Tendai Chatara

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Tendai Chatara

Post by CholeZimbo »

Personally I feel a fully fit Tendai Chatara should be back in our Test side. This is because to begin with, his absence from the team was injury induced and not a form issue and I believe with his experience he is the crucial 3rd pacer we are currently missing.

Having said this. There should be a national team selection policy, a channel from franchise to national team and each player should understand where exactly they are in this transition. The franchise teams should house players in well defined roles.

1) Youngsters with enormous potential who can be called up to the national team even after relatively a few games. e.g Myers, Marumani
2) Good international players who have lost form. e.g PJ Moor
3) National team players recovering from injuries and can return to national colors at any time unless they have been replaced by another in form outstanding player. e.g Tendai Chatara , Ryan Burl
4) Players who have failed at national level or have never been good enough domestically to fill up the numbers and keep the leagues going when national team players are away. Chamu Chibhabha
5) Retired national team players adding decent quality to the leagues and sharing knowledge with upcoming youngsters. e.g Chigumbura

We seem to be forgetting that a fully fit in form Chatara is our best bowler and he should not just be left to wander in domestic cricket unsure of his fate. Naturally demotivation will creep in and he will not perform to his standards domestically and eventually fall even further away. He is still in my Best XI.

Thoughts?

My best Test XI

Tarisai Musakanda
Milton Shumba
Craig Ervine
Brendan Taylor
Sean Williams
Sikandar Raza/Roy Kaia
Regis Chakabva (wk)
Ryan Burl (Need help here. We need a spinner to bowl may overs. Not sure if he is the man or it can be any top spinner in the land)
Blessing Muzarabani
Tendai Chatara
Richard Ngarava/Tanaka Chivanga/Victor Nyauchi

Whenever Blessing and Richard got tired, BT struggled to bring on someone to continue the pressure. I say we open with Blessing and any other new comer selected for the first 10 overs, then bring in Chatara to continue maybe alongside a spinner. At any given point in the test match, we should have one of our 3 pacers in action to genuinely sniff out something and not let the game fall away.

Keep Wesley in the squad to eventually replace one of the senior guys and then Ryan will grow to replace Sean Williams.

ODI

Tadiwa Marumani
Wesly Madhevere
Craig Ervine
Brendan Taylor (wk)
Sean Williams
Sikandar Raza
Ryan Burl
Welington Masakadza (Economy bowling is crucial in short format, builds wicket taking pressure)
Blessing Muzarabani
Tendai Chatara
Richard Ngarava

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Tendai Chatara

Post by secretzimbo »

I agree with pretty much everything else in your post but Chatara looked really unfit in domestics this season. Admittedly still good figures but he has put on weight and looked to be bowling slow. I think he's got a long way to go to win his place back. He's probably currently 5th in line after Blessing/Ngarava/Chivanga/Nyauchi and I think we may be better served focusing on those four going forward.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:23 am
I agree with pretty much everything else in your post but Chatara looked really unfit in domestics this season. Admittedly still good figures but he has put on weight and looked to be bowling slow. I think he's got a long way to go to win his place back. He's probably currently 5th in line after Blessing/Ngarava/Chivanga/Nyauchi and I think we may be better served focusing on those four going forward.
That is the thing, star players like him need to be assured of a return to stay focused and motivated. Right now he should be in some fitness rehab with proper experts. The youngsters are fine to have around, but Chatara is one of a few bowlers who remained consistent over a long period since making their debut. Most have had a couple of good games then fell, eg Tshuma, Mumba etc. An experienced fast bowler in the team is important i.m.o Fitness is a controllable keep him in the gym.

BT is still there looking very unfit, but that cameo innings shows that he still has the BT within him

Look at Shingi Masakadza, That is the body of a fast bowler who has made peace with never playing for Zim again, we cannot waste Chatara like that, there is a good 3 or 4 years left there.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It’s not an excuse for anyone but it is absolutely criminal for a fast bowler to get fat and overweight. Panyangara was another.

The amount of fitness a fast bowler needs to do, let alone an international, is insane.
To get fat means you are seriously lacking diet or work ethic.
I’d say the matter because of you are still running around, the diet wouldn’t matter that much.

It all went wrong when they opened the kfc near the ground
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Jofra Archer is being closely monitored by England at his county and his bowling spells are under the specification of the ECB as he recovers. That is how Chatara should be monitored and his fitness should be managed deliberately by ZC. We need this guy

farhanhussan

Post by farhanhussan »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:23 am
I would say u missed Brad Evans. He bowled brilliantly in domestic games with limited opportunities. I would say give him some exposure heo2uld perform better compare to current steamers of Zim.

farhanhussan

Post by farhanhussan »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:14 am
Jofra Archer is being closely monitored by England at his county and his bowling spells are under the specification of the ECB as he recovers. That is how Chatara should be monitored and his fitness should be managed deliberately by ZC. We need this guy
Chatara has lost pace I saw him bowling. He was not looking taking wickets even with poor domestic batting talent in Zim. Against good batting sides he would struggle.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

farhanhussan wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:25 am
CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:14 am
Chatara has lost pace I saw him bowling. He was not looking taking wickets even with poor domestic batting talent in Zim. Against good batting sides he would struggle.
A senior pacer with experience is what Chatara brings. Do not miss my point on him. ZC need to make his fitness a priority, he is definitely not finished unless he is left to go down that route. Blessing and him should be first 2 on the list and then the best of the emerging fast bowlers takes the third spot. 3 emerging bowlers in the same team run out of ideas quickly.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Happy To see Chats showing the gulf in class. Still early days but we desperately need him back.
Attachments
Chatara.PNG
Chatara.PNG (17.68 KiB) Viewed 1265 times