Spin bowling talents in Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Spin bowling talents in Zimbabwe

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Elcano wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:03 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 am
sloandog wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:47 pm
A poor man's Ryan Burl.
:) that is some comparison! Burl himself belongs to a poor man :D
sloandog wrote:
By the way, you all slate Ryan Burl off for his batting but I'm telling you, he will come good and he will prove me right. We're lucky to have him
Even if we keep that batting part aside, he appears to be the best spinner in the country right now. Not a great reflection on the country's spinning talent, but he looks pretty solid.
But Burl is only White ball player ..
Has he decided to not touch the red ball? :D

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Elcano wrote:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
sloandog wrote:
A poor man's Ryan Burl.
sloandog wrote:
By the way, you all slate Ryan Burl off for his batting but I'm telling you, he will come good and he will prove me right. We're lucky to have him
Even if we keep that batting part aside, he appears to be the best spinner in the country right now. Not a great reflection on the country's spinning talent, but he looks pretty solid.

Is he? He isn’t. That’s rubbish!

He’ll be as good if not better in red ball eventually I think. Also interesting to note he is working very hard on his bowling as we speak. Clear he thinks he has a better shot of cementing his place as predominately a bowling all rounder at number 7 or 8 than battling his way into the top 6.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

And yet he has the talent to open the batting.
Such a shame how ZC have mismanaged his batting career so far.
He has a lot of ability and he'll come good in red ball cricket, watch this space

Elcano

Post by Elcano »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 am
Elcano wrote:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

He’ll be as good if not better in red ball eventually I think. Also interesting to note he is working very hard on his bowling as we speak. Clear he thinks he has a better shot of cementing his place as predominately a bowling all rounder at number 7 or 8 than battling his way into the top 6.

I disagree ..
I believe he won't be success with ball in tests ..

Test cricket more accuracy in bowling nd more turn nd better googlies .. Ryan Burl bowling style is suitable for white ball cricket ..where batsman tries to score runs quickly ..

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Elcano wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:36 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Elcano wrote:

I disagree ..

Test cricket more accuracy in bowling nd more turn nd better googlies .. Ryan Burl bowling style is suitable for white ball cricket ..where batsman tries to score runs quickly ..
I think you are doing him a disservice really. He's a talented boy and a much harder worker than a lot of his contemporaries. I think he'll be a late bloomer and really kick on in the next few years, in all formats including red ball. He's working on his bowling a lot.

Elcano

Post by Elcano »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:43 pm
Elcano wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:36 pm
secretzimbo wrote:

I disagree ..

I think you are doing him a disservice really. He's a talented boy and a much harder worker than a lot of his contemporaries. I think he'll be a late bloomer and really kick on in the next few years, in all formats including red ball. He's working on his bowling a lot.

Hopefully he does ..

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

People act like Williams and co came in and started scoring centuries from the beginning. We struggled for years. Burl will come good. He just needs to find his role in the team.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:37 pm
People act like Williams and co came in and started scoring centuries from the beginning. We struggled for years. Burl will come good. He just needs to find his role in the team.
Absolutely. He's shown as much promise as Sean Williams did during the first 2 years of his international career

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:58 pm
Absolutely. He's shown as much promise as Sean Williams did during the first 2 years of his international career
This made me just dig up the stats to see how they compare, not a serious exercise but for fun. Sean debuted in Feb 2005 and Burl in Feb 2017. So, took the first 4 years of both players across formats. This is what it looks like:

Sean Williams:
889 runs from 35 matches. 9 fifties, 0 hundreds, average of 30.65
10 wickets at 55.80 with the best of 3/23
Williams' 50s: Ban * 4, WI * 1, SA * 1, Pak * 2, Ken * 1

Ryan Burl:
554 runs from 38 matches. 2 fifties, 0 hundreds, average of 21.30
18 wickets at 28.80 with the best of 4/32
Burl's 50s: Ire * 1, Ban * 1

Obviously Burl is significantly better with the ball and Sean significantly better with the bat.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Domestic Cricket matches played among lower ranked Teams ( excluding Club Cricket)

Bangladesh

BPL ( T20) - 46
Twenty20 Cricket League - 15
Dhaka Premier League ( 50 overs) - 84
BCB President's Cup ( 50 overs) - 7
National Cricket League ( 4 day ) - 24
Bangladesh Cricket League ( 4 day ) -7

Ireland

Inter-Provincial Series ( 4 day) - 6
Inter-Provincial Cup ( 50 overs) - 12
Inter-Provincial Trophy ( T20) - 18
Euro T20 Slam - New concept to start

Afghanistan

Ahmad Shah Abdali 4-day Tournament - 25
Ghazi Amanullah Khan Regional One Day Tournament - 12
Afghanistan Provincial Challenge Cup - 15
Shpageeza Cricket League T20 - 19

Zimbabwe

Logan Cup 4 day Competition - 10
Pro 50 One Day Competition - 12
Domestic T20 Competition - 12

Difference in number of domestic cricket matches clearly indicates Zimbabwe players will lack match situation awareness as they play quite less number of domestic cricket compared to other lower ranked teams