Breaking... Taylor retires

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Breaking... Taylor retires

Post by sam_ahm »

ZC haven't released any statement on Brendan's retirement. That's quite strange.

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Nor a tweet. All other Twitter handles (ICC, Ireland) talking about him though
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Xlife wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:46 am
Jayb wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am
Xlife wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:24 am

Proves my point about the the number of cry babies on here... Are there any grown adults? The reality is HE chose to retire yet you're blaming ZC, Rajput, everyone but the man who made the decision himself.

It sounds like he really doesn't want to play anymore, doesn't want to be stick in airports away from family, doesn't want to deal with ZC politics, doesn't want to work on fitness... Thankfully there is a bright future ahead with so many promising batsman under 21, we just need to move on.

Perhaps it's a good thing in the long run that the old guard that has a history with ZC goes sooner rather than later

You're literally the dumbest mother fucker I've ever come across. You're blaming Taylor for not putting wanting to put up with the board bullshit yet at the same time saying he's over it. Why do you think our best players are over it? It's not because of the airports or wanting to go for a run you fucktard. These guys love representing their country more than anything, its because the board at every single turn has made unbelievably dumb and short sighted decisions, if he had a non retarded board he would of gone on for another 2-3 years no doubt and actually helped all these supposed international quality 21 year olds you're so convinced will catapult us into stardom. You know all of this anyway but have continued to defend possibly the world's most incompetent cricket board (the new Taliban Afghan cricket board included).
That is an irrational and emotional take... At the end of the day, he made a decision that's best for him and his family, no one held a gun to his head and told him to quit now.

We are not going to win the world cup (or even qualify) in 2023, whether Taylor is there or not. If anything, people like him are a distraction at this stage and we need to move on with the youngsters
You’ve wrote an insane amount of shite on this thread and I can’t be bothered dealing with most of it.

But.....you say no one held a gun to his head? In addition to everyone else telling you how wrong you are, I’ll also add a further interesting point; that ZC in their wisdom have banned him from T20’s which had resulted in a further reduction in his contract offer, which was also reduced last year. Still massive salary, but going forward was due next year to be only around 50% of what he was initially offered to come back from Notts.

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:55 pm
Xlife wrote:
Jayb wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am

You're literally the dumbest mother fucker I've ever come across. You're blaming Taylor for not putting wanting to put up with the board bullshit yet at the same time saying he's over it. Why do you think our best players are over it? It's not because of the airports or wanting to go for a run you fucktard. These guys love representing their country more than anything, its because the board at every single turn has made unbelievably dumb and short sighted decisions, if he had a non retarded board he would of gone on for another 2-3 years no doubt and actually helped all these supposed international quality 21 year olds you're so convinced will catapult us into stardom. You know all of this anyway but have continued to defend possibly the world's most incompetent cricket board (the new Taliban Afghan cricket board included).
That is an irrational and emotional take... At the end of the day, he made a decision that's best for him and his family, no one held a gun to his head and told him to quit now.

We are not going to win the world cup (or even qualify) in 2023, whether Taylor is there or not. If anything, people like him are a distraction at this stage and we need to move on with the youngsters
You’ve wrote an insane amount of shite on this thread and I can’t be bothered dealing with most of it.

But.....you say no one held a gun to his head? In addition to everyone else telling you how wrong you are, I’ll also add a further interesting point; that ZC in their wisdom have banned him from T20’s which had resulted in a further reduction in his contract offer, which was also reduced last year. Still massive salary, but going forward was due next year to be only around 50% of what he was initially offered to come back from Notts.
Why don't you try using your brain for once and understand my point. He's not motivated to play for Zim anymore and there are younger, better, long term options right now we should be supporting if we want the team to improve. Forget this nostalgia nonsense

Why should he play T20s, when those games are meaningless for Zim and could be used to give youngers players exposure?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Xlife wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:05 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Xlife wrote:

Why don't you try using your brain for once and understand my point. He's not motivated to play for Zim anymore and there are younger, better, long term options right now we should be supporting if we want the team to improve. Forget this nostalgia nonsense

Why should he play T20s, when those games are meaningless for Zim and could be used to give youngers players exposure?
He’s lightyears ahead of all of the young players and if you think any of them will ever be as good as BT in this system then you are deluded.

Why do you think he was demotivated, when he’s has spoken numerous times about wanting to play until 2023?

Crazy that you are blaming him. The issue isn’t Brendan ffs. The system is rotten. The last month or two has destroyed my optimism and confidence in the board, the selectors, the director of cricket and the coaches. Seemingly BT feels the same. And Williams.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

50% of his initial contract is still massive :lol: just saying. I just think mentally he couldn't do it anymore. We have been seeing those signs for the better part of a year now.

The super league has also drastically reduced the number of ODIs played. We hardly play test matches too so without the T20s he was looking at 15 ODIs and maybe 2 test matches at most over the next year. That's like a game every 6 weeks. If you look at it that way you can see why both sides are not agreeing.

Why would you stick around for maybe 25 games in 18 months at most. Also why would you pay a bumper salary to someone playing so little cricket? In the end removing him from T20s has had a huge domino effect.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

What is his initial contract?

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Xlife wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:05 pm
secretzimbo wrote:

He’s lightyears ahead of all of the young players and if you think any of them will ever be as good as BT in this system then you are deluded.

Why do you think he was demotivated, when he’s has spoken numerous times about wanting to play until 2023?

Crazy that you are blaming him. The issue isn’t Brendan ffs. The system is rotten. The last month or two has destroyed my optimism and confidence in the board, the selectors, the director of cricket and the coaches. Seemingly BT feels the same. And Williams.
The vast majority of his 17 years as a pro have been with rotten or controversial administration... In fact, the reason he got his debut so young is because of the issues between the white players and the board!!! So all of a sudden you're acting like issues with the administration are something new?

He's not special and everyone is replaceable so bye to him and we're moving on whether you like it or not

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I'm neutral 50-50 towards the actual decision. Was Taylor right to quit? Sure...ZC are probably the worst employer in the ICC from what it seems. Should he have soldiered on till the end of the 2023 campaign? Also yes. BT's put with a lot, he could have endured, and helped guide the youngsters to ensure ZIM had the best possible future after the Big 4 quit. In the end, he made the right decision for himself, so it should be respected.

I think he ends his career as ZIM's co-greatest ODI batter. Hard to tell if A Flower's achievements in the format were better. They probably were, but only just. If Williams stays on another 2 years, leads ZIM to the 2023 WC, continues to average 40+ in that time, and pushes his career average past 35 I think he has a shot at getting closet to BT. I would say its impossible for Williams to pass BT at this stage, unless Williams does some truly spectacular shit in the next 2 years.

Taylorn was an excellent Test batter as well. He will be missed, and quite possible impossible to replace for a country like ZIM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:02 pm
I'm neutral 50-50 towards the actual decision. Was Taylor right to quit? Sure...ZC are probably the worst employer in the ICC from what it seems. Should he have soldiered on till the end of the 2023 campaign? Also yes. BT's put with a lot, he could have endured, and helped guide the youngsters to ensure ZIM had the best possible future after the Big 4 quit. In the end, he made the right decision for himself, so it should be respected.

I think he ends his career as ZIM's co-greatest ODI batter. Hard to tell if A Flower's achievements in the format were better. They probably were, but only just. If Williams stays on another 2 years, leads ZIM to the 2023 WC, continues to average 40+ in that time, and pushes his career average past 35 I think he has a shot at getting closet to BT. I would say its impossible for Williams to pass BT at this stage, unless Williams does some truly spectacular shit in the next 2 years.

Taylorn was an excellent Test batter as well. He will be missed, and quite possible impossible to replace for a country like ZIM.
I saw somewhere that BT is number 50 for most ODI runs of all time. Grant Flower number 54 and Andy at 48. Hami at 71. Had BT played 2 more years he would have definitely moved into the top 40.

Incredible career considering all that has happened and him leaving Zimbabwe for 3 years.

Sidenote: I didn't realize how good Tamim is. Incredible.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte ... 83548.html