Spin bowling talents in Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Elcano

Re: Spin bowling talents in Zimbabwe

Post by Elcano »

Mavuta is no good ..his action doesn't help .. he is far far away from international level

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 am
Did not watch Masara in any of the matches. But definitely impressed in general with whatever I saw of Chipungu. And Jonathan Campbell as well.
Masara, from what little I saw, doesn't look to turn the ball at all; much like Kamungozi if anyone remembers our secret T20 WC "weapon" from some years ago.

Chipungu needs time and tons of work, but there is some promise there.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Efforts should be made in developing Wrist Spinners then finger spinners. Mavuta was looking good but in & out of the team shattered his confidence, his club cricket stats in seaming tracks of UK was impressive. He was not only a leg spinner but someone who can make runs at the lower order. A leg spinner allrounder is very rare in cricket, Zim had Paul Strang and now there is Rashid Khans for Afghanistan.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:28 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Did not watch Masara in any of the matches. But definitely impressed in general with whatever I saw of Chipungu. And Jonathan Campbell as well.
Masara, from what little I saw, doesn't look to turn the ball at all; much like Kamungozi if anyone remembers our secret T20 WC "weapon" from some years ago.

Chipungu needs time and tons of work, but there is some promise there.
Oh wow, that's a scary comparison for Masara! I had forgotten about Kamungozi altogether!

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
I'm impressed with him too. Unlike most of our legspinners, Chipungu actually turns the ball and also bowls a decent googly. He has potential, but he looked a little raw to me. He isn't ready for international cricket yet imo.

Elcano

Post by Elcano »

grant wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:33 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
I'm impressed with him too. Unlike most of our legspinners, Chipungu actually turns the ball and also bowls a decent googly. He has potential, but he looked a little raw to me. He isn't ready for international cricket yet imo.

He needs to be given chance to develop nd sharpen his skills.. like National academy programme or something

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Campbell Jnr wasn't bowling half trackers. I watched a lot of the games and he bowled lovely. Absolutely worth sticking with. As I say, could be a left wing selection in the years to come for the T20 side. A poor man's Ryan Burl.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

By the way, you all slate Ryan Burl off for his batting but I'm telling you, he will come good and he will prove me right. We're lucky to have him

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:47 pm
A poor man's Ryan Burl.
:) that is some comparison! Burl himself belongs to a poor man :D
sloandog wrote:
By the way, you all slate Ryan Burl off for his batting but I'm telling you, he will come good and he will prove me right. We're lucky to have him
Even if we keep that batting part aside, he appears to be the best spinner in the country right now. Not a great reflection on the country's spinning talent, but he looks pretty solid.

Elcano

Post by Elcano »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 am
sloandog wrote:
A poor man's Ryan Burl.
:) that is some comparison! Burl himself belongs to a poor man :D
sloandog wrote:
Even if we keep that batting part aside, he appears to be the best spinner in the country right now. Not a great reflection on the country's spinning talent, but he looks pretty solid.

But Burl is only White ball player ..

It will be a waste if we depend on him in tests as well for his bowling ...