Ryan Higgins

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Zimco wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 am
We seem to come back to this study and play model in every other thread. So, just out of curiosity, if ZC is to implement an obvious plan on these lines, the current Director of Cricket at ZC must be able to share enough knowledge on how it can be done. Wasn't he himself a beneficiary of going to SA for higher studies and coming back to cricket once he got the degree?

Does anyone know if and how the then ZC (ZCU) helped him (with finer details of financial aid, cricketing support, selection criteria, etc. if anyone knows it) so that that could be the bare minimum to expect?
Only certain degrees can be studied online, mainly commercw type degrees
I think you missed the point. What I'm referring to here is players taking a break for studies like Hammy did and coming back. Can someone in the know tell us how ZCU helped and reintegrated Hammy to the system?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If you want to play cricket. This timeout to study thing makes zero sense to me. Not if you want to be an elite cricketer. Yo I simply can’t take a 3/4 year sojourn. You’ll literally forget stuff.
Most degrees CAN be studied online. But lets put that aside for a moment.
Pretend ZC are very uni friendly.

How is this model
Juniors cricket > study uni > international cricket > eventual career

Better than;
Juniors cricket> international cricket> study > eventual career

It’s not beneficial to anyone to chop and change like that,

Starting the degree at 34 will at least give you life experience to choose your degree.

the hammy way ruins your development as an elite cricketer and hampers your future career prospects.
No one cares today if you completed a marketing degree in 2010
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 am
Just focusing on the study part because I agree with everything, by the fact that we rarely play cricket and when we do, it’s over the holiday period, isn’t it sort of ingrained in the design that there is plenty of time to study while playing cricket?

I don’t know, to me it seems piss easy to be part of full time study online and play cricket. It doesn’t seem the same obligation as Oz.
There may be merit on formalising and say ‘we have a study assistance program’ and then just not change a thing of people feel better about it.
As someone who does study full time online and work, it definitely is not piss easy, but it can be done. I also only work part time and still it is a lot, particularly depending on the course you are doing.

There is also no way we are only playing during holidays. You don't just have your match. You have training camps and preparation days. Recovery days. Fitness days, travel days. Then you need to keep up your training whilst you are studying. All that adds up so it definitely is not as easy as, "study whilst its class time and play whilst its holiday, super easy"

If you are doing all that without a guarantee of income or support from the board to assist you in being able to earn an income whilst on the pathway for development, then you are forced to choose. 99 times out of 100, you choose the opposite of ZC. You are right though. The solution is really simple here, but ZC wont do that because it means swallowing some of their pride.
Do/did you study part time or full time?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Zimco wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am

Only certain degrees can be studied online, mainly commercw type degrees
I don't do a commerce degree and I am online

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:44 pm
If you want to play cricket. This timeout to study thing makes zero sense to me. Not if you want to be an elite cricketer. Yo I simply can’t take a 3/4 year sojourn. You’ll literally forget stuff.
Most degrees CAN be studied online. But lets put that aside for a moment.
Pretend ZC are very uni friendly.

How is this model
Juniors cricket > study uni > international cricket > eventual career

Better than;
Juniors cricket> international cricket> study > eventual career

It’s not beneficial to anyone to chop and change like that,

Starting the degree at 34 will at least give you life experience to choose your degree.

the hammy way ruins your development as an elite cricketer and hampers your future career prospects.
No one cares today if you completed a marketing degree in 2010
You can do both. Many Aussies are currently studying and playing cricket along with in a proper development programme. There is no reason to choose one or the other. You can also study in person and do this programme like many of the guys here. In saying that though, most of our Unis have decent cricket programmes too so they cater and work for that too, and they work closely with CA if there is a particular player that is part of CA or any state team plans.

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:47 pm

Do/did you study part time or full time?
I currently study full time.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 am
We seem to come back to this study and play model in every other thread. So, just out of curiosity, if ZC is to implement an obvious plan on these lines, the current Director of Cricket at ZC must be able to share enough knowledge on how it can be done. Wasn't he himself a beneficiary of going to SA for higher studies and coming back to cricket once he got the degree?

Does anyone know if and how the then ZC (ZCU) helped him (with finer details of financial aid, cricketing support, selection criteria, etc. if anyone knows it) so that that could be the bare minimum to expect?
Trying to see if we can get any info on this. Does anyone have any info on how ZCU helped Hammy and reintegrated him after his studies? One could demand that he does the same at the very least for the younger folks trying something similar...

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

I'm obviously not in the know, but I doubt there was much planning. ZCU was in complete disarray after the rebel walk-out and Hami came back pretty much straight into a depleted national side after finishing university.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I think regardless of the one and outs, nuts and bolts and crossed T’s and dotted I’s, we can ALL agree that ZC must do more for a succession plan in siding cricketers adjust to post athletic life.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Interesting link on players who do both, study and play cricket, many of them for the international side.

https://thecricketlounge.com/2020/04/5- ... education/

It definitely can be done, but ZC being ZC won't do it.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:42 pm
Interesting link on players who do both, study and play cricket, many of them for the international side.

They don’t want to do it but life after the big 4 will force them to do it. I see them first pushing Ervine, Raza and Williams to play until they are 40 then eventually seeing there is no option

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:24 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:42 pm

They don’t want to do it but life after the big 4 will force them to do it. I see them first pushing Ervine, Raza and Williams to play until they are 40 then eventually seeing there is no option
I don't think they will be forced. I feel ZC is too stubborn to acquiesce to such things. They would rather shoot themselves in the foot than actually give in.