First unofficial Test : ZimbabweA vs South africaA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: First unofficial Test : ZimbabweA vs South africaA

Post by sam_ahm »

Zuby Hamza surely making a case for himself for the test side.

Zimbabwe's bowling leaves a lot to be desired really, flat track I understand but this is still abysmal. Only thing I can say is that they are learning it the hard way, hopefully they will improve after this. It's an A game so it doesn't hurt that much, chance to learn and improve.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Wanted to see myers bowl to be fair.
Muthasamy must be kicking himself after the other batters feasted.
Ngarava nyauchi and blessing not a bad bet then for the Bangladesh tests.
No other bowler has shown anything to depose them from their spots in the test. Chatata hasn't done a great deal

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I guess zimbos was right...Wez is just not ready for red ball cricket. At least there are several fellow young batsman there to give 1 or 2 a chance while the Big 4 are still around.

What you want to avoid is a situation where Wez, Myers, Shumba, et al become the core of the Test or ODI lineup with a combined experience of less than 20 matches when the Big 4 retire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Would be tempted to play a few of the senior guys who have been out for a bit in the next game. Guys like Raza,Ervine and Williams mixed with Myers and Shumba plus Ngarava. They need the match practice

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Maybe even a full strength team

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Has Raza fully recoverd though?

Donald

Post by Donald »

Ervine and Williams can play next match for sure.
Don't want them undercooked going into the Bangladesh matches.
The fast bowling situation is very worrying. Blessing is the only class player we have. Ngarava could Be a good find but needs more time and matches.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Donald wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:25 pm
Ervine and Williams can play next match for sure.
Don't want them undercooked going into the Bangladesh matches.
The fast bowling situation is very worrying. Blessing is the only class player we have. Ngarava could Be a good find but needs more time and matches.
bowling has always looked pretty dreadful in Zim in general for some reason

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 am

The players themselves should absolutely play every game to win whether its an international, A team game, domestic match, or U-19 level. But the fans really should only care about the national team performance, at the end of the day.

Everything else is just a means to that end.
Wrong. As a fan I am 100% watching an A series with intent. I want to see if the young players are up to the task and how they handle certain situtations. What happens when they are under the pump? What happens when they are in a good position? How do they handle a turning a pitch? A slow pitch? a flat pitch? A green one? How do they approach certain aspects of the game?

These are the players on the fringe or considered for national duty, so it is always important to see if they can make the step up. If they don't show the right stuff at the A level then when it comes to the national side, as a fan, I am going to worry because then it just means that the National side will stay poor and continue to just keep up a cycle of defeat.

Take this game for example. Pretty good batting pitch, but we go out in the 2nd innings and the guys end up batting in such a way that their S/R are in the 20's and 30's. They are inviting pressure on themselves and that is why we are 2 down for 22.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:26 pm
Wrong. As a fan I am 100% watching an A series with intent. I want to see if the young players are up to the task and how they handle certain situtations. What happens when they are under the pump? What happens when they are in a good position? How do they handle a turning a pitch? A slow pitch? a flat pitch? A green one? How do they approach certain aspects of the game?

These are the players on the fringe or considered for national duty, so it is always important to see if they can make the step up. If they don't show the right stuff at the A level then when it comes to the national side, as a fan, I am going to worry because then it just means that the National side will stay poor and continue to just keep up a cycle of defeat.
Sub-national teams (A teams) are usually ad hoc. They serve a purely developmental purpose and while selectors will try to create a balanced side, at the end of the day A team cricket exists solely for giving prospective national teamers quality game time. So if that means packing the team with spinners before a tour of the subcontinent, then so be it. Winning and losing are secondary to that aim. An A team coach won't be sacked because the A team keeps losing, if he's doing a good job developing players for the national team.

Winning games also rests on multiple players, when an A team might only contain 3-4 guys in the XI who will go on to be consistent national teamers. For example, look at this XI: how many of these guys have a realistic chance of being a national team stalwart in 2 years time?

Myers, Shumba, Madhevere, and Mumba. Thats it. Just 4 guys. And thats not guaranteed. It might just be Myers and Shumba, or even none of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)