1st ODI Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: 1st ODI Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Post by TapsC2 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:14 am
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:46 am

The average score on this pitch is 230+ & the successful chase Ireland ever had is 237 only. So just assumptions that Irish could have chased 266
At the 30 over mark, Ireland needed 132 off 20 overs with 8 wickets in hand and the requred run rate was only 6.60

Ireland collapsed and by doing so, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. As a Bangladesh cricket fan, I'm an expert at identifying when teams manage to fuck up a perfectably chaseable chase.
A top 8 team would have probably won in that position, not Ireland or the rest of the bottom teams in those conditions. A lot of it is in the mind. Had BT clobbered the spin and got us to 300, Ireland would have probably been all out for 270. Chasing is a mental game.

So I do get what you are saying but you have to remember the teams involved here

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

This will be the last time they will have this super league format when they see South Africa having to play the qualifiers because their fixture list much harder than the smaller teams' . It doesn't make sense if everybody isn't playing everybody.

For example it's possible for the Netherlands, Ireland, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan to get 60 or 70 points off each other. Add a couple of 2-1 defeats against medium ranked teams and you could find yourself on 100 points. Sri Lanka for example would have to win 6 of their next 9 games to get past 100 points.

I just have a feeling a big gun will play in the qualifiers

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:00 am

who would you bring instead of myers? Btw I`d give 3 years
So 3 years of uninterrupted selection and play, regardless of what's happening. What happens after the 3 years if he doesn't progress as you expect him to?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:41 am

Thats kind of the point. When the system was devised circa 2014, Bangladesh was the 9th ranked side in Tests and ODIs. The idea was to create a club for the established 8. BD remains at 9th in Tests but by 2015 BD had entered the top 7 in ODIs. If you recall before ZIM was chosen as the WC Qualifer host it was actually BD as the original host. But the BCB forfeited once they felt they didn't need to worry about it anymore.

Now with the WI and SL at risk of relegation, the ICC doesn't really care. The cricketing world doesn't much care for or about any of the teams outside the Big 3 + maybe Pakistan. They probably don't even care about PAK that much. If New Zealand fell out of the top 8 rankings, they still wouldn't care. Only if its the Big 3, will they change the format of WC and WTC. While that isn't merit based, to be honest, you really can't argue against it. Apart from the Big 3, everyone else is expendable. Makes NZ's Test championship all the more special IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Donald

Post by Donald »

I think shumba needs to come in for myers next game. Madhevere can bat at 4 where myers was originally. Shumba has shown some pretty cool innovations in the 20 20 matches so could be good for a lower order cameo

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:14 am
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:46 am

The average score on this pitch is 230+ & the successful chase Ireland ever had is 237 only. So just assumptions that Irish could have chased 266
At the 30 over mark, Ireland needed 132 off 20 overs with 8 wickets in hand and the requred run rate was only 6.60

Ireland collapsed and by doing so, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. As a Bangladesh cricket fan, I'm an expert at identifying when teams manage to fuck up a perfectably chaseable chase.
Honestly doesn’t sound like you watched the game at all. Maybe I’m wrong but you are sounding here like one of those Indian dudes who take a quick glance at the cricinfo scorecard at the end of the match and then make dozens of (incorrect) presumptions based on it.

Hard pitch. 266 a more than fantastic score that literaly every single Zim fan was delighted and impressed with. Well done to the Zimbabwean batsmen for winning the game. Very happy with them.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Donald wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:10 am
I think shumba needs to come in for myers next game. Madhevere can bat at 4 where myers was originally. Shumba has shown some pretty cool innovations in the 20 20 matches so could be good for a lower order cameo
If Shumba comes in, I would have it like

Chakabva
Shumba
Ervine
Taylor
Madhevere
Williams
Raza
Jongwe
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Ngarava

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

80% chance of rain tomorrow, 70% chance on Monday. Just when our team is shaping up rain set to ruin their rhythm.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:53 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:41 am

Thats kind of the point. When the system was devised circa 2014, Bangladesh was the 9th ranked side in Tests and ODIs. The idea was to create a club for the established 8. BD remains at 9th in Tests but by 2015 BD had entered the top 7 in ODIs. If you recall before ZIM was chosen as the WC Qualifer host it was actually BD as the original host. But the BCB forfeited once they felt they didn't need to worry about it anymore.

Now with the WI and SL at risk of relegation, the ICC doesn't really care. The cricketing world doesn't much care for or about any of the teams outside the Big 3 + maybe Pakistan. They probably don't even care about PAK that much. If New Zealand fell out of the top 8 rankings, they still wouldn't care. Only if its the Big 3, will they change the format of WC and WTC. While that isn't merit based, to be honest, you really can't argue against it. Apart from the Big 3, everyone else is expendable. Makes NZ's Test championship all the more special IMO.
That's a good post Kriterion, I agree.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:33 pm
80% chance of rain tomorrow, 70% chance on Monday. Just when our team is shaping up rain set to ruin their rhythm.
I think it's showers in between, so we might still get truncated games. I hope so.