Breaking... Taylor retires

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Breaking... Taylor retires

Post by Xlife »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:02 pm
I'm neutral 50-50 towards the actual decision. Was Taylor right to quit? Sure...ZC are probably the worst employer in the ICC from what it seems. Should he have soldiered on till the end of the 2023 campaign? Also yes. BT's put with a lot, he could have endured, and helped guide the youngsters to ensure ZIM had the best possible future after the Big 4 quit. In the end, he made the right decision for himself, so it should be respected.

I think he ends his career as ZIM's co-greatest ODI batter. Hard to tell if A Flower's achievements in the format were better. They probably were, but only just. If Williams stays on another 2 years, leads ZIM to the 2023 WC, continues to average 40+ in that time, and pushes his career average past 35 I think he has a shot at getting closet to BT. I would say its impossible for Williams to pass BT at this stage, unless Williams does some truly spectacular shit in the next 2 years.

Taylorn was an excellent Test batter as well. He will be missed, and quite possible impossible to replace for a country like ZIM.
There's no debate there.... Flower's ODI record is better as he scored those runs against top 8 sides the vast majority of the time, Taylor played a lot more games against weaker nations

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:21 pm

I saw somewhere that BT is number 50 for most ODI runs of all time. Grant Flower number 54 and Andy at 48. Hami at 71. Had BT played 2 more years he would have definitely moved into the top 40.

Incredible career considering all that has happened and him leaving Zimbabwe for 3 years.

Sidenote: I didn't realize how good Tamim is. Incredible.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte ... 83548.html
Taylor and Williams are a total class apart from the rest. 40+ averages the past few years.

Tamim has been great since the 2015 world cup (50+ average). He averaged 29 before that. You probably didn't notice because he so rarely scores runs vs Zimbabwe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:28 pm
50% of his initial contract is still massive :lol: just saying. I just think mentally he couldn't do it anymore. We have been seeing those signs for the better part of a year now.

The super league has also drastically reduced the number of ODIs played. We hardly play test matches too so without the T20s he was looking at 15 ODIs and maybe 2 test matches at most over the next year. That's like a game every 6 weeks. If you look at it that way you can see why both sides are not agreeing.

Why would you stick around for maybe 25 games in 18 months at most. Also why would you pay a bumper salary to someone playing so little cricket? In the end removing him from T20s has had a huge domino effect.
Sounds like the situation between Messi and Barcelona a few months ago

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Taylor has really gone through many eras of players in his career. To think he played alongside the Matsikenyeris, Sibandas, Price, Utseya, Vittorri, Panyangara, Grant Flower (When he returned) , Keegan Meth, Mpofu, Masakadzas, Coventry, Jarvis, Raza, Taibu, Rainsford, Cremer, down to the Musakandas, PJ Moor, Jarvis, Jongwe, Burl even more recently the Muzarabanis, Madhevere, Myers, Shumba.

There is few bigger loyalty in this world.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Xlife wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:55 pm

The vast majority of his 17 years as a pro have been with rotten or controversial administration... In fact, the reason he got his debut so young is because of the issues between the white players and the board!!! So all of a sudden you're acting like issues with the administration are something new?

He's not special and everyone is replaceable so bye to him and we're moving on whether you like it or not
I'm almost inclined to say that you are someone from ZC or with some connection to people from ZC.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Xlife wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:05 pm
Why don't you try using your brain for once and understand my point. He's not motivated to play for Zim anymore and there are younger, better, long term options right now we should be supporting if we want the team to improve.
Who is better?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Xlife wrote:

The vast majority of his 17 years as a pro have been with rotten or controversial administration... In fact, the reason he got his debut so young is because of the issues between the white players and the board!!! So all of a sudden you're acting like issues with the administration are something new?

He's not special and everyone is replaceable so bye to him and we're moving on whether you like it or not
Imbecile

Jayb

Post by Jayb »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 pm
Xlife wrote:

Imbecile
Last edited by Jayb on Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

If Taylor's contract was way bigger than the other big four and they tried to clip it by chucking him from T20 then that's more dodgy than corrupt.

I think his contract could have been trimmed to make more room for the younger generation without this outcome. But as ever we are unaware of the actual numbers.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:38 am
Brendan just now says he will love to comeback and give something back to ZC in the future. Ofcourse not as a player but in some other capacity.
Don't count out Zimbabwe qualification to the WC and a new coach with a new ZC board...
I hope BT goes back to the County circuit and we can still wish