2nd Unofficial Odi | Zimbabwe A V/s South Africa A | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: 2nd Unofficial Odi | Zimbabwe A V/s South Africa A | Harare

Post by foreignfield »

A new sparring partner for Kriterion 8-)

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

:lol:
foreignfield wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:06 am

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:06 am
jaybro will not be amused with competition :D

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

:lol:

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

No intention of sparring anyone, just putting the arguement through stats.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 am

Bangladesh pacers taking early wickets against top rank teams doesnt have any impact in result of the game
But they have taken [some] early wickets, which was my main point. Glad you conceded to the facts. I watch Bangladesh very closely, obviously.

The general gist of your last post is correct (that Bangladeshi pacers struggled overseas against top ranked sides in seam friendly conditions) and yes, ultimately, the bowling performances (eg Jayed 5-fer vs India...4 actual wickets + 1 sitter dropped) still result in massive defeats but you've actually gotten the details all wrong.

For example:
after they pick early wickets, they are happy to get maidens,
This indicates you haven't actually watched the BD seamers bowl, lol!!! They actually do the exact opposite. After bowling well their initial spell, the BD seamers start spraying the ball all over the place and they end the innings with an economy rate well over 4 runs per over. I would actually prefer them to bowl more maidens in Test cricket. At least that way they keep the scoring rate down.
in present form, Mushfiqur will be the biggest worry for Zimbabwe.
Yes Mushy is almost never out of form. But don't forget about Tamim - he's due for a big score if you look at his most recent scores there are plenty of scores of 70, 80, and 90 but he hasn't ton'd up in a while. Then there is Mominul who's averaging nearly 48 since being named captain. Young Shanto also will have gained some confidence with the runs he scored in Sri Lanka a few weeks ago and I have very high hopes for him. Mahmudullah is no longer in the Test side and I hope Shakib is NOT selected because with him picking and choosing which matches to play ends up ruining the team balance, chemistry, and continuity. We should then be able to fit Mosaddek in, who has a Test average of 41 and a first class average of 57.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Have bangladesh got any decent young fast bowlers who can crank it up?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:05 pm
Have bangladesh got any decent young fast bowlers who can crank it up?
Shoriful is a bona fide fast medium. His first few overs average pace is 140, I reckon his effort ball will be around the 90 mph mark.

Taskin of course is 26 so not quite young.

Ebadat is 27 or 28 but was getting into the late 140s in Sri Lanka.

Khaled also 28 yo, can also break 140 but he's more of a 135 bowler unless he's gotten quicker.

Tanzim Hasan Sakib is 17 and can clock 140...he will spearhead the U19 attack next year.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Thats brilliant news. To have young lads who can bowl with some heat is exciting! Rubel still knocking about? His test bowling average is awful but last time I saw him bowl he sent down a 91mph rocket

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:40 am
Thats brilliant news. To have young lads who can bowl with some heat is exciting! Rubel still knocking about? His test bowling average is awful but last time I saw him bowl he sent down a 91mph rocket
Rubel is not terribly old (31 or 32) but he's lost a bit of pace, and the think tank is moving on from him. He will probably still make the odd appearance once in a blue moon when others are injured, but I firmly believe the sun has basically set on his career. Rubel was not a great seamer, but he served Bangladesh well in ODIs (poor in Tests and T20s). I always liked him, although he was not one of my favorites. He had a certain charm about him that I liked.

Out of the guys I mentioned the only youngin is Shoriful. Tanzim is still a junior U-19 player - I'm not even sure if he got picked up by a Dhaka Premier League team this season...but I think he's got something about him, and he was clocking 135-139 even as a 17 year old last year, so I suspect his pace will increase a bit over the next few years.

Bangladesh actually doesn't have a problem producing bowlers with "heat". We have yet to find an express quick (Ebadat might be heading there or thereabouts). Apart from Abu Jayed (ironically our most successful Test seamer to date), all the BD quicks can get up to 140 plus. Their problem is lack of development due to underutilization. We play at most 1 seamer in home Tests, on dead wickets so said seamer only bowls 15 or 20 overs in the entire match. Domestically seamers suffer a similar fate, and when Bangladesh plays an away Test in seam friendly conditions once every 2 or 3 years, the bowlers are totally ill equipped for those surfaces. The first spell of 5-6 overs are solid, and then they fatigue since they aren't used to bowling more than 10 overs in a day and start going for 5 runs an over, even on a greentop. The raw ingredients are there (bowlers taller than 6 feet, with 140 pace) but the actual skills of bowling (swing, bowling the right lines, developing a back-up plan, knowing when and how to contain when the pitch is too flat) haven't been developed because of underutilization and poor coaching. Bangladesh's pace bowling needs a total top-down rethink and overhaul.