2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: 2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 am
Fans will continue to talk about Ives, Evans, Keefe, Schadendorf, Roche, Matigimu, Muyeye but these players have no interest for Zim, they will just use Zim under 19 tag for their personal career making.
How can they be stopped realistically? They will tell ZC that they are committed to Zim before the U19 selection and then walk away at the first available opportunity after the U19 world cup. How is it possible to stop this anyway? Contractual obligations at U19 level? They can pay some fine and go away. Their entire future - either as cricketer or something else - is at stake. They won't mind breaking a contract (if present) and move. So, there is no easy way to tackle this. Not only for Zim, but for any country. Just because someone plays at U19 level, they are not dutybound to play for their country. It is just good if it happens. But the world is full of opportunities.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Exactly. The west indies have had a similar problem but currently they must be keeping communication with their players cause some play in T20 leagues and come back for west indies for world cups etc.

farhanhussan

Post by farhanhussan »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 pm
I see alot of prospect in Zimbabwe younstars in shorter format. Marumani is talented kid, if he develops a bit of match awareness he can be that aggresor Zim needs at the top. Marumani should open both in Odis & T20s. Wesley Madhevere has an excellent future to be among the best allrounders. Objective should be, both this young players should get more balls to face as both are quite good aggresor and timer of the ball. Kamhukunkamwe should continue to feature in Zim playing XI he has the game awareness developing in him.

Musakanda is finished, he deserved backing when he was dropped, when he made debut under Streak, he looked to be the next big think and a gun fielder, but getting dropped hurt his confidence.

Burl,Jongwe & Tiripano should bat higher up in the order in shorter formats for their respective franchise to learn the art of finishing games all of them have the ability to hit the bowl hard.Richard Ngarava should develop the art of bringing the bowl into the right handers, once he learn that art, he will win matches for Zim

Taylor, Williams, Ervine, Raza, Jarvis....
now it looks blink that this 5 could again feature in Zim Playing XI again, one or the other will always get missed out due to injury, fitness lacks in these 5 star players and at present Zim had no replacement for these players so they will struggle in longest format as experience matters in longest format.

Raw truth is Zim has no future in test cricket for next 5 - 6 years unless ICC comes with new plan but they have huge chance & materials to build up and become a competative side in shorter format and become giant killers. Zim now requires a good coaching unit, someone like Whatmore who is best in coaching weak teams.
I have different view. Competitors of Zim will be Ireland Scotland Netherland uae Nepal Oman namibia Canada and USA in t 20. Full members are out of reach of Zim.
With all these nations having stronger domestic set up for t 20 now or in coming years,. With European league in European countries everest league in Nepal, t 10 leagues in uae and Canada, influx of players into usa, namibia outstanding development program among associates, it will be tough to remain at same level for Zim with no proper t 20 league. With top management being clueless and mere looking for personal gains instead of plight of cricket in Zim, things looking very bleak for Zim.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:34 pm

K-long was so frustrating and disappointing in the last couple of series. I'm finding it hard to forgive him. I'm not sure he's the future really.
This is what worries me. K-long was the guy who everyone spoke about as having the potential and skill, but looking at him now he has just stagnated. He has grown the Chamu/Mire hair (seems to be the bad luck charm) and seems to just be comfortable with being average. He comes out there and swings wildly at just about everything without any thought or tactical nous, and then ends up underperforming.
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:27 am
How can they be stopped realistically? They will tell ZC that they are committed to Zim before the U19 selection and then walk away at the first available opportunity after the U19 world cup. How is it possible to stop this anyway? Contractual obligations at U19 level? They can pay some fine and go away. Their entire future - either as cricketer or something else - is at stake. They won't mind breaking a contract (if present) and move. So, there is no easy way to tackle this. Not only for Zim, but for any country. Just because someone plays at U19 level, they are not dutybound to play for their country. It is just good if it happens. But the world is full of opportunities.
With sound structural organisation, clear defined pathways, support for studies and further education, and developing a steady programme for progression from U19 through to an A side, and then national team.

I understand your point about not being duty bound and the players obviously have no obligation, but ZC does have to do a bit more to ensure its competitive future.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 am
If we are being honest Murray is actually a serious issue. The future team only balances with him there. Even the current test team, Regis would open. Does anyone actually have the real story about what happened and what is happening?
A year ago I had extremely credible oil that he was very interested in playing and was pumped to do so. And just needed to wait until end of 2020
not long after, googly had info to the contrary so who knows
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:08 am
. He has grown the Chamu/Mire hair (seems to be the bad luck charm) and seems to just be comfortable with being average.
Haha that’s a good point! :lol: might be onto something here with the hair!!! When we appoint new coaches I think we ought to appoint a new team barber too!

Also @rajkumar sharma - we can’t create a ‘law’ to ban anyone leaving the country lol! I think some of our non Zim posters on here aren’t quite aware of life in Zimbabwe. People in every profession leave. It’s not a cricket thing. Teachers, lawyers, doctors, accountants, scientists, engineers - many qualified or skilled professionals who have a realistic chance to work and live overseas take that chance. There’s not a huge amount ZC can do and I think it’d help if you read up more on Zim as a country and economy. Black or white, people will leave. We pay our nurses $3 a day for 14-hour shifts in some hospitals....

So I think we have to be realistic about what ZC can magically do. An obvious thing would be to pay players more instead of Makoni pocketing a crazy salary and flash cars etc of course. But the country is still the country and people will want to leave no matter what ZC do.

I left and worked overseas. I was an English teacher with an Education degree from SA. Things were going well in my Zim school and then suddenly the headteacher of my school changed inexplicably , I was told I was ‘too white’ and I wasn’t paid for three months. So of course I left. I worked in China for three years but inevitably I came back. I missed home!!!

So when it comes to people like Murray, Moor, Welch, B Curran etc I think we’ll have to wait and see. Despite everything, Zimbos are generally proud and quite a lot of people in all professions do return. I know doctors who went to England but have come back for a paltry salary because they love their country and miss the lifestyle. BT and Jarvis returned. Admittedly they got paid a fortune to come back but BT spoke loads at the time about how unhappy he was in England and how homesick and desperate to be back in Zim he was. Also remember a lot of the Zimbos who leave - most of their families remain here. It’s a different when an entire family emigrates, but when a young guy goes on his own you’ll see a decent proportion end up back.

What ZC can do?
- Ensure salaries are paid. This seems to have improved since ICC took over and it seems to be okay this year.
- More fixtures domestically. And DATES IN ADVANCE. Organising a Logan cup fixture the night before it starts is a joke. Publish a full season fixture list in October each year and I think we’d be surprised how many people would be able to make themselves available. This is crucial.
- Communicate better. If someone’s dropped, tell them why. Tell them exactly what they need to do and how to improve to get back in the team.
- Support people who go overseas, KEEP IN TOUCH and let them know they are welcome back in a few years if they want to return home. Because a decent proportion WILL return at some point. Keep the door open!

We can’t change the economy, or the government, or ‘laws’ but ZC can do these small realistic things to help

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

farhanhussan wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:57 am
I have different view. Competitors of Zim will be Ireland Scotland Netherland uae Nepal Oman namibia Canada and USA in t 20. Full members are out of reach of Zim.
With all these nations having stronger domestic set up for t 20 now or in coming years,. With European league in European countries everest league in Nepal, t 10 leagues in uae and Canada, influx of players into usa, namibia outstanding development program among associates, it will be tough to remain at same level for Zim with no proper t 20 league. With top management being clueless and mere looking for personal gains instead of plight of cricket in Zim, things looking very bleak for Zim.
Did you forget we just outplayed Pakistan in a T20 series, were arguably the better team in all three matches and really should have won all three? We made Pakistan look very average in that format.

I think you are way off if you think some of the countries you listed have more talent than Zim. The talent this country produces despite all the challenges is insane. Our domestic cricket is still of a significantly higher standard than all of the countries you listed and that is a fact. Watch a club game in the Netherlands or a InterPro stream in Ireland and you'll be amazed how low quality it is. Most of these countries have 3 or 4 really good players and then outside of that the quality is pathetic, it's way worse than Zim.

USA will be good in a few years but they are just purchasing South Africans and Sri Lankans so fuck them. I'd rather be shit than pay a load of mercenaries who have never set foot in the country.

The thing is, people have been saying what you have been saying for the past 17 years now and we keep going, we keep surviving. We keep over-performing and we keep producing talent of a higher quality than most of those nations you have listed. Someone like the Netherlands might produce a handful of excellent county players but their depth beneath that is really poor.

Oh and a country organising some dodgy corrupt T10 league doesn't indicate development or talent or future success I don't think.

Governance & coaching are the issues but as I've said in this thread I think we've seen improvements this season and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:25 am
we can’t create a ‘law’ to ban anyone leaving the country lol!
Well, they want to introduce a law to make it such that it's unlawful to say something bad about the government and the country, so introducing insane laws are not beyond them.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

ZC is growing fruits without getting an opportunity to taste. If no law is enforced in stopping Zim cricket talents moving to other nations, there can be a huge struggle for existance for Zim as a cricket nations in future, how many can neglect offers and bright future leaving patriotism. A
And this thread going to have most comments in comming years as more talents to be added in this list
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21668

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I’m going against the grain here, but is this ‘excellent bunch of youngsters’ really any better than the mid rate guys of the recent past? The Sibandas, Matsi’s, Regis, Waller, Burl etc?

Or is it an illusion from them hitting the scene at once?

I know they are only young but I can’t see anything Marumani, shumba, Myers, musakanda are doing better
Than the past, more than they have just hit the scene at once.

Wes has shown a bit of ooomph, and should go well, but even so I’m getting a vibe more on a Hamilton Maskadza quality level. Which is Zimbabwe good but not good enough to be the pack leader.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*