Dane schadendorf

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Dane schadendorf

Post by secretzimbo »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:13 pm
If they fails to do anytime, some day Zim cricket will struggle for existance. A big example is Kenya cricket.
Whats your solution to save talents running away from Zimbabwe ?
Obviously the solution is trying our best to create a stable environment, consistent fixtures and a good guaranteed income for players. Again my point is that ZC are going quite well at the moment but it's not easy in a country like this. The problem is bigger than cricket. It's not just cricket that forces people to leave. People in all kinds of industries and jobs do. Cricket - because of the wider national situation - is obviously never going to be able to compete with the English counties not just on salaries but on quality of life too.

People have been saying we'll 'struggle for existence' and that 'cricket is dying' since 2004 and it just isn't the case on the ground at all right now. The game here has declined and shrunk over the years since then but I reckon it's reached its low point already. I don't see any decline in the last 5+ years really. Growth if anything. Because our national team has been so shit for so long already, I don't think there's a direct link or correlation anymore between national team success and participation on the ground. They have become independent of each other. There's still a lot of (middle class) kids who really want to play cricket and really enjoy it. They always will - it's part of the national culture and heritage. Cricket is still the most 'prestigious' and desirable sport regardless of national team success.

The vast majority from the last U19 generation didn't leave including arguably the most talented players. The white kids are going to leave but it's becoming less of a problem than it was 5-10 years ago now that we seem to be producing a greater number of talented black kids. It doesn't matter as much as it did before tbh. We've still got a lot of talent that stays. Let's work with that and not stress or worry or cry over a few who leave.

As for your suggestion of a 'legal procedure' - there just isn't one. You can't lock people up. People - not just cricketers - leave Zimbabwe. It's been that way for 40 years to an extent. You can't stop people. Equally you can't punish them when they do leave - because there's always a chance they could return.

That's life here. Half of my school friends and part of my family live overseas and it sucks. It makes me sad. None of them are cricketers either.
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:59 pm
It is my opinion that Nick Welch would definitely play for Zimbabwe if his English contract isn’t renewed and the money playing for Zim is decent.
Whilst I am not ‘in the know’ on that, I have some credible evidence to suggest he’s not a huge fan of the UK.
That's really our best hope if we really want any of them back. Hope they don't settle and get homesick. Of all the dozens of peers I know that have left Zim, a couple do return quite sharpish. I tried to live overseas - Hong Kong for two years and Scotland for six months. Not for me, thanks. Hated it!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

For those who do enjoy fantasising about the slim chance of players returning though; Ben Curran & Eddie Byrom are both out of contract at the end of the season. Maybe they'll get extensions. Maybe they'll get other offers. Maybe they'll come back. Maybe they won't. I won't lose too much sleep over it though :mrgreen:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:32 pm
For those who do enjoy fantasising about the slim chance of players returning though; Ben Curran & Eddie Byrom are both out of contract at the end of the season. Maybe they'll get extensions. Maybe they'll get other offers. Maybe they'll come back. Maybe they won't. I won't lose too much sleep over it though :mrgreen:
You really think that BT or Jarvis money and long term contract wouldn't be enough? Just curious. Whether they are worth that kind of money is a question for another day.

The kids we have right now are going along okay but besides Myers who has somehow gotten a start in every game and format he has played, I am concerned that I dont see that many guys who can regularly score hundreds.

Got a feeling Wes will be a Sean Williams type late bloomer when it comes to the big scores. Shumba also looks like a Ervine type late bloomer. The concern then becomes that after 2023 we will struggle for big scores. Not that we have been doing that regularly anyway but the goal should always be to improve.

We will see but I think Byrom is needed

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:12 am
secretzimbo wrote:
You really think that BT or Jarvis money and long term contract wouldn't be enough? Just curious. Whether they are worth that kind of money is a question for another day.

The kids we have right now are going along okay but besides Myers who has somehow gotten a start in every game and format he has played, I am concerned that I dont see that many guys who can regularly score hundreds.

Got a feeling Wes will be a Sean Williams type late bloomer when it comes to the big scores. Shumba also looks like a Ervine type late bloomer. The concern then becomes that after 2023 we will struggle for big scores. Not that we have been doing that regularly anyway but the goal should always be to improve.

I'd be surprised if Byrom came back. Welch is a possibility. But being out of contract would be a big factor for any of them.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

What about Malcolm Lake & Gary Ballance ? Ballance seems have no chance for England anymore.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Zimco wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 am
TapsC2 wrote:
secretzimbo wrote:

I'd be surprised if Byrom came back. Welch is a possibility. But being out of contract would be a big factor for any of them.
is byrom that good? he averages like 27 in first class

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

TapsC2 wrote:
secretzimbo wrote:

wes already has 2 70+ scores in t20 and he`s not even 21. Dont think there have been many cricketers like that

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Secret zimbo not to cherry-pick, as your point is ultimately right, but worth pointing out that the National salaries for our top players are more than county.
Taylor has been quoted as saying he had to take a paycut to go county. I believe Jarvis may have said the same too.

I also have it on good authority that all starting county contracts are 60 grand AUD a year before tax. Most established name players I think would be around 100-120 AUD. Someone like Sean Ervine would have been around 80-90 I think.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I also have no problem with Logan cup players earning far less
Not as low as they are, because it stops players from taking the journey,
But on skill this is honestly the equivalent of club, and our National players are seemingly equivalent to county in money and I think that’s fair, because if you put Zimbabwe in the county league, let’s just say I don’t think we would be winning the trophy.
Lost of our top talent aren’t leaving for money, but for stability.
Except those who are so skilled that they end up in the national team. That’s where millionaires are made.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*