Team kit

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Team kit

Post by Jemisi »

I really miss the ball hitting the fence. The foam ropes just always feel like we are cheating.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

sloandog wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:34 pm
I have a couple for sale
Which ones you got?

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

The Rugby boys always seem to get it right.

https://blksport.co.za/collections/zimbabwe-rugby

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:07 pm

They've been doing a lot right for a while now. They've got some International based players back, and players who had no interest in Zim come back knocking. They've brought in quality coaches too. Pocock has been approached to assist as well. They've set up training camps and friendly series to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers. They came close last time and are working strongly to qualify this time around. They've been improving quite well. They have good sponsors and good backing. BLK being an Australian brand as well is not a bad get for them.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:06 am
CholeZimbo wrote:

They've been doing a lot right for a while now. They've got some International based players back, and players who had no interest in Zim come back knocking. They've brought in quality coaches too. Pocock has been approached to assist as well. They've set up training camps and friendly series to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers. They came close last time and are working strongly to qualify this time around. They've been improving quite well. They have good sponsors and good backing. BLK being an Australian brand as well is not a bad get for them.
Let me guess.
They have a competent admin team that are actually passionate about the game?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:32 pm
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:06 am
CholeZimbo wrote:

Let me guess.
This is not fair because a lot of the time you guys dont realize you blame the country's problems on ZC. How many of those rugby players only earn a living from rugby in Zim? I want just 1 name. They are just really passionate about what they do, fancy kit or not. You dont get BT salaries(late or not) in rugby. In fact you dont even get Raza or Ervine salaries in rugby. You also dont get Murray like situations where one expects to walk in the team because they played in SA. They all put the hard yards in for very little money.

In the end whatever sport you are playing you have to love your country and make sacrifices. Cricket to be honest is the only sport where I know where people pick and choose when they want to represent their own country. Cricket is also the only sport I know in a 3rd world country where people expect to make lots of money without sacrifices.

1 domestic cricket season pays more than 4 domestic rugby seasons but you see guys playing just for the love of the game. For cricket we blame ZC for Club cricket dying like it's not supposed to have a membership system

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Let me guess.
Pretty much. This is a good article: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/6245 ... d-cup-wait
TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:31 pm
This is not fair because a lot of the time you guys dont realize you blame the country's problems on ZC. How many of those rugby players only earn a living from rugby in Zim? I want just 1 name. They are just really passionate about what they do, fancy kit or not. You dont get BT salaries(late or not) in rugby. In fact you dont even get Raza or Ervine salaries in rugby. You also dont get Murray like situations where one expects to walk in the team because they played in SA. They all put the hard yards in for very little money.

In the end whatever sport you are playing you have to love your country and make sacrifices. Cricket to be honest is the only sport where I know where people pick and choose when they want to represent their own country. Cricket is also the only sport I know in a 3rd world country where people expect to make lots of money without sacrifices.

1 domestic cricket season pays more than 4 domestic rugby seasons but you see guys playing just for the love of the game. For cricket we blame ZC for Club cricket dying like it's not supposed to have a membership system
A close school friend of mine played for the Sables up until a year or so ago. He played with them when things were much tougher than they are now and made a living through Rugby. They once all had to sleep on the streets of Tunisia.

Yes you are right that the players are passionate and determined and do what they do because they love it. However, this stems from the leadership. The board and admin put in a lot of work to get the players to get to this level. They earned respect from everyone and in turn the players are committed to the cause in the way that they are.

ZC on the other hand don't do this. They play favourites. They punish players for stupid things. They abuse their leadership. They steal money from the game. They then have the audacity to drive around in fancy cars whilst players can't even have proper gloves. They also fight tooth and nail when players or the SRC try to bring reform, and talk dismissively about Zim cricket. They hold a mightier than though mentality. You cannot tell me that ZC are not to blame for the death of club cricket and grassroots in the country?

I can guarantee that if a Zim rugby player put a tweet about broken boots, Zim Rugby would have been all over it reaching out to their network to find a solution, not looking to punish the player.

A lot fo the Rugby guys play in domestic comps around the globe, so that is also how they earn their money. Yes, some of them have other jobs outside of Rugby, but they always knew that Rugby was never going to be the highest earner in Zim. They know that the board is looking out for them though and secures sponsorship which brings in more money for the players.

I don't subscribe your blind patriotism. Yes you have to love your country, but that does not mean that your country gets to abuse you, not pay you, punish you for stupid things, lead by tyranny, and treat you as a sub class individual.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:37 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Let me guess.
Pretty much. This is a good article: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/6245 ... d-cup-wait
TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:31 pm

A close school friend of mine played for the Sables up until a year or so ago. He played with them when things were much tougher than they are now and made a living through Rugby. They once all had to sleep on the streets of Tunisia.

Yes you are right that the players are passionate and determined and do what they do because they love it. However, this stems from the leadership. The board and admin put in a lot of work to get the players to get to this level. They earned respect from everyone and in turn the players are committed to the cause in the way that they are.

ZC on the other hand don't do this. They play favourites. They punish players for stupid things. They abuse their leadership. They steal money from the game. They then have the audacity to drive around in fancy cars whilst players can't even have proper gloves. They also fight tooth and nail when players or the SRC try to bring reform, and talk dismissively about Zim cricket. They hold a mightier than though mentality. You cannot tell me that ZC are not to blame for the death of club cricket and grassroots in the country?

I can guarantee that if a Zim rugby player put a tweet about broken boots, Zim Rugby would have been all over it reaching out to their network to find a solution, not looking to punish the player.

A lot fo the Rugby guys play in domestic comps around the globe, so that is also how they earn their money. Yes, some of them have other jobs outside of Rugby, but they always knew that Rugby was never going to be the highest earner in Zim. They know that the board is looking out for them though and secures sponsorship which brings in more money for the players.

I don't subscribe your blind patriotism. Yes you have to love your country, but that does not mean that your country gets to abuse you, not pay you, punish you for stupid things, lead by tyranny, and treat you as a sub class individual.
I know multiple rugby players. They play for the love not money. I have even said it multiple times here that if the rugby guys had ZC money and salaries they would easily qualify. Not just about the board but also because of the heart. ZC is not to blame for everything. They are one of the best paying organisations in Zimbabwe.

I agree with the last part about the country. This is actually what I'm saying. A lot of the problems players face are because of a terrible economy and not ZC. This then puts pressure on kids to go to university, claim asylum etc.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:08 am

I know multiple rugby players. They play for the love not money. I have even said it multiple times here that if the rugby guys had ZC money and salaries they would easily qualify. Not just about the board but also because of the heart. ZC is not to blame for everything. They are one of the best paying organisations in Zimbabwe.

I agree with the last part about the country. This is actually what I'm saying. A lot of the problems players face are because of a terrible economy and not ZC. This then puts pressure on kids to go to university, claim asylum etc.
That love has to come from somewhere. in ZC guys like Chamu and Elton and Prosper were playing because they were in with the crew and know they can get their cheques without the effort. You have to create that atmosphere where the players know that it is not an easy pay cheque and that playing this game is not just about the money. The same as it was in the 90s and early 00s.

You also cannot sit there and say that the problems are not because of ZC. Are you telling me their handling of the Burl issue is correct? That the 2 decades of corruption is beyond their control? How about when TM said, "i dont have to be here, i have better things to do"? What about when the players went unpaid? What about the racism issues? Who is responsible for the death of grassroots cricket? How can you justify Makonis wages while Mudzinganyama goes out to play International Test cricket without decent gloves?

I get where you are coming from about the love of the game, but that only goes so far. It is a give and take and quite frankly, ZC have been all about take and no give. That is why the Rugby players play for the game. They know that the board is also giving and supporting and helping and actually making big efforts to improve.

With how long we have been a test nation and the diaspora out there, ZC should have a bigger network than Rugby, but we don't. We just tell everyone off, including our own, and continue to drive agendas and play favourites, and expect things to change.

I get that the economy is bad. I am not dismissing that as a factor, but that is when ZC has to be better than they are. The economy is to blame to a certain extent. After that, much of it falls on the board. If Zim Rugby can do it with far less money and support, why is a test playing nation struggling so much?

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

True Zimbo_05, I also saw on their Instagram page there have like an old boys official type of society where you can subscribe and stuff and donate whatever you can. I posted on page one of this forum about the Zim cricket brand and how it should be expanded but I think ZC personnel responsible for this does not have the swagger that is required. For me down here in South Africa, it has apparently become easier to buy a quality Zim rugby shirt than a ZC one and I am actually buying that Sables shirt. Of course ZC has made some improvements in recent times but their PR is terrible. That time they have the potential revenue of a rich upper class and top class Zimbabwe as well as the diaspora. UK, SA, Australia, if you get Zimbos involved in the game somehow, I am sure people out there are yearning for replicas, flags, memorabilia etc. I still fail to understand how Zim Rugby has an online platform through a good kit sponsor and ZC does not. Shocking.