ZC chief in support of ICC for inclusion of Cricket in Olympics

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

ZC chief in support of ICC for inclusion of Cricket in Olympics

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

The ICC has confirmed its intention to push for cricket’s inclusion in the Olympic Games going forward, starting preparations for a bid on behalf of the sport with the primary target being its addition to the Los Angeles 2028 itinerary

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2211253
Last edited by Rajkumar Sharma on Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: ZC chief in support of ICC for including Cricket in Olympics

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Mukuhalani among member of ICC for inclusion of cricket in Olympics.
Attachments
IMG_20210810_193351.jpg
IMG_20210810_193351.jpg (537.27 KiB) Viewed 1287 times

zimbos_05

Re: ZC chief in support of ICC for inclusion of Cricket in Olympics

Post by zimbos_05 »

Makes sense why the ICC hold on so much to this guy. He is so entrenched in the system and obviously does their bidding.

I'm not saying I don't want cricket in the Olympics, just digressing on why the ICC do nothing about his ineptitude to run ZC.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Can u imagine zimbabwe going to the Olympics with a local coach

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Mueddie28 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:45 am
Can u imagine zimbabwe going to the Olympics with a local coach
In true Zimbabwe fashion we will get it admitted to the Olympics, but then miss out on going.

I can just imagine some of the ZANU crew excited for a 2 week shopping spree in LA.

On a serious note. Are we ever going back to the Commonwealth? We are going to miss out on 2022 which will have cricket and we can be a part of. Get some good experience too.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If we are going to allow breakdancing into the Olympics, thus giving every failed rapper and tweaker from my old high school a chance at Olympic gold, then I can’t see how cricket can be held back, unless there is some sort of stadium issue.
I know for a fact that in Europe some countries Olympic committee have rallied behind cricket being a part of the Olympics. It’s a good bet I think.

I’m also very curious if the Rugby League nines bid is successful, given the backdrop of Rugby (Union) sevens. Great spectacle but is it considered too close neutrally?
It’s a great chance to see Aus with another gold and NZ, England, Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Lebanon fight out for minor medals. A team like France could also surprise.

If it were me I’d go back to a more pure Olympics. By using the yardstick of an Olympic Gold as the pinnacle of the sport.
Track and field, swimming, cycling, marathons etc. it’s a bit bloated soem of the random sports like 3x3 Bball.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:30 am
If we are going to allow breakdancing into the Olympics, thus giving every failed rapper and tweaker from my old high school a chance at Olympic gold, then I can’t see how cricket can be held back, unless there is some sort of stadium issue.
I know for a fact that in Europe some countries Olympic committee have rallied behind cricket being a part of the Olympics. It’s a good bet I think.

I’m also very curious if the Rugby League nines bid is successful, given the backdrop of Rugby (Union) sevens. Great spectacle but is it considered too close neutrally?
It’s a great chance to see Aus with another gold and NZ, England, Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Lebanon fight out for minor medals. A team like France could also surprise.

If it were me I’d go back to a more pure Olympics. By using the yardstick of an Olympic Gold as the pinnacle of the sport.
Track and field, swimming, cycling, marathons etc. it’s a bit bloated soem of the random sports like 3x3 Bball.
These sports are getting in because it is now up to the Olympic venue to decide which sports they wish to include, but these sports have official status for that Olympics as opposed to just being exhibition sports.

I agree that breakdancing is not a sport and should not be in the olympics. That is rather dumb. Also, the Rugby 9's and 7's are very similar, and personally I don't see how 9's is any different to full on Rugby League.

Sports that really do have merit to be included are Cricket, Baseball, Squash, and Netball.

Cricket would have to be implemented properly though, otherwise it will just be another glorified Champions Trophy.