Muzarabani selected to psl

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Muzarabani selected to psl

Post by Zimco »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:03 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:22 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:11 am
It appears IPL is touchy on Pakistani and Pakistan-adjacent cricketers. Something is gravely wrong with the IPL, it’s not a competition, because in a competition, teams sign potential match winners. When NBA teams draft players from abroad, it’s your Giants Atentekumpos, Jokics and other Funyun’s powerhouses. How the NBA of cricket (IPL), with their bottomless pockets gets away with signing a coeterie of bits and pieces players is a mystery
I thought that too but Moeen Ali comes in so..
It is also about BCCI's relationship with some of the boards. It is not a surprise that more Afghanistan players are selected in IPL over the last few years than Bangladesh or Sri Lanka players, when clearly Ban and SLN are having better players. BCCI enjoys a very good relationship with ACB.

Same goes for ECB and CA, the Big 3 bonding, we have seen some local Australian players get selected based on their domestic performances over internationals from other nations.

I may be wrong, but this is what I think.
I think it's a big assumption as Afghanistan players over the last few years have been good eg Rashid now a good Sri lankan player like hasaranga is getting picked. The fiz was picked for many years when he was in his best form. Shakib too. I don't see it when it comes to Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.

I do see that Pakistan and Zimbabwe play a lot so it's easier for Zimbabweans to get noticed for PSL than some other tournaments. For example, blessing etc.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Zimco wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:46 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:03 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:22 am

I thought that too but Moeen Ali comes in so..
It is also about BCCI's relationship with some of the boards. It is not a surprise that more Afghanistan players are selected in IPL over the last few years than Bangladesh or Sri Lanka players, when clearly Ban and SLN are having better players. BCCI enjoys a very good relationship with ACB.

Same goes for ECB and CA, the Big 3 bonding, we have seen some local Australian players get selected based on their domestic performances over internationals from other nations.

I may be wrong, but this is what I think.
I think it's a big assumption as Afghanistan players over the last few years have been good eg Rashid now a good Sri lankan player like hasaranga is getting picked. The fiz was picked for many years when he was in his best form. Shakib too. I don't see it when it comes to Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.

I do see that Pakistan and Zimbabwe play a lot so it's easier for Zimbabweans to get noticed for PSL than some other tournaments. For example, blessing etc.
I hope Blessing or Ngarava come into the LPL but they werent consistent enough. Fingers crossed

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:17 am
lobsang wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:17 pm
Jeez, during Zimbabwe cricket's heyday, about seven to eight players would have easily made into one of the IPL teams. Andy Blignaut, if he had not had a pause-play career, he would fetch big bucks, someone who could play big shots and bowl heavy balls. And Hearth Streak, a very good bowler who could bat and score quick runs. Flower Brothers would have been assets to any teams. Then Neil Johnson, what a quality all-rounder he was, he would not find it difficult to get a good buyer. And then Travis Friend was also someone good enough to play for an IPL team, someone who could bowl heavy balls and hit hard. And Sean Ervine, he was blooming at the time he left international cricket, would score quickly and could contribute with ball in hands too. And not to forget, Douglas Marillier, he did play a fine knock against India to take them home by scooping Zaheer and co.

The present Zimbabwe players honestly 90% have themselves to blame for not getting such valuable and lucrative gigs. They know that these days how much a player could earn by plying their trades in T20 leagues such as IPL, BBL, PSL and CPL to name few. I think these current lads are not motivated enough to improve their games even when they know the kind of opportunities being dangled out there for the taking. A war-torn country like Afghanistan have like 7 to 8 players plying their trade in prestigious leagues like IPL, BBL and PSL. Not everything that is happening for Zimbabwe players is ZC's doing. Ryan Burl, for example, could be playing in PSL or BPL if he is good enough, these lads gotta have the desire to learn and improve their games to be considered for such platforms.
Top post mate. Players should and must strive to keep improving, it will also help Zimbabwe in doing better at international level.

Honestly there is barely any comparison between the current lads and the ones who played for Zimbabwe in the past. Except for Brendan Taylor and Blessing, all others are weaker than the ones who played for Zimbabwe from mid 90s to early 2000s. The golden era for Zimbabwe cricket.
The players are almost certainly not good enough (barring Taylor, Williams, Raza, Blessing), but the ZC also doesn't organize enough T20 domestic tournaments to allow any of these guys to improve their games.

The Logan Cup is important, but then why don't ZC arrange more Tests? They could easily arrange 2-4 Tests vs Irelamd and Afghanistan every year plus the 2 or 3 they play vs WTC sides and voila you have 5-7 Tests per year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:20 pm
The Logan Cup is important, but then why don't ZC arrange more Tests? They could easily arrange 2-4 Tests vs Irelamd and Afghanistan every year plus the 2 or 3 they play vs WTC sides and voila you have 5-7 Tests per year.
Lol

'easily'

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:16 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Lol

'easily'
So what is your solution? For ZIM to play zero Tests because it's more feasible?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I think more LOI is the way forward for this side. Why spend a fortune on laying one test a year when it means nothing. I know, we have full membership and we should take owenrship of that, but if it's at the expense of the lads getting paid I'd forget about it for a while. Focus on where the money is, i.e T20's. We've actually got a lot better in this format.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:44 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Lol

'easily'
So what is your solution? For ZIM to play zero Tests because it's more feasible?
Well firstly let's take your idea of playing Ireland and Afghanistan. Ireland no longer play test cricket. They don't play domestic first class cricket. They are no longer a Test team. The fact they get 'Test' funding anymore than someone like Scotland is a bit of a joke when you consider that but hey ho. So we can't play them for a start.

We already played Afghanistan in Tests last year and we are playing them again in Tests this year. Any more often and it becomes even less appealing and exciting than it already is for all involved.

It costs well over $1million to host a 5-day Test match according to both cricket ireland and CWI. The only way it is even remotely sustainable is with significant sponsorship and a broadcast deal etc. Zimbabwe offers 0 broadcast market and very very little commercial sponsorship value locally. And for other boards, the value of playing Zimbabwe is much less appealing than playing literally anyone else commercially as well. The only other hope we have is large ticket sales, which would only really be generated at a high price for India or England. Neither are coming any time soon for obvious reasons.

There is ring-fenced funding for FTP matches and that is our only hope. Anything outside of the FTP and you are expecting ZC to stump up (and lose) vast sums of money per match, or for us to suddenly finally find a huge commercial backer (will never happen with this board), or for the world to suddenly care and be really interested in playing us.

Saying it's 'easy' is an absolutely retarded thing to say.

Limited overs internationals are easier and cheaper but still not free. There's fuck all left in the pot after ZC have paid their salaries, their shady 'expenses' for the boys club, and put on a full season of Logan Cup. You still need some buy in from - crucially - a broadcaster and sponsors, and unfortunately we have burnt our bridges with most credible ones, or we offer no value.

The only solution is the FTP mandating better fixtures for us and ring fencing funding for them. The loss of the Super League is absolutely disastrous for us. The next FTP may be grim.

It's all part of the strategy of the top few teams to shrink the game anyway. I don't blame them either -we are shit, have been for twenty years, and have continually pissed their money up the wall. I'm not surprised they aren't being too charitable towards us. Who would be?

Googly

Post by Googly »

I will never understand how a test costs a bar. Even if its itemised in front of me.
Everything is overstated so everyone eats, particularly the ICC guys themselves.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:47 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:44 am
secretzimbo wrote:

Lol

'easily'
Well firstly let's take your idea of playing Ireland and Afghanistan. Ireland no longer play test cricket. They don't play domestic first class cricket. They are no longer a Test team. The fact they get 'Test' funding anymore than someone like Scotland is a bit of a joke when you consider that but hey ho. So we can't play them for a start.

We already played Afghanistan in Tests last year and we are playing them again in Tests this year. Any more often and it becomes even less appealing and exciting than it already is for all involved.

It costs well over $1million to host a 5-day Test match according to both cricket ireland and CWI. The only way it is even remotely sustainable is with significant sponsorship and a broadcast deal etc. Zimbabwe offers 0 broadcast market and very very little commercial sponsorship value locally. And for other boards, the value of playing Zimbabwe is much less appealing than playing literally anyone else commercially as well. The only other hope we have is large ticket sales, which would only really be generated at a high price for India or England. Neither are coming any time soon for obvious reasons.

There is ring-fenced funding for FTP matches and that is our only hope. Anything outside of the FTP and you are expecting ZC to stump up (and lose) vast sums of money per match, or for us to suddenly finally find a huge commercial backer (will never happen with this board), or for the world to suddenly care and be really interested in playing us.

Saying it's 'easy' is an absolutely retarded thing to say.

Limited overs internationals are easier and cheaper but still not free. There's fuck all left in the pot after ZC have paid their salaries, their shady 'expenses' for the boys club, and put on a full season of Logan Cup. You still need some buy in from - crucially - a broadcaster and sponsors, and unfortunately we have burnt our bridges with most credible ones, or we offer no value.

The only solution is the FTP mandating better fixtures for us and ring fencing funding for them. The loss of the Super League is absolutely disastrous for us. The next FTP may be grim.

It's all part of the strategy of the top few teams to shrink the game anyway. I don't blame them either -we are shit, have been for twenty years, and have continually pissed their money up the wall. I'm not surprised they aren't being too charitable towards us. Who would be?
So effectively SZ you are saying that fans should give up on Zimbabwe cricket and that it is a lost cause.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I just cant get excited at the thought of test matches against ireland and Afghanistan.
we have a whole 3 decade test history and it makes comparing todays players skewed. I want to see the odd australia test and frequent windies/SL/SA tests. SL and WI because we can compete well and SA because of neighbours.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*