2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Post by secretzimbo »

farhanhussan wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:26 pm
eugene wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:22 pm
Following Zimbabwe has become largely a waste of time sadly. I didn't even bother to check the scorecard when I woke up as I knew what it would read. A dismal first innings with a score in the 30s (a Zimbabwean century) as our best. With the game already lost and all pressure gone the second innings goes a bit better with a high score of 80 (a Zimbabwean double century) and Brendan Taylor deciding to swing the bat a bit with an innings that bears little relevance to the game situation.
Voices are raised that Zim should not play test cricket. With all the politics in Zim cricket. Black and white fight, where whites leaving the Zim for county. Local talent not upto the mark. These r the words coming up. Zim can abstain themselves from test cricket and play more of t 20s.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You crack me up

Seriously though, why are you wasting your life on a forum for Zimbabwe cricket fans if you aren't one lol.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:13 pm

I think you are being ridiculously harsh tbh. Kept wicket for 2 whole days - largely very well bar 1 mistake including an excellent cheeky clever stumping. His catch off Sajid was an absolute worldie too. Then came out basically as an opener immediately afterwards (early Tari wicket), and top scored in the innings. Then batted almost immediately again (another early Tari wicket) and then top scored once more. Looked a class above anyone else. Also his chirping and leadership behind the stumps shouldn't be overlooked. He seemed significantly more bothered than BT - our captain - did through the match. Regis was setting fielding placements at one point even when BT was stood right next to him at first slip doing fuck all and looked like he had given up.

His first time batting up the order in several years. In the context of the game and the way the rest of the team completely folded, he should be commended.

By far the biggest positive we take from this game is Chakabva's performance. But if people are absolutely intent on negativity and criticism then fine. Find Rishabh Pant and give him a Zim passport and I'll join in the Regis criticism. But he's by far and away the best wicketkeeper in the country and when given the opportunity up the order one of the better batsmen too. And he's just had a great game in the context of the match and the series.
Considering he is the "2nd best player" in the team, a 30 and a 80 are the least you expect from him. It's also expected that he would be able to come out and perform when asked. It's his role as WK unfortunately that you stand behind the stumps all day and then have to bat. So it's not really anything to write home about.

In saying that, certain players are standing in the field all day. Chasing balls and trying to make catches. Certainly covering more KMs than the WK and then needing to bat.

He was responsible for many mess ups as WK in the 1st test and dropped a very important catch in the 2nd. Such errors can't be happening regularly at an international level. We can't keep making excuses for basic errors and accepting a low level of mediocrity.

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

Zimbos_05, jeez you're hard to impress! Regis was on the field for almost all of 3 days, looked very assured while top-scoring in both innings, took a blinding catch and a very cheeky/quick-witted stumping, and you're still moaning. I don't think you realise how hard it is for a wicketkeeper to bat in the top 3 in test cricket. Their concentration levels while fielding have to be so high, hour after hour. In the modern era, I can only think of Sangakkara who could pull it off. Alec Stewart certainly couldn't.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

andrewn9 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:36 pm
Zimbos_05, jeez you're hard to impress! Regis was on the field for almost all of 3 days, looked very assured while top-scoring in both innings, took a blinding catch and a very cheeky/quick-witted stumping, and you're still moaning. I don't think you realise how hard it is for a wicketkeeper to bat in the top 3 in test cricket. Their concentration levels while fielding have to be so high, hour after hour. In the modern era, I can only think of Sangakkara who could pull it off. Alec Stewart certainly couldn't.
I've not done it at test level, but i've stood behind the stumps and opened the batting at club level in Australia in 38 degree heat (one season I was fasting), so I have some idea of the toughness required to fulfil the role.

I'm not saying the 80 wasn't good, I'm merely stating that if we let our level of standard drop too far, we risk becoming far too complacent as a team and our overall standard drops. We then fall to levels of Netherlands or Namibia or Kenya, whilst the rest of the teams like Nepal, Ireland, Afghanistan, Scotland all push further ahead.

Remember, when we perform like this, the other nation ask questions why we keep getting the funding and they don't. We need to prove why we are a test nation and why we deserve our spot. Being happy with a top score of 30 runs, dropped catches or letting the ball get past you for byes is not that.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The general belief is that criticism must at least be fair across the board. One can't pick the best performer in the match (by far) and criticize him while not speaking about the rest. At least roast the other 10 folks too, so that the standards are clear! :)

For me, Regis and Blessing are the only guys who come out of this test match with their heads held high.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:32 am
The general belief is that criticism must at least be fair across the board. One can't pick the best performer in the match (by far) and criticize him while not speaking about the rest. At least roast the other 10 folks too, so that the standards are clear! :)

For me, Regis and Blessing are the only guys who come out of this test match with their heads held high.
I'm not saying that Regis performance with the bat in the second innings was horrible. It's obviously our best, but the discussion has evolved from secretzimbo calling him the best option we have. Based on his performance with the bat yesterday, perhaps. With the gloves, I would definitely say no, and I said this watching him in the domestic comp too.

I've also been vocal about the rest. Spoken up about Prince and Kasuza before. I spoke up about Chisoro and Ngarava. I said that I don't think our players are as good as many were making them out to be. I've been very highly critical of Tiripano as a bowler and still stand by that I don't think he is good enough to be our 3rd option.

You must remember, it's much easier to play when the pressure is off. We really had nothing to lose in the second innings, so the pressure was not as much as could have been. Regis still did very well, but BT's style of play is evident to the lower pressure level I would say.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 am
but BT's style of play is evident to the lower pressure level I would say.
Shouldn't BT be getting castigated as well then?

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

USA taking cricket seriously offering career to ex under 19s and ex international cricketers.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18 ... 21082.html

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:11 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 am
but BT's style of play is evident to the lower pressure level I would say.
Shouldn't BT be getting castigated as well then?
He should. He was poor the whole series. The discussion was around Regis though.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 am
USA taking cricket seriously offering career to ex under 19s and ex international cricketers.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18 ... 21082.html
This just indicates that people would anyway go to USA for financial stability, and among those folks, there would be a few people with good cricketing skills too. So, this is a good strategy for them to woo cricketers from other parts of the globe. With national economy in disastrous state, this can't be Zimbabwe's strategy at all.

Also, making up a team comprising of expats is hardly motivating. Countries who are able to put out teams largely comprising of their own national talent - no matter how small the playing pool is - deserve a lot more respect.

Having said that, the USA coach J Arun Kumar, known popularly as Jak, was an excellent coach for Karnataka during his tenure. So, expect him to spot the right talent and get them going in the right direction. But not thrilled to see this approach for making up the national team. Much rather be a Zimbabwe than a USA on this front.