Yours Brendan Taylor moment across any format

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Yours Brendan Taylor moment across any format

Post by sam_ahm »

I loved BTs upper cut, there is no shot in cricket I loved watching than BTs upper cut over the keepers head. I don't know why but i always found it super cool!!!

As for his knocks, well generally test cricket is where you knocks are mostly remembered and recognized but in BTs case I thought his 100 against India in 2015 WC was seriously high quality. His innings in a home test against NZL where he nearly won the test for Zimbabwe in a massive chase was high quality too.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:01 am
I loved BTs upper cut, there is no shot in cricket I loved watching than BTs upper cut over the keepers head. I don't know why but i always found it super cool!!!
Yeah, he was probably the best when it came to perfecting the execution of that shot and the acute angles at which he could place them. Typical upper cuts of Sehwag or Tendulkar were slices and mostly went over the head of the third man, but BT could play the "ramp" shot ranging from third man to fine leg, typically straight over the keeper's head. Also convincing was his choice of deliveries to play that shot and the stillness in his stance to execute that as the last split-second decision. He was very much in control on most occasions he played that shot, which made it look special and comfortable. The same cannot be said of his reverse sweep excursions though :) (a common problem across most Zimbabwean batsmen anyway, barring Andy Flower and David Houghton).

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

One goes on holidays for a week and the next thing I hear is BT has retired. Not a big surprise but still the end of an era.

My (repeated) BT moment is not an individual innings but his lofted drives when he was in nick. Effortless.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:25 am
One goes on holidays for a week and the next thing I hear is BT has retired.
:)

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Does anyone have any oil on whether this is a genuine retirement or a sean williams retirement?
I see there has still been no mention by ZC about Brendan. This fits if he is potentially coming back but the silence is crazy otherwise.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

It's the real deal according to a fairly reliable source.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

As I understand it, Brendan’s contract runs until some point in the next month or two. Obviously there’s no fixtures in this period so he announced his retirement ahead of his final game Vs Ireland so he could enjoy his final game with a send off from the boys.

However he remains contracted and salaried for the next short period and therefore ZC only intend to honour his retirement when he ceases to be a ZC employee. I think the contracts usually run until some time in October.

We’ve definitely seen the last of him though :(

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pm
As I understand it, Brendan’s contract runs until some point in the next month or two. Obviously there’s no fixtures in this period so he announced his retirement ahead of his final game Vs Ireland so he could enjoy his final game with a send off from the boys.

However he remains contracted and salaried for the next short period and therefore ZC only intend to honour his retirement when he ceases to be a ZC employee. I think the contracts usually run until some time in October.

We’ve definitely seen the last of him though :(
its logical but illogical.

He defibitrely should have hung till the november series at least.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

As I've said, he's done. He doesn't need Zimbabwean Cricket and he certainly doesn't deserve to be treated with such disrespect

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

BT is done. To be honest he was done about 2 years ago.