Andy Flower: ICC Hall Of Fame Inductee

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Andy Flower: ICC Hall Of Fame Inductee

Post by sloandog »

What I will say, though, is that those Indian spinners were not international quality, at all. If the likes of Ashwin, Kumble, Axar Patel or Jadeja were playing I reckon he would have found it much tougher. Those blokes who were bowling to him were really average spinners

PieChucker
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by PieChucker »

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:14 am
What I will say, though, is that those Indian spinners were not international quality, at all. If the likes of Ashwin, Kumble, Axar Patel or Jadeja were playing I reckon he would have found it much tougher. Those blokes who were bowling to him were really average spinners
Yeah Sarandeep was nothing special. I think Kumble was injured before the series so did not play. Sunil Joshi was a domestic stalwart and was very good on his day (that 5 for 6 against SA in an ODI comes to mind), but probably wasn't at his best during the match. But hey, there were Javagal Srinath and Zaheer Khan playing too!

PieChucker
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by PieChucker »

Probably his greatest game
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/sou ... -scorecard
SA scored 600 - Andy kept throughout and there were no byes.
Had a 16.5 over break and then scored 142 runs.
Zim followed on and after 12 overs Andy was back at the crease - scored 199 not out.
Skill, fitness, concentration, mental toughness.

tgk

Post by tgk »

PieChucker wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:18 am
Zim followed on and after 12 overs Andy was back at the crease - scored 199 not out.
Insane. I was about minus 3 years old during that game but even the scorecard sends shivers down your spine. I wish I could've seen him play, what a legend.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

PieChucker wrote:
If there wasn't that player exodus I feel Masakadza would have gone on to be a much better player, noticing this was the year he had scored that debut 100 vs WI and in this match got run out in the first innings then scored 85 against a world class attack as a teenager. The system and the politics let him down.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

zimbofan88

Post by zimbofan88 »

tgk wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:33 pm
PieChucker wrote:
Insane. I was about minus 3 years old during that game but even the scorecard sends shivers down your spine. I wish I could've seen him play, what a legend.
You are 16? What made you (current generation) interested in current Zim cricket? I was 12 when I watched Zim in 99. They were fearless and beat India, South Africa etc to go to super 6 then got even better in 2000 until 2002. Most people here are fans from Houghton-Andy-Johnson-Marillier-Blignaut generations. They played against very good teams and had lots of grit. I’m guessing, the younger generation idolize Brendan Taylor.

tgk

Post by tgk »

zimbofan88 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:08 pm
tgk wrote:
PieChucker wrote:
You are 16? What made you (current generation) interested in current Zim cricket? I was 12 when I watched Zim in 99. They were fearless and beat India, South Africa etc to go to super 6 then got even better in 2000 until 2002. Most people here are fans from Houghton-Andy-Johnson-Marillier-Blignaut generations. They played against very good teams and had lots of grit. I’m guessing, the younger generation idolize Brendan Taylor.
I was 11 during 2015 WC, I'm Indian but I saw BT wreck us with a beautiful century and I've tried my best to watch most Zim games ever since haha. I love an underdog story, I remember watching a tri-series with Zim, SA and Aus a while back, I think that was the first taste of Zim cricket I got. BT is one of my favourites yep, but currently I'd say my absolute favourite is Blessing.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

tgk wrote:
PieChucker wrote:
nice to see another teen lol