Spin bowling talents in Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Spin bowling talents in Zimbabwe

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:42 am
Graeme Cremer has left a truly gaping hole in our national side
Even though it’s probably too late now being three years out of the game and in his mid thirties, I don’t understand why ZC didn’t chase him harder to return.
He was at his best, has made continual comments about hoping t one day represent Zim again and his friend group are still playing.
I know that’s not a slam dunk because he left the country but it is low hanging fruit with a bit of effort.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

He is only 34 so could have easily had another 5 years left in him form this point.
His batting will be missed too as he was becoming a genuine bowling all rounder.

It wasn’t all that long ago he scored a test century.
Something no player of ours under the age of 32 has managed to do.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

It's just very dissapoiting. Mavuta looks like he hasn't developed the way he should have done and the other spinners we have tried haven't exactly been penetrative. I like Chisoro, but he's clearly more suited to LOI's.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Mavuta is a strange one. He is only 24, got 100 FC wickets but he just doesn’t look the part . ‘A’ cricket is what’s lacking. That jump is just too much for most of these guys

farhanhussan

Post by farhanhussan »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am
Mavuta is a strange one. He is only 24, got 100 FC wickets but he just doesn’t look the part . ‘A’ cricket is what’s lacking. That jump is just too much for most of these guys
It's all about the quality of the cricket they are playing. Domestic competetion is very below PAR in standards. Pitches are slow. Nagarva chisoro Wellington ndolvu were getting many scalps in domestic competetion but in test match they were never looking like a wicket.
Recommendation is that a Zim selected team of talented 16 players be drafted into South African provincial tournament. So those guys can hve taste of higher standards. Let's see mavuta can hve 5 wickets against free state or border team.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Mavuta looks like the Mutombodzi / Maruma of his generation. Does not have any control left on his leggies. long hops and full tosses have become a commonplace. Those wicket counts are misleading as he has got a lot of lower order wickets. I fear ZC selecting him again on just those numbers and a huge massacre awaits us if that is done.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Did not watch Masara in any of the matches. But definitely impressed in general with whatever I saw of Chipungu. And Jonathan Campbell as well.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 am
Did not watch Masara in any of the matches. But definitely impressed in general with whatever I saw of Chipungu. And Jonathan Campbell as well.
Campbell Jnr could be a half decent, left wing selection for a T20 squad. Of what I have seen he is very similar to Ryan Burl. Steady leg spin, gun fielder, although he isn't as good with the bat.

farhanhussan

Post by farhanhussan »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 am
quality is so low that u can get a half decent player into Zim colour. Campbell statistics were nice but he was bowling half trackers too.
It will be interesting to see Ireland vs Zim series. Will both team are still ewuivelnt in standards or Irish has moved on.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:20 am
Mavuta looks like the Mutombodzi / Maruma of his generation. Does not have any control left on his leggies. long hops and full tosses have become a commonplace. Those wicket counts are misleading as he has got a lot of lower order wickets. I fear ZC selecting him again on just those numbers and a huge massacre awaits us if that is done.
Yeah but zampa was pretty awful for years. Leggies need persisting with.