Team kit

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Team kit

Post by Zimco »

Zim rugby is an interesting one. I think Zim rugby helped farai mudariki get a gig in France top 14 despite him going to school in South Africa. In return it looks like him and his brother want to play for zim rugby.

School boy rugby in Zim and Africa is quite a spectacle as well
A lot of buy in for School sport. Huge crowds.

Having said that even Zim rugby loses players like the curtis brothers who play in Ireland and obviously the beast. David Denton played for Scotland. But I don't think they bad mouth ZC or Zim as much as some cricketers.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zim rugby is nothing in the world scene.
Apart from being ranked around 59 and well outside the World Cup scene, they can’t be that great if even Australia is a top ten rugby nation despite it being a niche, all but dead game there.
I guess buying up kids from the islands and good old boys sponsorship betwoek skews the stats a bit, but the ultimate point is you don’t need a huge presence to be a top 25 rugby nation. Zim aren’t there, which tells me it’s very very niche.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

Rugby is not a niche sport if you go to zimbabwe. It is a very popular winter sport. Its just that there are more countries that play rugby to a quality or semi quality level than cricket and zimbabwe loses a lot of players in rugby as well to other nations. i checked and Zimbabwe is actually 35 in rugby and has been as high as 25.

Rugby is also huge in NSW and Queensland, plus the surrounding islands. To say it is niche in Australia is laughable.

Look at soccer, it is also huge in Zimbabwe but they average 84 in rankings ( currently 107) cause everyone plays soccer in the world.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:11 pm
Apart from being ranked around 59 and well outside the World Cup scene, they can’t be that great if even Australia is a top ten rugby nation despite it being a niche, all but dead game there.
I guess buying up kids from the islands and good old boys sponsorship betwoek skews the stats a bit, but the ultimate point is you don’t need a huge presence to be a top 25 rugby nation. Zim aren’t there, which tells me it’s very very niche.
The craziest part of it is that Rugby is more popular than cricket in Zimbabwe but cricket has more money. The sponsorship and new kit is part of a USD120k package. That is a big deal for rugby but compare it to ZC where that cant even cover our top player's salary for a year. It's a very strange situation. Guys like Musakanda who were good at both sports would have probably picked rugby if the money was the same.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:11 pm
Rugby Union is quite big here, at least here in Brisbane. There are plenty of big clubs and areas where it is burgeoning. Yes, some areas are more League than Union, but to say that it is niche is probably not correct.
TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:00 pm

The craziest part of it is that Rugby is more popular than cricket in Zimbabwe but cricket has more money. The sponsorship and new kit is part of a USD120k package. That is a big deal for rugby but compare it to ZC where that cant even cover our top player's salary for a year. It's a very strange situation. Guys like Musakanda who were good at both sports would have probably picked rugby if the money was the same.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that because there is more money in cricket it does not matter how the game is run and the players treated, they should just be grateful? Or are you saying that Rugby does not have enough money to be considered serious?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:44 pm
Rugby is not a niche sport if you go to zimbabwe. It is a very popular winter sport. Its just that there are more countries that play rugby to a quality or semi quality level than cricket and zimbabwe loses a lot of players in rugby as well to other nations. i checked and Zimbabwe is actually 35 in rugby and has been as high as 25.

Rugby is also huge in NSW and Queensland, plus the surrounding islands. To say it is niche in Australia is laughable.

Look at soccer, it is also huge in Zimbabwe but they average 84 in rankings ( currently 107) cause everyone plays soccer in the world.
It is niche.
The year before last, the highest Super rugby game viewership on TV was lower than the lowest rugby league game.
Union doesn’t get any paper time unless it’s the Bledisloe cup.
It is popular in the GPS elite schools and that’s it.
I grew up playing rugby in Sydney. I know. The quality level of players in eastern Australia is not comparable. Most backline rugby guys in the wallabies were failed league players.

There was one Sydney wide Comp by the time I was 18 outside the GPS system.
None of the catholic or Marist schools play Union. They play the commonwealth bank cup that’s televised.

There is a fairly popular pub footy scene of Union because I ts easier to play for Men with pot bellies, but these guys play Union and rush home to the pub in their rugby shirts to watch the NRL. It would annoy the saffers in the club I would help with a few years back.

Also look at the spread of the Shute shield teams in Sydney, 3/4 are concentrated in the north shore area. Where all the normal people live, western Sydney, they have one team, the two blues, my old club.

Rugby union is simply not popular with the common person in Australia, it is nice because he’s popular in private schools and private schools old boys, basically the elite

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Rugby Union ha sbeen at its lowest ebb in Australia, but I think it is starting to make a bit of a comeback. Over 40,000 went to the Super Rugby AU Final at Suncorp earlier this year, and tv viewership numbers on Stan Sport are actually quite decent. I reckon the NRL must be struggling a bit with all these blowout games, I know I am certainly watching fewer games at the moment as many results are a foregone conclusion.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Rugby Union ha sbeen at its lowest ebb in Australia, but I think it is starting to make a bit of a comeback. Over 40,000 went to the Super Rugby AU Final at Suncorp earlier this year, and tv viewership numbers on Stan Sport are actually quite decent. I reckon the NRL must be struggling a bit with all these blowout games, I know I am certainly watching fewer games at the moment as many results are a foregone conclusion.
That’s true and pleasing to see, but it can be no coincidence (as you mentioned elsewhere once) that this is likely due to the Covid situation and having limited choice of sport and options.
But good on temhem for capitalising.

Also another point to mention is Australian Rugby is pretty much broke.the Tv deal for super rugby was low, and they really heavily rely on Qantas sponsorship.

Rugby Union is a game here where if you go out looking for it, you’ll easily find it. But the fact is we have a whole generation of kids wherein a good chunk have grown up and don’t know a thing about the sport, yet are avid league followers.

Union was popular in the nineties and early 2000s, so it’s basically the kids of the last 15 years, and when they progress to adulthood and positions of power then we will see if the corporate dollar still supports the wallabies.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CROUNubJUXz/

The Sables seem to be having fun! Hope they make the WC this time. There is some organization there.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Mr Twig wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:54 pm
Warning: it might be a dodgy website. I believe this is the correct Ihsan website
ihsansports.pk

I still went through and ordered a Zim shirt on 25 April just to see what would happen. It was all a bit dodgy from the lack of size selection to the payment process. As of today, there's no sign that anything is happening with my order. Could be pandemic related or a straight out scam so we'll see.
I never got this order, so definitely don't buy from that website