The Lost Talent Blues

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kallum

Re: The Lost Talent Blues

Post by Kallum »

Just been watching the Sussex v Kent game and Nathan Gilchrist a 20 year old from Harare looks a seriously decent bowler with alot of potential, bowls at a good pace

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Just wanted to add Bothwell Chapungu to the list. He has played club cricket in the UK as late as Sep 2020.

Also, Ronnie Chokununga has played in NZ and UK in late 2019.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Andrew Durham was a big loss 20 years ago. https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/andr ... tar-108049

I'm not sure why many on this forum are optimistic about the talent coming through, what is there to suggest that even if these guys are talented they will stick around? They are even less likely to stick around if they really are world class talents. Zimbabwe is finished as a relevant cricketing nation sadly, our future is simply being a glorified associate. The only thing that could change this situation is competent governance in the nation as a whole which I don't see happening. ZANU-PF show no signs of relinquishing power and the MDC are just as useless. Many of us have been on this forum for 15 years looking for glimmers of hope and shoots of progress and things have only got worse. The post-rebel Zimbabwean team (Taylor, Taibu, Rainsford, Chigumbura, Matsikenyeri, Ebrahim, etc) was probably more talented than our full-strength team now. It is game over.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

eugene wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:43 pm
The post-rebel Zimbabwean team (Taylor, Taibu, Rainsford, Chigumbura, Matsikenyeri, Ebrahim, etc) was probably more talented than our full-strength team now. It is game over.
:lol: Of all the insane over-pessimistic wrist-slitting takes on here, this is surely the most absurd of them all! :lol: :lol:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 pm
eugene wrote:
The post-rebel Zimbabwean team (Taylor, Taibu, Rainsford, Chigumbura, Matsikenyeri, Ebrahim, etc) was probably more talented than our full-strength team now. It is game over.
:lol: Of all the insane over-pessimistic wrist-slitting takes on here, this is surely the most absurd of them all! :lol: :lol:
Is it absurd though?
Chigumbura in his day was a very capable lower order hitter, someone who we havent been able to replace, and in his youth was a more than capable bowler.
Elton at 25 years of age would be perfect in that Tiripano role. As good a bowler and a superior bat.
He even earnt a county contract as an overseas player! No one has done that since, I think only Flower has done that previously.
Of course, Elton 30+ was putrid, but thats because the Takashinga crew never seem to accept when their time is up. But talent he had, by our standards.

Taibu would walk into the team today and was a superior keeper to Regis and a slightly better batter.

Ebrahim was the definition of the negative zimbo batting stereotype. Super inconsistent, couldnt hit harf at all. Limited. But unlike the guys outside of the fab 4 of today who are just as inconsistent, Dion was capable of getting a century on his day. That is the difference between that gen and this one. Today we go asleep when hitting a 50. He was also a sensational fielder, best in the team.

Matsi had skill but no better or worse than a Prince or a Kasuza.

Rainsford no worse than our weakest link atm.

So on the balance of it, comsidering BT and Willo were part if that team too, they were likely stronger.

The only argument against is Raza wasnt there yet (If we are talking late 00's) and Ervine improved alot.

Ervine and Willo did what no other black batsman can seem to do (besides Don who doesnt really count) and improve as they got older.

Black zimbabwean batsmen ALWAYS seem to go backwards. I cant think of one who was a better bat at 32 (when a bat should peak) as opppsed to their early 20s.

The forum is getting a little sensitive this year on the race thing but it is true. I dont know why, but it is.

And I think ZC should investigate why the most talented black batsmen we have had- Elton, Hammy, Matsi, Vusi, Chamu and even Kasuza who was a gun kid, get worse the older they go.

There are signs that is happening to Wes too, but too early to judge.

What is causing that? It makes no sense. You should progressively get better until 33-35. Why was Hammy at 17 better than the Hammy at 34?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:43 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 pm
eugene wrote:
Is it absurd though?
Chigumbura in his day was a very capable lower order hitter, someone who we havent been able to replace, and in his youth was a more than capable bowler.
Elton at 25 years of age would be perfect in that Tiripano role. As good a bowler and a superior bat.
He even earnt a county contract as an overseas player! No one has done that since, I think only Flower has done that previously.
Of course, Elton 30+ was putrid, but thats because the Takashinga crew never seem to accept when their time is up. But talent he had, by our standards.

Taibu would walk into the team today and was a superior keeper to Regis and a slightly better batter.

Ebrahim was the definition of the negative zimbo batting stereotype. Super inconsistent, couldnt hit harf at all. Limited. But unlike the guys outside of the fab 4 of today who are just as inconsistent, Dion was capable of getting a century on his day. That is the difference between that gen and this one. Today we go asleep when hitting a 50. He was also a sensational fielder, best in the team.

Matsi had skill but no better or worse than a Prince or a Kasuza.

Rainsford no worse than our weakest link atm.

So on the balance of it, comsidering BT and Willo were part if that team too, they were likely stronger.

The only argument against is Raza wasnt there yet (If we are talking late 00's) and Ervine improved alot.

Ervine and Willo did what no other black batsman can seem to do (besides Don who doesnt really count) and improve as they got older.

Black zimbabwean batsmen ALWAYS seem to go backwards. I cant think of one who was a better bat at 32 (when a bat should peak) as opppsed to their early 20s.

The forum is getting a little sensitive this year on the race thing but it is true. I dont know why, but it is.

And I think ZC should investigate why the most talented black batsmen we have had- Elton, Hammy, Matsi, Vusi, Chamu and even Kasuza who was a gun kid, get worse the older they go.

There are signs that is happening to Wes too, but too early to judge.

What is causing that? It makes no sense. You should progressively get better until 33-35. Why was Hammy at 17 better than the Hammy at 34?
Could one argue that Regis has gotten better with age? Not saying he is a world beater but he definitely looks better now than a few years ago and he is 33 I think. I wouldn’t even mind seeing him in our ODI middle order at this point. Not based on stats but just based on how he is playing. A lot more confident

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

PJ has also gotten worse. Burl with the bat too. It might be a coaching problem. The likes of Williams and Ervine and Raza might just be on autopilot at this point

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:23 pm
It might be a coaching problem.
It's this, 100000%. Especially the last few years. Our batting coach is a guy who played 131 internationals and never scored a century. He wouldn't get anywhere near our strongest team nowadays, so is he really a good man for the job? . Our Head Coach is a nice affable guy with a good career behind him but from what I've heard doesn't seem to do much at all or put much effort in.

Despite this thread detailing all the guys who have left, there is still bags of talent in Zim and will be in the future too. Talent isn't the problem, never has been. Decent coaching at national level AND franchise level will help massively.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Although they aren't great, Prince, Kaia, Shingi, Mutombodzi and Maruma have all improved from their early 20s.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Jemisi wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:37 pm
Although they aren't great, Prince, Kaia, Shingi, Mutombodzi and Maruma have all improved from their early 20s.
Massive Improvement by Mutombodzi :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-05-17-19-10-59_1.jpg
Screenshot_2021-05-17-19-10-59_1.jpg (81.05 KiB) Viewed 1435 times