Ryan Higgins

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:43 pm

Is it ZC’s fault that they are not being paid on time? Genuine question. If the ICC is in charge of their finances I don’t know how they can be at fault there
It probably kind of is if they did not agree to a plan in which they got the funds from the ICC in time to pay the players.

In saying that, ZC are definitely to blame for a lot of things. Look at how they reacted when Streak was guilty. They celebrated it and were kicking him whilst he was down. Then look at the treatment of PJ. Or the treatment of any of the other white kids who were genuine talents and skill, but were overlooked for their skin colour, or ambition to earn a uni degree or a living from a secured income.

On a side note, I've had guys on twitter talking about how expensive cricket balls are and ZC can't afford them, yet Makoni and Hammy are on high wages. What is the point
I’m sorry I will never agree with anybody having to skip the line because they went to uni or if you are not in form. The truth is PJ hasn’t been in any form for years but people will choose to ignore that. It’s just like how Chatara is on the sidelines or Jongwe was sidelined for 6 years. It’s across the board. Nothing to do with race when it comes to players being treated like crap. They do it to everybody

Did you see the stats of the Pakistan guy who had almost 600 first class wickets but was waiting for his debut? This happens in every country. Also this Uni thing is ridiculous as the Dogg has pointed out multiple times. If you take that route you can’t expect to just walk into the team anymore. How long must we wait for Murray? Apparently now he is working in the U.K. does that sound like somebody who really wants a cricket career?

If Evans puts in good performances and is on standby after 1 season then walks away can we really blame ZC for that? How many good seasons have the likes of Masuku and Nyauchi had? You shouldn’t get preferential treatment because you have options. The whole system will collapse. 90% of the guys who play the domestic game get shafted by ZC every year.

Somebody like Chivanga jumping the line has surely caused a lot of internal issues that people just can’t see yet. It’s not a good look.

Zimco
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:11 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by Zimco »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:50 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:43 pm

Is it ZC’s fault that they are not being paid on time? Genuine question. If the ICC is in charge of their finances I don’t know how they can be at fault there
It probably kind of is if they did not agree to a plan in which they got the funds from the ICC in time to pay the players.

In saying that, ZC are definitely to blame for a lot of things. Look at how they reacted when Streak was guilty. They celebrated it and were kicking him whilst he was down. Then look at the treatment of PJ. Or the treatment of any of the other white kids who were genuine talents and skill, but were overlooked for their skin colour, or ambition to earn a uni degree or a living from a secured income.

On a side note, I've had guys on twitter talking about how expensive cricket balls are and ZC can't afford them, yet Makoni and Hammy are on high wages. What is the point
I’m sorry I will never agree with anybody having to skip the line because they went to uni or if you are not in form. The truth is PJ hasn’t been in any form for years but people will choose to ignore that. It’s just like how Chatara is on the sidelines or Jongwe was sidelined for 6 years. It’s across the board. Nothing to do with race when it comes to players being treated like crap. They do it to everybody

Did you see the stats of the Pakistan guy who had almost 600 first class wickets but was waiting for his debut? This happens in every country. Also this Uni thing is ridiculous as the Dogg has pointed out multiple times. If you take that route you can’t expect to just walk into the team anymore. How long must we wait for Murray? Apparently now he is working in the U.K. does that sound like somebody who really wants a cricket career?

If Evans puts in good performances and is on standby after 1 season then walks away can we really blame ZC for that? How many good seasons have the likes of Masuku and Nyauchi had? You shouldn’t get preferential treatment because you have options. The whole system will collapse. 90% of the guys who play the domestic game get shafted by ZC every year.

Somebody like Chivanga jumping the line has surely caused a lot of internal issues that people just can’t see yet. It’s not a good look.
Yeah but that is because of the system in other countries, meaning there are jobs so people can support themselves whilst playing FC or the FC system pays something.

In Pakistan, the FC would pay more than Zim I imagine and there are more jobs in pakistan.

Well yeah looks like Murray is working in the UK with a good job, we can keep losing good talent If we follow your approach.
Big companies recruit people With incentives but ZC doesnt actively recruit people.

All I'm saying is never blame players for looking after themselves If thats what they want to do. It's not a race thing either, black players with options often do the same thing.

TapsC2
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by TapsC2 »

https://www.cricingif.com/news/75530/PC ... -structure

From my understanding of this an elite Pakistan domestic player gets USD 1000 a month. Including match fees they can make about 20k a year. The lowest paid gets about 300usd a month. Before 2020 they were all on less than 350usd a month. Which is what that guy was earning the majority of his career.

The difference is not as crazy as people think. Also think about how half the guys who play here might be club level. A few years ago the domestic captains here were getting paid more than the guys in Pakistan

TapsC2
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by TapsC2 »

With the ICC approving wages it’s either we are not that far off other nations (also considering our allocation. Pakistan probably gets 10x more than us) or the ICC is a criminal organization

User avatar
zimbos_05
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 am

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:50 am


I’m sorry I will never agree with anybody having to skip the line because they went to uni or if you are not in form. The truth is PJ hasn’t been in any form for years but people will choose to ignore that. It’s just like how Chatara is on the sidelines or Jongwe was sidelined for 6 years. It’s across the board. Nothing to do with race when it comes to players being treated like crap. They do it to everybody

Did you see the stats of the Pakistan guy who had almost 600 first class wickets but was waiting for his debut? This happens in every country. Also this Uni thing is ridiculous as the Dogg has pointed out multiple times. If you take that route you can’t expect to just walk into the team anymore. How long must we wait for Murray? Apparently now he is working in the U.K. does that sound like somebody who really wants a cricket career?

If Evans puts in good performances and is on standby after 1 season then walks away can we really blame ZC for that? How many good seasons have the likes of Masuku and Nyauchi had? You shouldn’t get preferential treatment because you have options. The whole system will collapse. 90% of the guys who play the domestic game get shafted by ZC every year.

Somebody like Chivanga jumping the line has surely caused a lot of internal issues that people just can’t see yet. It’s not a good look.
Never said anybody should skip the line, but your argument holds little weight as players are being picked, and have been picked, not on form. Chamu, Wellington, Prince, Maruma come to mind. Even our coaches are our coaches not on form. What improvements have you seen from any of our players that warrant the coaches having the roles they have? What have Matsi and Hondo done to earn their positions? So your whole thing about form being the reason is hogwash. PJ has a higher average than most in the side and continues to get overlooked. To me it seems its because he was the guy who came in at 3 in the qualifier.

No one said anything about having the boys who go to uni walking in to the side. The point is that ZC refuses to engage with anyone who wishes to pursue other parts of life and play cricket. ZC pre 2004 you may have a point as playing cricket in Zim and for Zim was a very viable career path. However, the ZC board have messed up ZC so they have forced all these youngsters to consider other options just so that they can put food on the table.

ZC refuses to develop a system that allows youngsters to play cricket and study Uni. ZC keeps giving ultimatums and making up ludicrous rules. Heaps of Australian players play cricket and study. A lot of the women players in Aus work second jobs. You can't be close minded to these things and the wider world. TM and Makoni drive around in flash cars yet when a player wishes to look after their own livelihood, they cast them aside.

If he is in the UK, then I'm guessing it's because of all those ultimatums ZC gave him about "all in for ZC or nothing".

ZIMDOGGY
Posts: 5133
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:25 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:50 am


I’m sorry I will never agree with anybody having to skip the line because they went to uni or if you are not in form. The truth is PJ hasn’t been in any form for years but people will choose to ignore that. It’s just like how Chatara is on the sidelines or Jongwe was sidelined for 6 years. It’s across the board. Nothing to do with race when it comes to players being treated like crap. They do it to everybody

Did you see the stats of the Pakistan guy who had almost 600 first class wickets but was waiting for his debut? This happens in every country. Also this Uni thing is ridiculous as the Dogg has pointed out multiple times. If you take that route you can’t expect to just walk into the team anymore. How long must we wait for Murray? Apparently now he is working in the U.K. does that sound like somebody who really wants a cricket career?

If Evans puts in good performances and is on standby after 1 season then walks away can we really blame ZC for that? How many good seasons have the likes of Masuku and Nyauchi had? You shouldn’t get preferential treatment because you have options. The whole system will collapse. 90% of the guys who play the domestic game get shafted by ZC every year.

Somebody like Chivanga jumping the line has surely caused a lot of internal issues that people just can’t see yet. It’s not a good look.
Never said anybody should skip the line, but your argument holds little weight as players are being picked, and have been picked, not on form. Chamu, Wellington, Prince, Maruma come to mind. Even our coaches are our coaches not on form. What improvements have you seen from any of our players that warrant the coaches having the roles they have? What have Matsi and Hondo done to earn their positions? So your whole thing about form being the reason is hogwash. PJ has a higher average than most in the side and continues to get overlooked. To me it seems its because he was the guy who came in at 3 in the qualifier.

No one said anything about having the boys who go to uni walking in to the side. The point is that ZC refuses to engage with anyone who wishes to pursue other parts of life and play cricket. ZC pre 2004 you may have a point as playing cricket in Zim and for Zim was a very viable career path. However, the ZC board have messed up ZC so they have forced all these youngsters to consider other options just so that they can put food on the table.

ZC refuses to develop a system that allows youngsters to play cricket and study Uni. ZC keeps giving ultimatums and making up ludicrous rules. Heaps of Australian players play cricket and study. A lot of the women players in Aus work second jobs. You can't be close minded to these things and the wider world. TM and Makoni drive around in flash cars yet when a player wishes to look after their own livelihood, they cast them aside.

If he is in the UK, then I'm guessing it's because of all those ultimatums ZC gave him about "all in for ZC or nothing".
Just focusing on the study part because I agree with everything, by the fact that we rarely play cricket and when we do, it’s over the holiday period, isn’t it sort of ingrained in the design that there is plenty of time to study while playing cricket?

I don’t know, to me it seems piss easy to be part of full time study online and play cricket. It doesn’t seem the same obligation as Oz.
There may be merit on formalising and say ‘we have a study assistance program’ and then just not change a thing of people feel better about it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

**
Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 9095
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by jaybro »

If anyone at ZC had half a brain or any initiative they would start a program like Dogg is talking about, offer scholarships for universities & other education avenues for aspiring cricketers. This way it keeps the good young cricketers in the game & gives them a fall back option if things don’t work out on the field for them.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

User avatar
zimbos_05
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 am

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 am
Just focusing on the study part because I agree with everything, by the fact that we rarely play cricket and when we do, it’s over the holiday period, isn’t it sort of ingrained in the design that there is plenty of time to study while playing cricket?

I don’t know, to me it seems piss easy to be part of full time study online and play cricket. It doesn’t seem the same obligation as Oz.
There may be merit on formalising and say ‘we have a study assistance program’ and then just not change a thing of people feel better about it.
As someone who does study full time online and work, it definitely is not piss easy, but it can be done. I also only work part time and still it is a lot, particularly depending on the course you are doing.

There is also no way we are only playing during holidays. You don't just have your match. You have training camps and preparation days. Recovery days. Fitness days, travel days. Then you need to keep up your training whilst you are studying. All that adds up so it definitely is not as easy as, "study whilst its class time and play whilst its holiday, super easy"

If you are doing all that without a guarantee of income or support from the board to assist you in being able to earn an income whilst on the pathway for development, then you are forced to choose. 99 times out of 100, you choose the opposite of ZC. You are right though. The solution is really simple here, but ZC wont do that because it means swallowing some of their pride.

User avatar
CrimsonAvenger
Posts: 9032
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:57 am
Supports: Mountaineers
Location: India

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

We seem to come back to this study and play model in every other thread. So, just out of curiosity, if ZC is to implement an obvious plan on these lines, the current Director of Cricket at ZC must be able to share enough knowledge on how it can be done. Wasn't he himself a beneficiary of going to SA for higher studies and coming back to cricket once he got the degree?

Does anyone know if and how the then ZC (ZCU) helped him (with finer details of financial aid, cricketing support, selection criteria, etc. if anyone knows it) so that that could be the bare minimum to expect?

Zimco
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:11 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Ryan Higgins

Post by Zimco »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 am
We seem to come back to this study and play model in every other thread. So, just out of curiosity, if ZC is to implement an obvious plan on these lines, the current Director of Cricket at ZC must be able to share enough knowledge on how it can be done. Wasn't he himself a beneficiary of going to SA for higher studies and coming back to cricket once he got the degree?

Does anyone know if and how the then ZC (ZCU) helped him (with finer details of financial aid, cricketing support, selection criteria, etc. if anyone knows it) so that that could be the bare minimum to expect?
Only certain degrees can be studied online, mainly commercw type degrees

Post Reply