2nd ODI: Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2nd ODI: Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Post by secretzimbo »

Happy to take the 5 points after the poor bowling this morning. We definitely gave them way too many runs on that pitch.

Think our boys will be much happier with the abandonment than the Irish will be. Although I actually think a 160 chase off 20 overs would have been very achievable with our batting lineup tbh.

It's a shame that Monday looks like it will be similar weather-wise. I suppose 20 points from 30 will be a decent result though.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:21 pm
tej_27 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:19 pm
Called off ..pathetic drainage ...40 mins of rain that's it ..
Think the issue was the wicket as well as the outfield. Earlier there were a dozen frantic groundsmen trying to dry the main strip with bath towels, rolls of paper towels, leaf blowers and all sorts. Seems like the main cover leaked!
Embarassing to say the least ..one shower and called off ..i don't remember when was the last time Ireland had 3 or more games in the series and all were completed ..one game per series abdonment is a must there

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:29 pm
Happy to take the 5 points after the poor bowling this morning. We definitely gave them way too many runs on that pitch.

Think our boys will be much happier with the abandonment than the Irish will be. Although I actually think a 160 chase off 20 overs would have been very achievable with our batting lineup tbh.

It's a shame that Monday looks like it will be similar weather-wise. I suppose 20 points from 30 will be a decent result though.
I'm telling you man, these are 275 par pitches. Not 240 par. No one listens to me :? Ireland threw it away in the first game. Even 282 would be chaseable if you bat sensibly.

I thought this was going to be a 2-1 series to either team. Looks like that would have been the case had we had all 300 overs on offer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:13 pm

I'm telling you man, these are 275 par pitches. Not 240 par. No one listens to me :? Ireland threw it away in the first game. Even 282 would be chaseable if you bat sensibly.

I thought this was going to be a 2-1 series to either team. Looks like that would have been the case had we had all 300 overs on offer.
Dude, it's fine. Haha.

If the actual stats say it's a 240 par pitch, and the players say that 250 wins the game, and the result is on par with that, then no need to keep digging holes.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:13 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Again, I actually watched the match. The local Irish commentators were saying from the start today that 220-230 would be an excellent target score. Pitch was even slower and more turgid today, and even Wellington was getting turn! Wes spun a few that turned sideways....

We bowled some absolute rubbish at times though, gave away a lot of free runs and bowled far too many overs of seam. No way we should have conceded anywhere near that much.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:08 pm
The local Irish commentators were saying from the start today that 220-230 would be an excellent target score.
Again, you are confusing routine statements for actual facts. Ervine said "we knew 250 would be tough to get" and Irish comms said "230 is a par score here".

Ervine said that, because thats what all cricketers say in a post-match interview. Everyone says "we were 20-30 runs short" when they lose the game, and "we felt[our total - minus 10-15 runs] was a tough target for them to chase" when they win. When was the last time you heard a player go, "Yeah we scored 300, but we felt anything more than 180 would be tough for them to chase." Answer: never. These are merely copy + paste statements, mate.

Similarly, when a team batting first is going at 4 an over, no commentator is going to say "Looks like 300 is a par score here" or "150 is going to be a competitive total on this track".

I've watched a good bit of the matches too. This pitch had some turn, yes. The previous pitch didn't even have that. The pitches are a little slow...but its mitigated by the small size of the ground/boundaries. 5-6 sixes were hit by the Irish batters and they weren't even trying to hit all that big.

I said earlier they were 300 pitches, perhaps I was wrong. They are 275 ish wickets. Not 300, but not 240 either.

And so far the first innings totals of 266 and 282 indicate that to be closer to the truth.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Zimco wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:12 pm
Yeah harare sports club is world class compatively but two things. Harare is high altitude and Zimbabwe has generally great weather. 2. Zimbabwe gets a lot more funding from icc to put into their grounds than the other nations and mainly uses the one ground (Harare sports club)
Let's hope this is the case in December when Afghanistan come. We are going to be deep into a rainy season around that time according to the agricultural forecasts with a lot of rain expected around December. Hopefully our super-soaker is up to the task

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

HSC needs floodlights and DRS capabilities to become international standard. Even the Irish grounds have DRS and while Stormont didn't seem to have floodlights, I think Malahide does (? not sure though).

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

We have floodlights at HSC....they're just upside down

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:16 pm
HSC needs floodlights and DRS capabilities to become international standard. Even the Irish grounds have DRS and while Stormont didn't seem to have floodlights, I think Malahide does (? not sure though).
None of the Irish grounds have floodlights