’t forget Williams never ever got the BT bucks. He had disciplinary issues and they dropped him but here he is giving 150% every single time. Talent is only part of the equation
200% agree on recent form.

Overall BT just beats SW by a bit. Can't discount Taylor carrying ZIM during the dark wilderness years. Williams though has developed his game like few Zim batters have. He was a genuine 25 average batsman as recently as 2015 (in quality not necessarily his actual stats) but now hes a legit 40 average batter - in both formats.

I wonder if Taylor is on decline now - Willy, Ervine, Raza all look like guys who are fit enough to play till 40 but BT has always been hefty I wonder if his lifestyle choices are hitting him now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:21 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:03 pm
Raza is out for a longer time after his surgery i believe. Ervine and Williams desperately needed.

Is there any update on Jarvis? Will he be back playing cricket again?
I'm hoping Raza is back for Bangladesh Tests. 2 months from now. Although I suppose even if he is fit, he will be very rusty by then. With Burl, Sean & Raza in the team we can do away with Chisoro and get an extra pacer like Chivanga in, or an extra batter.

Word locally is that Jarvis had lost interest, and that was before he nearly died in hospital a couple of months ago. I can't see him coming back now to be honest. Especially as Ngarava and Blessing are probably going to be stalwarts in all formats for quite a while. It's sad, I'd love to see Kyle back, but realistically it's probably better to focus on Chivanga / Nyauchi / Jongwe & Evans.
That's quite sad to know about Jarvis. I still hope he recovers and makes it, esp with some important events coming up. Wishing Kyle the best.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Chivanga for the second test. Looking forward to a zim bowler hitting the 90mph zone.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Very poor showing from Zimbabwe, but we may as well get used to it as this is the future.

Yes we have talented youngsters, but they need to be scoring lots of runs in domestic cricket for 4-5 years before being blooded. Unfortunately because they are in Zimbabwe they will average 25 over three Logan Cup matches and be thrust into international cricket. Whatever worldclass talent we do produce we have no way of harnessing it.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:41 pm
He's going to uni later this year apparently. I'm not sure where. :(
UK. May give cricket a go when he is 23/24.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:36 pm
People might kill me for this but the truth is Williams> BT. He just wants it more. Don’t forget Williams never ever got the BT bucks. He had disciplinary issues and they dropped him but here he is giving 150% every single time. Talent is only part of the equation
BT is demotivated, just winding down. Sean has that drive BT had around 2011.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:46 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:08 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:45 pm
Fuck. This is extremely poor. To be expected though, considering we are missing 5 players through injury; Ervine, Williams, Raza, Burl & Wes.

Let's remember this is arguably a B team. Let's not panic.
I see it slightly more pessimistic.
This is a glimpse 3 years into the future when those guys are done.
Only Wes has the ability to grow but I don’t
Think he has as amazing an ability as some people make out.
Yeah I know what you mean. But I think there are reasons to be optimistic;

- I'll disagree with you on Wes. I think he is a true generational talent.
- Shumba is a classy player. He has the potentially to be easily better than any of our current openers; Masvaure, Kasuza, Chari, Chamu etc. He'll be much better than any of the guys we've had at the top for the last 10 years.
- People rate Myers very highly.
- I don't know if Marumani can develop a red-ball game, but he'll be gun in white ball cricket.
- Bawa is better than them all.
- Burl will be at the peak of his career in a couple of years.
- Jongwe & Kaia are positive additions to the national squad.
- Musakanda just needs a bloody good coach to sort out a few small issues.
- Blessing & Ngarava are the genuine pace bowlers we've all been crying out for for years.
- People in the system rate Chivanga really highly. I dont know personally, but a Blessing/Ngarava/Chivanga trio sounds exciting.
- We might see one or two players come back once the big 4 retire and there are paths into the team; maybe Welch, Higgins, Murray, B Curran, Snater? Who knows.
- I've heard that Ewing is on record as saying he believes the next U19 batch is just as good as the last one.

The reasons to be pessimistic are ZC of course. They'll find a way to fuck it up sooner or later. All the above is reliant on good management, good selection, good coaching and a stable environment. When pigs fly, etc etc.
I love your optimism!
The forum needs people like you to counter people like me.

I’ll address folllw up thoughts one by one:
- Wes.... I think he’s a bright spark and has a bright future. I don’t think he’s Going to be a Williams or Taylor, but I think he will be a slightly better Taibu. That will be more than handy. At the same time, as a betting man, that’s not a bet I’d back money on. I can see him being what I just described, or fizzing out, or being superb. Hard to tell. The one concern I have about him is he has that style that makes batting look like hard work. Which often in my mind is an indicator a batter is playing above his God given potential. Which then makes me think.. how long can he sustain it?
- shumba. Haven’t seen enough of him, but I am certain he’s going to be better than the Matsi or Chibhabha type, the latter of which still has Hamilton’s semen dribbling down his chin from being allocated national captain despite barely being Logan cup standard. A player I used to like who’s ruined his rep Utseya Style.
-Myers. The word is he is sensational and the best of the lot. Including Wes. But he’s going to uni and will be another who fades away when he’s lost three years to uni. They just don’t learn.
- burl will be 10% better than current hurl unless he finds batting form. He seems to prefer being a leggie now though and I dare say he’s the best leggie in the country atm. Which is handy with his batting background. Odd player.
- Jongwe and Kaia WILL be up and down. This is one the betting man in me WILL back.
- musakanda confuses me too. Very Maruma like
- blessing and ngarava are as decent as we have had.
- no idea about chivanga either
- if ZC has any care or sense they would employ a recruiter to scour the diaspora. To me that’s the answer. Murray I think is cooked. He’s lost too many years away from the game. Tragedy.
- Ewing could be talking positive fluff. Googly said the next gen are struggling massively.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*