Africa Cup T20I Concept Among African Nations : Beneficial or Not ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Africa Cup T20I Concept Among African Nations : Beneficial or Not ?

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

ICC in 2019 handed over T20 status to 105 members with Mongolia, Tajikistan and Switzerland as latest addition.

If we look african continent there are total 22 members under African Cricket Association (ACA), total 13 of them has represented in 2021 ICC Men's T20 World Cup Africa Qualifiers, with South Africa & Zimbabwe the full members. Kenya, Namibia who had history in playing cricket world cup with Uganda and Nigeria slowly slowly developing the game. Since ICC has given permanent T20 status to 108 nations. It wont be a bad step neither there will be any bar, if all these board comes into term and launch an international T20 tournament among african nations that could develop cricket in africa, popularize the game, improve finances and bring that fights of the fans of soccer in cricket

Africa Cup T20 launched by CSA as domestic franchise tournament, isnt so much popular neither it attracts any audience turning the game from domestic to internationals among african nation basis might improve the game in Africa

sam_ahm

Re: Africa Cup T20I Concept Among African Nations : Beneficial or Not ?

Post by sam_ahm »

Guys, what's up with Kenya? A once World Cup semi finalist.

Is cricket in Kenya completely done and dusted?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Yeah Kenya cricket is done.

Also they did well in 2003 but it was largely due to walkouts and such IIRC. They only won 2 games against decent opposition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

Also they did well in 2003 but it was largely due to walkouts and such IIRC. They only won 2 games against decent opposition.

Much like us they had 1 w/o in the group stage. They did beat Sri Lanka and Bangladesh which helped them qualify from their group. They beat us in the super six and qualified for the semis because they had a slightly better points ratio to Sri Lanka who also only managed 1 win in the super six.

So wouldn't say they got lucky if you look at the fact they finished 2nd in their group.

As for the topic. I think an Africa T20 comp is a no brainer for me. It can be an emerging sides series or A side tournament, but having an Africa comp should really be a no brainer. If utilised properly, it can help sides to develop a proper T20 structure and also identify T20 players and put them on a path that allows them to make the step up to the national side.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Cricket is still played in Kenya, the Nairobi Cricket Association League has scorecards online and seems to have more organization and teams than anything going on in Zimbabwe in terms of club cricket. But many of the names are the same old players, there doesn't seem to be many young players coming through the system. Kenya experienced a golden-age of cricket in the 90s and 2000s. The 2003 CWC was the end of something, not the beginning like we all thought. They really need to figure out what was happening in the 1990s in Kenya that brought about so many good cricketers and see if they can replicate that.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I remember my old man saying that the Kenyan victory over Zimbabwe in the 2003 CWC would be their last against a test playing nation.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:12 pm
I remember my old man saying that the Kenyan victory over Zimbabwe in the 2003 CWC would be their last against a test playing nation.
why did he say that

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:42 am
sloandog wrote:
why did he say that
Because a lot of the players were peaking at that point and he knew Kenyan Cricket, said there was very little coming through.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:01 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:42 am
sloandog wrote:
why did he say that
Because a lot of the players were peaking at that point and he knew Kenyan Cricket, said there was very little coming through.
thats unfortunate. Looks like the team is a family business. Sad to see

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:38 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

Much like us they had 1 w/o in the group stage. They did beat Sri Lanka and Bangladesh which helped them qualify from their group. They beat us in the super six and qualified for the semis because they had a slightly better points ratio to Sri Lanka who also only managed 1 win in the super six.

So wouldn't say they got lucky if you look at the fact they finished 2nd in their group.

As for the topic. I think an Africa T20 comp is a no brainer for me. It can be an emerging sides series or A side tournament, but having an Africa comp should really be a no brainer. If utilised properly, it can help sides to develop a proper T20 structure and also identify T20 players and put them on a path that allows them to make the step up to the national side.
I agree with you, but if ZC & CSA join hands this Africa Cup T20 Internationals concept can reach heights with just like Asia Cup in Subcontinent. BCCI & PCB played a huge rule in Asia Cup concept when Bangladesh & Sri Lanka were associates, previously it used to be 4 team tournament now its 6/8 team affair, where Hong Kong, UAE, Nepal, Oman are slowly becoming part of this tournament, making it popular. Since ICC has given T20 I status to large number of teams, don't think it will be problem for Kenya, Namibia to join with ZC & CSA to think about Africa Cup along with Nigeria & Uganda who are playing the game regularly at associate level and have T20I status. Africa Cup T20I concept can bring huge development of the game in Africa