Zimcricket selection criteria

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Zimcricket selection criteria

Post by Tinah09 »

Please help me out, how do Zim selectors select the national tean? Do they select based on current ability? potential?. Most nations cap young, highly talented players with little first class ecperience based on U19 etc performance, as was thr case for Graeme Smith (SA), Steve Smith (AU), Cook and Root (UK). I get thats what Zim selrctors are doing with Wes, Shumba, Maru. Apart from that they endeavour to select the nations best players. What I dont get, is why Kaitano, a player in his late 20s, with a sorry first class average of 25 (mind you based on a weak Logan cup) is getting selected??? Whilr Moor who has a healthy international average of 35, yet is being overlooked? Is there any logic behind this?. Some say that he had a bad/average domestic season, but does this overide his good international test batting average?. Why do we even record these stats for, if team selevtion isnt based on them?? On a bright note, its great that we now have at least 4 tall, quick, kinda- menacing pace bowlers (Muzarabani, Ngaraca, Chivhanga, Nyauchi)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimcricket selection criteria

Post by secretzimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:45 pm
Please help me out, how do Zim selectors select the national tean? Do they select based on current ability? potential?. Most nations cap young, highly talented players with little first class ecperience based on U19 etc performance, as was thr case for Graeme Smith (SA), Steve Smith (AU), Cook and Root (UK). I get thats what Zim selrctors are doing with Wes, Shumba, Maru. Apart from that they endeavour to select the nations best players. What I dont get, is why Kaitano, a player in his late 20s, with a sorry first class average of 25 (mind you based on a weak Logan cup) is getting selected??? Whilr Moor who has a healthy international average of 35, yet is being overlooked? Is there any logic behind this?. Some say that he had a bad/average domestic season, but does this overide his good international test batting average?. Why do we even record these stats for, if team selevtion isnt based on them?? On a bright note, its great that we now have at least 4 tall, quick, kinda- menacing pace bowlers (Muzarabani, Ngaraca, Chivhanga, Nyauchi)
We've no idea on actual selection criteria and it's all very murky. Typical ZC.

Senior Selectors are currently; Mutendera, Shepherd and Ewing, presumably with a lot of input from Hammy.

Over the past year or so the selectors have stressed that domestic performance is the key and they have gone on record strongly encouraging everyone - including the most senior players - to make themselves available for all franchise matches in all formats.

Kaitano is not good enough, at all. He did, however, just have a decent season so it backs up the policy of playing domestic and being rewarded for it. Frankly we have hardly any other good openers so it's difficult for the selectors. I'd rather they try new people than go back to Chari or the like.

Wes & Shumba will open eventually but it seems they are (rightly) trying to give them a chance to gain experience further down the order first.

Your point on PJ Moor has been addressed many times. He lost the gloves with Tuskers which suggests his keeping has declined yet further. Therefore he needed runs to get into the team, in a crowded middle order. He had 1 good match but otherwise underwhelmed this season. He then asked to be selected for the Pak T20's a month in advance, and when ZC told him to earn his place in the domestic T20, he chose to go and play a poor standard of cricket in Ireland. I don't know if he plans to play for Zim or Ire in the future but he needs to up his game if he wants selection for either. Considering all our injuries, he probably would have actually been in this squad. I bet he regrets his decision now whilst he pads up in 6 degrees weather on some farmers field in Ireland.

It's ZC. There will always be favourites. It will never be 100% fair. But what I would say is that I think selections this year has been better than previous years and seems to be heading in a positive direction.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimcricket selection criteria

Post by jaybro »

Hamilton’s best friend - Chamu - captain

Hamilton’s brother - Wellington

The rest they pick from a hat
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement