Ireland Wolves v Zimbabwe XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Ireland Wolves v Zimbabwe XI

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:36 pm
Maybe you are taking a more holistic approach and I am taking a more patriotic Zimbabwean approach here. But idc if theres no 'points' on the line. The entire point of playing sport is to win. So points or no points, it matters to win.

And btw I'm all in favour of the young guys getting some opportunities - they have the talent and I believe in them. But not guaranteed selections for all four of them in all five matches regardless of performance, especially when you have demonstrably better players sitting around doing nothing. It's an important point that Taylor is paid fortunes - one of the highest-earning non-criminals in the entire country btw. Madness to pay him more than we pay the young 4 combined but then not even ask him to play?

Priorities for a professional sports team;
1. Win
2. Everything else, including future development.

In that order.
I agree. But for this particular series I actually agree with ZC's rationale (assuming that is their rationale). ZIM aren't in the World Cup, there are no qualification points at stake, T20 is the least important or prestigious format, lets rest the old guys and play the youngsters.

I will totally agree with you, if they pull the same thing in the ODI series.

Remember whenever India tours ZIM they play a complete A team, and they even lost a couple ODIs in 2010 or 2013, got knocked out of a tri series, and lost a T20 in 2015. Why was India not concerned with winning? Cuz they felt it didnt matter. It was the right call.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:48 am
For me the reasoning is quite simple. You must not loose to a test-playing nation even if it’s a T-20 series. Reserve these silly experiments with Namibia, Nepal or Netherlands. Moreover, it’s all about pride. Prove to the world that Zim deserved to be in the T20 WC rather than they ain’t add anything.
No one thinks ZIM don't deserve to be at the 2016 WC tho. They are definitely in the top 16 teams. They missed out due to governance leading to an ICC suspension (rightly or wrongly).

I get that Ireland are a rival, but ZIM played a half strength side so a 2-3 result away from home probably reflects more poorly on Ireland than it does to Zimbabwe.

I wouldn't experiment against Namibia, Nepal, or Netherlands because those are teams you don't want to lose to. People expect ZIM to beat those sides, and if they don't it would stick out like a sore thumb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I think the real question is did the kids improve or learn valuable lessons in the T20 series? I would say Shumba and Ngarava were the biggest beneficiaries but the other 3 struggled.

Ideally what should have happened was that the Namibia series should have been a couple of weeks earlier then the kids would have come and played the first 3 T20s and the Scotland T20s. BT looked really rusty with the bat. He needed at least another match. Look at how Ervine improved as the T20 series progressed

Yvmnaidu
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Yvmnaidu »

zim should focus in t20 format better than in tests. zim cricket don't chase without burl. they depending on burl. We want hitters. We want some good bowlers. We are lack in all departments

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:51 am
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:48 am
For me the reasoning is quite simple. You must not loose to a test-playing nation even if it’s a T-20 series. Reserve these silly experiments with Namibia, Nepal or Netherlands. Moreover, it’s all about pride. Prove to the world that Zim deserved to be in the T20 WC rather than they ain’t add anything.
No one thinks ZIM don't deserve to be at the 2016 WC tho. They are definitely in the top 16 teams. They missed out due to governance leading to an ICC suspension (rightly or wrongly).

I get that Ireland are a rival, but ZIM played a half strength side so a 2-3 result away from home probably reflects more poorly on Ireland than it does to Zimbabwe.

I wouldn't experiment against Namibia, Nepal, or Netherlands because those are teams you don't want to lose to. People expect ZIM to beat those sides, and if they don't it would stick out like a sore thumb.
yeah i was expected better from ireland. Zimbabwe shuldnt have won 2 matches lol

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Dont think present Irish team is better then Zim to win all T20I or ODI games of the series, infact both Zim & Ireland are of same standard,
can surprise some day with performance and are below Bangladesh & Afghanistan in shorter format, among the lowest out of top 12 teams

But certainly Irish team have better future keeping in mind their latest recruits of some domestic performers and internationals from South Africa, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & UK, once those visa and passport issues are cleared they gets clearance to represent Ireland, this team will certainly be ahead and challenge top teams