2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: 2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Post by Zimco »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:25 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:02 pm
At some stage Blessing deserves to bowl with a fully fit Jarvis and Chatara. He needs partners. Let’s hope it happens this year . Ngarava still needs a couple of seasons but he will get there
This is never going to happen. Mammoth task for Chatara to regain his place - I reckon he's about 7th in the pecking order of quick bowlers now. He's getting fatter and slower every year....

Doubt Jarvis will ever play for Zimbabwe again either.

Chivanga, Blessing & Ngarava is the best we've had for a long time and I hope we see all three for Bangladesh.
Jarvis can If he wants to. It would be great to see all these bowlers competing for spots. The succession from the last group of bowlers to the current bowlers has gone more smoothly than I fear the batting will.

The future is not as dark as is portrayed. I can see a team being built around Wes, blessing, Shumba and Ngarava, maybe burl If his spin keeps improving. Sri Lanka has possibly had more problems recovering from the loss of the their great players like sangakarra etc.
Last edited by Zimco on Fri May 07, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Zimco wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:40 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
TapsC2 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:02 pm
At some stage Blessing deserves to bowl with a fully fit Jarvis and Chatara. He needs partners. Let’s hope it happens this year . Ngarava still needs a couple of seasons but he will get there
This is never going to happen. Mammoth task for Chatara to regain his place - I reckon he's about 7th in the pecking order of quick bowlers now. He's getting fatter and slower every year....

Chivanga, Blessing & Ngarava is the best we've had for a long time and I hope we see all three for Bangladesh.
Jarvis can If he wants to. It would be great to see all these bowlers competing for spots. The succession from the last group of bowlers to the current bowlers has gone more smoothly than I fear the batting will.
Jarvis hasn't played for over a year already. Very strong and credible rumours locally at the start of the current season that he was retiring. Then he caught Covid & Malaria and ended up intensive care hospital and unable to play sport for up to 6 months.

At the age of 33, does he have anything to prove? Does he really NEED to regain fitness and form and force his way back into the team past a load of young guns? I can't see him bothering. Also can you imagine how much pace he will have lost after all of this?

It's really sad it's ended this way as he's one of my favourites of all time but I'm almost certain he won't play for Zim national team again.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

He is 32. At least having him in the set up would be great to finish or round off these young bowlers. A good coach/mentor to them like younis and misbah do for pakistan.

He hasn't had pace for years. Im sure he could Trot out for the couple of tests Zimbabwe gets a year for one or two more years. But yeah no idea how he has recovered or if he wants to

saifulsohel05

Post by saifulsohel05 »

What's the condition of Roy Kaia? Is he fit now?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Zimco wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:40 pm
secretzimbo wrote:

Jarvis hasn't played for over a year already. Very strong and credible rumours locally at the start of the current season that he was retiring. Then he caught Covid & Malaria and ended up intensive care hospital and unable to play sport for up to 6 months.

At the age of 33, does he have anything to prove? Does he really NEED to regain fitness and form and force his way back into the team past a load of young guns? I can't see him bothering. Also can you imagine how much pace he will have lost after all of this?

It's really sad it's ended this way as he's one of my favourites of all time but I'm almost certain he won't play for Zim national team again.
The only thing is Jarvis was a bit forward thinking and remodelled his action a few years back to not rely on pace.
So unlike chatara, he could comfortably return and bowl his 125 plodders and be as good as before. Which would still make him top 3.

And why would he do it? World Cup and the cheese.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I hope Burl is getting ready to roll his arm over. Our spin department is barren.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:28 am
I'm a self confessed Regis fan for ages on these forums. But can't allow that to stop me from criticizing him. Especially in our last 3 tests, he was our second most experienced player. What stopped him from putting his hand up and come in at 5? I think the 100 he scored in BD along with Hammy - he came in at 5 or 6.

Also, though he comes in at 6 or 7, he doesn't always gets stuck with the tail if we see the history. He has gotten out and that is how we get to see the heroics of someone like Tiripano more often. And he has proven to be completely oblivious to the concept of farming the strike when he is indeed stuck with the tail, taking singles in the first or second delivery of the over. If he does not offer to come higher up the order and is happy with whatever he can get that keeps him in the side, it is not good enough.

Having said all this, there is of course no other option available in tests at least, so his average of 25 gets him into the team anyway.

This test is another opportunity for him to step up. Let us see how he goes. Apart from that BD 100 and 70+* to save the game vs WI, there is nothing much of note. May be his very first test vs NZ where others were going down like ninepins.
This sums it up perfectly, Regis no doubt has been disappointing on what we expected when he first hit the scene, but there are no better options with gloves or bat.

Until there is Regis is safe, it would be nice if he started to do better but we make do with what we have till someone steps up. As Secretzimbo said an average of 25 as a keeper batsman for Zim is ok.

Similar situation with the spin department, there is literally no one better than Chisoro unfortunately. Even Cremer really wasn’t that great at Tests numbers wise, he averaged 45 which isn’t great.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

What was everyone’s thoughts on the two Chisoro lbw shouts that Erasmus turned down? Unlike the Australian broadcasters who show a thousand replays we didn’t see too many?

They looked pretty straight to me? Maybe the first one might have hit outside the line?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:12 am

There are other current players with better stats and ability? Who are these magical people.

- Murray? Hasn't played cricket in god knows how long. Not interested.
- Moor? Hasn't kept wicket in a Test since 2016 I think. Is not as good as Regis with the gloves. Has not performed for the past two years. Shows very little effort or application in his game. Don't think he's ever getting into this team as a keeper. So as a batsman it's not a straight comparison with Regis.
- Mutumbami? Worse record
- Gumbie? Poor cricketer.- Tsiga? Poor record
- Cunningham Ncube? LOL!

Who are these other options.

Regis has batted at number 7 or 8 for years. I stand by that averaging 25 in Tests as a wicketkeeper for Zim at that batting position is a really good record.
He's made a few mistakes recently with the gloves but generally through his career he has been an excellent keeper with the gloves.
For one, Moor has better stats. Murray has far better ability. However, we all know the story with these two, so I'm not going in to it.

Regis is also not a great wicketkeeper. He let about 10 runs go past him in the first test because of poor wk technique. He also has not performed with the bat, and the fact that the likes of Tiripano have outperformed him in this department of late, goes to show that it is not a poor wicket he is batting on.

If people are going to criticise Moor for poor keeping, you can't excuse Regis for the same. If you are going to be harsh on other players for poor statistics, then the same has to be applied to Regis. Based on all that, you can't really say he is the best we have.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:52 am

For one, Moor has better stats. Murray has far better ability. However, we all know the story with these two, so I'm not going in to it.

Regis is also not a great wicketkeeper. He let about 10 runs go past him in the first test because of poor wk technique. He also has not performed with the bat, and the fact that the likes of Tiripano have outperformed him in this department of late, goes to show that it is not a poor wicket he is batting on.

If people are going to criticise Moor for poor keeping, you can't excuse Regis for the same. If you are going to be harsh on other players for poor statistics, then the same has to be applied to Regis. Based on all that, you can't really say he is the best we have.
No one is saying Regis is elite at either batting or keeping, but of who is available he’s the best keeper/ batsman Zimbabwe have available for Tests.

Looks like he might bat at No.3 this test so he has a chance to put in a decent score he desperately needs