Jayden or Murray

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbofan88

Jayden or Murray

Post by zimbofan88 »

Here is a small interview from last year. It says, Jayden wants to play for Zim. We keep on hearing about senior team not having any backup keepers. There is no doubt that Regis is the only keeper who can bat a bit. Since PJ is gone, we need to look for future prospects. Two possible options are- either Murray or Jayden. Also, Cricinfo shows Marumani as a wicketkeeper batsman, who could be our best choice for our shorter formats.
We hear a lot about Murray being the best keeper but we forget about Jayden. That runout in U-19 was the highlight of the tournament. Murray is an excellent keeper but Jayden might be a better batsman with better package and county experience.

https://youtu.be/oHV6gJTQJGc
Last edited by zimbofan88 on Sat May 22, 2021 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

zimbofan88

Re: Jayden or Murray

Post by zimbofan88 »

On the side note-What an excellent batch of boys we are going to see in couple of years. Half of them from the last U-19- Myers, Wes, Marumani, Shumba, Bawa. Bowling stock is even better with Chivanga, Evans, Ngarava etc. The way Myers-Wes-Shumba played and carried out themselves throughout the tournament showed their confidence and extra punch that previous batches lacked( check how these young kids spoke infront of camera)
Not sure how others think about the kids. Are they better than Chigs, Taibu? or will they turn into ordinary players like Vusi, Matsi, Vermulean, Chibabha?

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

These youg kids are definitely talented but they won't kick-on. We don't have enough domestic cricket or international cricket for these guys to really learn their craft. Too often we have three weeks of Logan Cup, three weeks of rain, and then a seven month break until our next international series. Virat Kohli wouldn't flourish under such conditions, let alone our youngsters. This is what I find most depressing about Zimbabwean cricket at the moment, even if we do unearth young talent, the systems aren't in place to do anything with it.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

Wes has the greatest chance of kicking on cause he really has had an extraordinary amount of cricket, comparable to the Indians or Brits.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

Wes has the greatest chance of kicking on cause he really has had an extraordinary amount of cricket, comparable to the Indians or Brits.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

I thoguht it was Dane who kept and Jayden who bowled

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I don't get the the talk. I get these guys are talented, but they are young and raw. Without proper coaching, structure and guidance they wont kick on. We've always had talent come through but never been able to get them to reach the heights they need to. They also need to have the mentality and grit for it. Guys like Matsi and Vusi had the structure and support, but never kicked on as they should have. Even Hammy to an extent. For them they just were content with below par.

We're kidding ourselves if we think these youngsters are going to magically turn on the skill and dominate teams that we should be. They are talented and skilled because of the coaching they have at the age group level. There is a lot going on by committed people. We see this with Campbells academy and a couple others. Plenty of youngsters coming through getting the support. Once they get to ZC, it falls away. I am happy to be proven wrong by this board.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

There are a lot of changes that Hami has made which I think will benefit these kids a lot. The main feature is to play lots of cricket. Unlike before these guys are actually playing a lot . The talented guys that is. From domestic to NPL to ‘A’ cricket to U.K. club cricket. Constant cricket. There are more A games lined up. Then you have a lot more national games too.

The key thing to figure out now is player retention. This is not just ZC’s fault but a collapsing economy in general. Sport can’t be your only option in a country like ours and that pushes the likes of Myers to go to uni. They figure that out and we have a chance.

As for the topic I think we need both Dane and Murray. We need 3 or 4 genuine wicket keeping options. 1 injury and you will be recalling a 37 year old Chakabva

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I also think the excitement comes in because of the gap I always talk about. These kids might not be better than the BT generation but they are 100% better than the generation after that

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:45 am
There are a lot of changes that Hami has made which I think will benefit these kids a lot. The main feature is to play lots of cricket. Unlike before these guys are actually playing a lot . The talented guys that is. From domestic to NPL to ‘A’ cricket to U.K. club cricket. Constant cricket. There are more A games lined up. Then you have a lot more national games too.

The key thing to figure out now is player retention. This is not just ZC’s fault but a collapsing economy in general. Sport can’t be your only option in a country like ours and that pushes the likes of Myers to go to uni. They figure that out and we have a chance.

As for the topic I think we need both Dane and Murray. We need 3 or 4 genuine wicket keeping options. 1 injury and you will be recalling a 37 year old Chakabva
Couldn't agree more really. People hate to admit it but ZC has done good things in recent times and Hammy is doing well. It's not perfect and theres a million more things they could do, but heading in the right direction at least. The extremely talented group of boys mentioned earlier in the thread will benefit. Still a long way to go but we can be positive about the slow but steady progress being made by the board for sure.

I think we'll certainly see one or two overseas based players back in the fold in a couple of years once we start seeing retirements from the big names. Either one or two will come back on their own to give it a crack or we might see ZC dishing out a big contract or two to fill gaps in the team. But when it comes to Murray I think people are expecting too much. As someone rightly said recently, we don't really know and its all speculation. But theres no evidence of him playing cricket at all recently so I think it's a bit too optimistic to expect him to pick up a bat and gloves and suddenly be great again after such a long time out of the game.

I'm so unbelievably excited about our batting options and potential going forward and the pace bowling too. But wicketkeeping and spin bowling seems to be where we have holes. This is why we need more than 1 talented generation. We need the next U19 batch, and the one after, and the one after, to be equally as good - and then we can really talk about being competitive as a senior side with real depth and options throughout.