Yours Brendan Taylor moment across any format

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Yours Brendan Taylor moment across any format

Post by zimbos_05 »

I can't believe there are people questioning BT. After all he has done for this country. It's shocking.

Whether his contract expires in November or not, he should have been given a proper send off on the field by ZC. They didn't. They engaged in racial bias again. No players contract runs until a final game of the series.

So this idea that ZC are waiting till he officially retires is nonsense. Especially because they have been vocal that they are unhappy with him for announcing on social media that he will retire.

ZC are a tyrannical beast and I don't care who it is, but BT deserves much better than this.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Yet a week ago ZC put out a nice little graphic to celebrate Regis’ birthday.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm
I can't believe there are people questioning BT. After all he has done for this country. It's shocking.

Whether his contract expires in November or not, he should have been given a proper send off on the field by ZC. They didn't. They engaged in racial bias again. No players contract runs until a final game of the series.

So this idea that ZC are waiting till he officially retires is nonsense. Especially because they have been vocal that they are unhappy with him for announcing on social media that he will retire.

ZC are a tyrannical beast and I don't care who it is, but BT deserves much better than this.
Not sure who this is aimed at but I wasn’t questioning BT btw. Just pointing out what I’ve heard ZC’s stance is and the ‘logic’ behind it. Not saying it’s good or bad or right or wrong 👍🏼

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm

How is it racial bias if Jarvis wasn't treated the same? Just curious to know.

To be honest I'm not surprised at all by what happened and I'm sure BT himself isn't. Expecting people who have screwed you over multiple times to suddenly do the "right thing" after you gave them the middle finger is crazy to me. That simply doesn't happen. It's disappointing but expected.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's about 4 senior whites playing semi-pro cricket country-wide, there might be an additional 4 or 5 that will play club this year, if that's not the very definition of racial bias then what is? You can't have policies that make it untenable or unacceptable for a group, have those people all but throw in the towel and then claim everyone is treated the same after the fact. They're absolutely not, there's only a set number of whites you'll ever see in any one one team, that's a fact. Assume for a second that everyone was treated the same and yet an entire racial group has voted with their feet, then surely the black players should then stop and think for a second and decide whether they're accepting treatment and standards that they shouldn't be? There's the problem right there!
I'm not suggesting it's easy, if you're not spoilt for choice you're not sticking your head above the parapet unless you're part of a cohesive group, and that doesn't exist and has proven to be impossible to organise.
Jarvis mostly kept his mouth shut and they feel they'd like some window dressing which is odd because they no longer need it, that horse has long bolted.
It remains to be seen if he brings more to the table than that. I can tell you with certainty that talent scouts are an absolute waste of time. The talented kids are known, there's only a handful. All you need is a school coach to send them for assessment- then does Jarvis become a scout, an assessor or a coach? I don't see either of those guys spending hours in the sun lobbing cricket balls.
What you need is a dedicated coach to spend years bringing on a talented kid- its hard to see any talented player/coach relationships these days. Then of course he needs to play a decent standard of school cricket :lol:, then needs to be part of bi-annual national age group squad cricket, again a big :lol:, then needs to be integrated into decent club cricket :lol:, then if he's successful he needs to play a decent standard of franchise :lol:. We're in lotto territory.

Then of course despite the lack of opportunity the odd anomaly crops up and everyone thinks they're the next Tendulkar, which is just weird because if you go to a big nation you will find a hundred or more young players of the same, if not better caliber.
With our young guns I'd suggest that what you see now is almost where they will be in a few years time. Sure there will be incremental improvements, but we're up mostly against Associates and not that often, there's no quality domestic cricket in the interim. . How will they fare when they're now suddenly up against a big team? No disrespect to those lads, they're good players, but they're probably going to struggle.
I'm the merchant of doom to be sure, but its the reality.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 am

Not sure who this is aimed at but I wasn’t questioning BT btw. Just pointing out what I’ve heard ZC’s stance is and the ‘logic’ behind it. Not saying it’s good or bad or right or wrong 👍🏼
If it was aimed at someone, I would address them. It was a general response.
TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:56 am

How is it racial bias if Jarvis wasn't treated the same? Just curious to know.

To be honest I'm not surprised at all by what happened and I'm sure BT himself isn't. Expecting people who have screwed you over multiple times to suddenly do the "right thing" after you gave them the middle finger is crazy to me. That simply doesn't happen. It's disappointing but expected.
Believe it or not, the two incidents can be separate events. Just because they did something different for Jarvis, does not mean they didn't do it with BT.

You know as well as everyone else how ZC does things when the shoe fits. It is all over social media that they have played the racism card with this BT situation. I've been called a 'White Rhodie', 'white loving sympathiser', 'rhodesian heritage', more than enough times when I respond.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

I think his century vs India at the ODI world cup in 2015 takes the cake. He used his trademark shot to full effect smacking then-world champions all over the park. then hos match winning performance vs Australia at T20 WC. Damn, Brendan was a legend, rose to the occasion at the biggest stage.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:01 am
I loved BTs upper cut, there is no shot in cricket I loved watching than BTs upper cut over the keepers head. I don't know why but i always found it super cool!!!

As for his knocks, well generally test cricket is where you knocks are mostly remembered and recognized but in BTs case I thought his 100 against India in 2015 WC was seriously high quality. His innings in a home test against NZL where he nearly won the test for Zimbabwe in a massive chase was high quality too.
Yep, that effort in the run chase vs NZ is also up there for me! Hopefully someone compiles a video with highlights from some of his best knocks.

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

I'm currently putting together an article regarding BT and the promise that he wanted to leave the dressing room in a better state to the one he found it in and honestly digging back through all the old stuff again its frankly incredible that BT played as long as he did, I think he should be remembered as the great hope who delivered post 04

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Two of the best Brendan Taylor innings was 81 and 74 when Zimbabwe were chasing targets of 285 and 194 in 2010 Tri nations, against quality Indian attack comprising of Umesh Yadav and spinners like Jadeja & Amit Mishra the innings helped Zimbabwe to reach final against Sri Lanka
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct