Savor this new generation

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Savor this new generation

Post by Tinah09 »

While we are still far from world beaters, I think this new crop of cricketers presents a once in a lifetime golden generation with the potential to disrupt the world cricket status quo. On this forum we are either 1. Whining about some undeserving players being handed the caps 2. Yearning for some U19 "stars" who decide to pursue (most unsuccessfully) career playing for England. However, this crop of players we have are something special.

Theres no denying that Muzarabani is a genuine world class talent and hes only getting started. Madhevere is probably one of the most naturally gifted cricketers Ive seen since AB, he too will only get better. Myers is a solid batsman, who with good coaching and tutelage from senior batsmen, can be a thorn in the side of many a team. Burl is the big hitter weve been missing since Chigumbura retired AND he is a formidable leggie. Marumani and Shumba with a few A games and international exposure will develop into tough customers. These remarkable talents under the guidance of Williams, Raza and co, will do great things. This team will be great, this team will be a tough nut to crack. But until then, lets enjoy the journey and savor this rare emergence of world class talent in our midst

Yvmnaidu
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Savor this new generation

Post by Yvmnaidu »

We want another 2 burl type batters..2 good fast bowlers with wickettaking abilities..2 good spinners..raza,Taylor,Williams,ervine playing for 2023 worldcup qualifier with 35+age is not good enough..find some good team

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:41 pm
While we are still far from world beaters, I think this new crop of cricketers presents a once in a lifetime golden generation with the potential to disrupt the world cricket status quo. On this forum we are either 1. Whining about some undeserving players being handed the caps 2. Yearning for some U19 "stars" who decide to pursue (most unsuccessfully) career playing for England. However, this crop of players we have are something special.

Theres no denying that Muzarabani is a genuine world class talent and hes only getting started. Madhevere is probably one of the most naturally gifted cricketers Ive seen since AB, he too will only get better. Myers is a solid batsman, who with good coaching and tutelage from senior batsmen, can be a thorn in the side of many a team. Burl is the big hitter weve been missing since Chigumbura retired AND he is a formidable leggie. Marumani and Shumba with a few A games and international exposure will develop into tough customers. These remarkable talents under the guidance of Williams, Raza and co, will do great things. This team will be great, this team will be a tough nut to crack. But until then, lets enjoy the journey and savor this rare emergence of world class talent in our midst
True. Really hope in Ireland we can blend this team without any major issues.

ODI

Chakabva
Madhevere
Ervine
Taylor
Williams
Raza
Burl
Jongwe
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Chatara

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Yeah absolutely. It will take time though - Marumani & Shumba definite have as much potential as anyone else tbh but I think will take some years to get to the same level. We also can't be a 'formidable' team with 5 decent players. When the big 4 retire (And already they are never all available simultaneously...) we are going to need even more guys pushing for selection and competition for places.

So it's crucial that the next two or three U19 generations produce a few stars too! Some really good batters coming through the junior ages. Not totally sure that the bowling is up to the same standard though. Let's see.

As we've all said 100 times, the coaching is the issue. With good coaches and mentors I agree that these boys can be exceptional. There is some incredible talent. Let's get the most out of it!

saifulsohel05

Post by saifulsohel05 »

Is there any news of Brad Evans? I am disappointed by the loss today as a Bangladeshi. But it’s always fun to see the Chevrons enjoying these rare wins.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

saifulsohel05 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:12 pm
Is there any news of Brad Evans? I am disappointed by the loss today as a Bangladeshi. But it’s always fun to see the Chevrons enjoying these rare wins.
He came back to Zim, put in the hard yards all season and seemed very keen to play for Zim. Frustrating that he went back to the UK after being a reserve for Pak series and in the 'A' squad too. I hope he's still committed, but not sure. Similar player to Jongwe. Let's see if he comes back for the domestic campaign.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Yes there has been an uptick in young batting talent, there isn’t enough to suggest they are been close to the Taylor to Williams gen.

Whilst I do agree they are better than the last few years, what have they done?
Wes should have had at least one century by now as per his hype.
Also,
Remember that the quality of our opponents has been going down steadily further and further.

Twenty years ago we played teams like Oz freqeuntly.
Ten years ago we played the odd game against teams like oz and a lot of Bangladesh and india C.
Now it’s a revolving door between Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Ireland only.

Yes I get that Bdesh are better than they used to be, but for now they are stil Bangladesh.

Put Wes and Blessing in front of Australia then come back to me.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Yes there has been an uptick in young batting talent, there isn’t enough to suggest they are been close to the Taylor to Williams gen.

Also,
Remember that the quality of our opponents has been going down steadily further and further.

Ten years ago we played the odd game against teams like oz and a lot of Bangladesh and india C.

Yes I get that Bdesh are better than they used to be, but for now they are stil Bangladesh.

In theory there are ODIs with Australia, India and SL next year. So we will see soon enough!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think guys like Madhevere and Myers play too much in the air, apart from compulsive sweeping. If they cut those two things out, they can be very solid batsmen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:45 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Also,

In theory there are ODIs with Australia, India and SL next year. So we will see soon enough!
Exactly.
By then they would have had some experience too beforehand and we can truly see where they are at.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*