[Match thread] Only Test - Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

[Match thread] Only Test - Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Only Test - Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh, August 4-8, 2011

It's been six long years, and now for the first time in zimcricketforums.com history Zimbabwe will be playing Test match cricket. :)
It's not long now, just one day to go! Considering this is such a high profile match, which hopefully we will all be able to watch and discuss live, and the first time there's ever been a match thread for a five day game... could ZCF records be broken? We got nearly 20 pages for a game nobody saw a few days ago, could 50 be on the cards this time? :)

Zimbabwe squad

Brendan Taylor (capt), Regis Chakabva, Elton Chigumbura, Craig Ervine, Kyle Jarvis, Hamilton Masakadza, Tinotenda Mawoyo, Keegan Meth, Christopher Mpofu, Raymond Price, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu (wk), Prosper Utseya, Brian Vitori.

Bangladesh squad

Shakib Al Hasan (capt), Tamim Iqbal, (vc) Abdur Razzak, Imrul Kayes, Junaid Siddique, Mahmudullah, Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Nasir Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Robiul Islam, Rubel Hossain, Shafiul Islam, Shahriar Nafees, Shuvagoto Hom

Betting odds

I just happened to see this on Cricinfo:

Bangladesh $1.95
Zimbabwe $3.40
Draw $3.75

Venue

Harare Sports Club, and apparently the floodlights have been installed! Perhaps someone can confirm this? If true, I guess that means the teams are less likely to go off the ground if it gets overcast (Damien Martyn bowling in the rain under lights in the 1st Test, Australia vs Zimbabwe at Perth, 2003 comes to mind!) but probably will play a bigger part in the ODI series.

What sort of pitch are we expecting? I'm guessing we'll see another green wicket, maybe not quite as bad as the warm up game though. Sub 200 scores in the Test match won't look great.

Weather

Forecast says sunny for all five days: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Z ... e=wx-10Day

Broadcaster

Ten Sports and Supersport

Pre-game questions

1) Will Taibu's outburst have any effect on the team? Will he be dropped amid this controversy?
2) What sort of pitch are we expecting at HSC?
3) And following on from that, if Taylor wins the toss do we send Bangladesh in to bat or bowl first?
4) Who should open for Zimbabwe?
5) Anything else that needs mentioning!

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match thread] Only Test - Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Post by zimfan1 »

I cant wait for Thursday at 10.00am. I have been looking forward to this day for six years and now it is so close i cant sleep for the excitement. Unfortunately i will only be able to watch the first day and a half as i stupidly booked a surprise anniversary holiday for my bride to be in Nambia but will be checking ZCF as often as i can for updates.

Please BRMT can you make highlights for all five days as this is a special moment and we need to remember it.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I honestly can't WAIT for this match :D
I'm having a party for my birthday on Saturday, everyone's coming round....I don't think I'll be doing much partying, My heart will be warmly around the test match :lol:
zimfan1 wrote:Please BRMT can you make highlights for all five days as this is a special moment and we need to remember it.
Crackin shout right there 8-)

tailender

Post by tailender »

I can confirm there are no floodlights yet at HSC. Masts were erected months ago but the lights are not there.
Success is a journey, not a destination

TheBradDevil

Post by TheBradDevil »

Awsome thread mate cant w8 for thurs. With all the Taibu drama going on today a press conference went unnoticed. Check it out below, 2 heavyweights taking tentative jabs at each other! All i can say is good luck Zimz and may you bring it home ! For the record i hope they prepare a spicy wicket as both teams will struggle but Zim will be better of. Even if it ends in 3 days i wouldnt mind if the win is ours il take it

Press Conference
"We'll win it," a cheeky Tamim Iqbal said, dismissing all thoughts the Bangladesh may need some time to get back into the groove of playing Test cricket. "If you're eating with the left hand, you won't forget to eat with the right hand. It's exactly the same - you need to prepare well, set your mindset and just play." Zimbabwe's Hamilton Masakadza, who was sitting next to Tamim during their media session had a ready response. "We'll come out guns firing too and look for the win," he said. Zimbabwe are hoping to capitalise on home advantage. They are reportedly preparing a pitch that will have some life for the quicker bowlers, sothat they terrorise the Bangladesh batsmen with short balls and counteract the threat of left-arm spin. Tamim doesn't care about any of that. "We've toured South Africa, with one of the quickest wickets in the world. We faced Dale Steyn who is one the quickest bowlers in the world," he said. "I don't think there is any Dale Steyn in this team and I don't think there is any Cape Town wicket so I don't think we will have a problem." A teasing response from Masakazda this time. "You speak so well now," he said to Tamim, who only laughed, letting the Zimbabwean continue. "Anyway, Tamim is one of the Bangladesh players who does play the short ball well. Cricket is evolving and it's a thing of the past to say one team doesn't do this, or does do this so I don't think that will play too much of a role," Masakadza said.
Read the rest there http://www.espncricinfo.com/
zimbabwe...ry/525730.html

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:could ZCF records be broken? We got nearly 20 pages for a game nobody saw a few days ago, could 50 be on the cards this time? :)
In terms of number of visits to the forums per day, we're already running at 250% of normal, so yes, records will go. Especially if some of those people who are currently just reading would like to register and join the fun. We know you're out there. :)

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Vitory hurt, Riyad on the mend

Rookie Zimbabwe fast bowler Brian Vitory suffered a painful blow while batting in the nets yesterday evening.

The left-arm paceman took a hard knock to his right ribcage while batting at the Harare Sports Club nets, and the blow rendered him unable to continue practice. It is yet unconfirmed whether the injury will keep the young Vitory out of the only Test between Zimbabwe and Bangladesh beginning on August 4.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh allrounder Mahmudullah Riyad bowled in the nets at the Harare Sports Club yesterday, but didn't bat as a final preventive measure against further damaging his injured little finger, an injury he picked up during war-up on Monday.

According to team sources, the Tigers all-rounder will bat in the nets today so that a call can be made on him for Test selection.

It is likely that Riyad will be fit for the game on August 4.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/n ... nid=196949

takleg

Post by takleg »

I really hope Taibu plays. I'd really hate to see Chakabva coming in at 6 because Taibu was scratched. He's arguably our best player and scratching him because of this incident will definitely weaken the team.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Would LOVE to see Kyle Jarvis and Christopher Mpofu rip and destroy the Bangladeshi top order, I really really would. These Bangladeshi's are a very very very talented bunch of cricketers, and one day, if they continue to produce players like Tamim and Al-Hasan, they'll be a real force to be reckoned with...

But...and there is a BIG but. They aren't at the level to say things like 'we will win'. No sir!
They have a fresh, hungry Zimbabwean pace attack that hasn't played with a red ball in a test match for 6 looooong years, and I fancy that Vitori and Jarvis will give them a bit of chin music I'm sure (if they're both selected of course). Role on Thursday, crank it up lads! xD

tinashe

Post by tinashe »

Can someone confirm about what Taibu said , i mean there have not been payed since last august is it true?