Zim v Sco 1st T20I

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
BugsBunny

Re: Zim v Sco 1st T20I

Post by BugsBunny »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:31 pm
Who could be that ideal n.o 8/9 having talent both with bat and bowl.?

Brad Evans
Brandon Diplock
William Mashinge
James Bruce
Malcolm Lake
Andre Odendaal
Keith Jaure
Neville Madziva
Faraz Akram

How many of them are available. ?

Why should we even go till 8/9 player to get the job done in T20? Why not let Burl open the innings ? In T20 you would need the best player to face max no of balls. Burl has been 'not out' thrice in the last 7 matches which showcases that he could have score more had he faced more deliveries.
Atleast its worth a try as Marumani has been consistently failing and also his strike rate is even more bad in terms of an opening batsman.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

It was very dissappointing to see Williams get out the way he did. It reminded me of that UAE game when Zimbabwe needed 24 off 18 for a place in the World Cup and Williams played a cheeky sweep shot kind of against a fast bowler and got out. Ervine was there till the end but couldn't finish it.

Players like Stirling, Porterfield and today Berrington showed once they got in, they ensure their team gets into a commanding position, they don't throw it away. Zimbabwe lacks that skill.

Losing to Scotland, Ireland, Afghans, even the A team getting thrashed by Namibia. This is just plain disgusting.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Milton Shumba is the only one I have seen who is capable of constructing an innings. A mix of shots that are placed to get him 1s and 2s and he has the ability to hit boundaries of the bad balls.

I really am not sure what Wes and Marumani are trying to do. Everytime they want to hit a boundary. Wes hits 3 or 4 boundaries then gets carried away and usually gets caught by the in fielders. Marumani from the moment he walks never even pretends to play a defensive shot. Swinging from the 1st ball 1. For him to repeat this for almost all his international games so far shows serious foolishness.

Chasing 140, the instruction for the openers should be simple, wait for the bad deliveries and try to score of the good ones. See off their best bowlers who will normally bowl the first 6 overs (of 36 deliveries, you get at least 10 that can be hit), meaning try to get to 40/0. The powerplay is done, work out the singles and the bad ones hit out. Then your number 3 comes in at a time when pressure is on the bowlers, and your experienced middle order comes in to accelerate with wickets in hand and the momentum, then if needed, the finishers see out the game.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

It's a tough one but even Houghton was saying our domestic system has never been strong enough, even in his days. This leads to people learning on the job.

Last season we only played half the domestic games because of Covid. Imagine playing half a season then next thing you are playing international cricket. Shumba and Wes played a lot of youth ODIs this is why they look slightly more settled. They are also slightly older at 21. Myers and Marumani are literally coming from high school cricket. Marumani especially was nowhere near the domestic scene until after the world cup. They are 19

Wes is a good example. Out of the 24 T20s he has played, 19 were international matches. Out of the 16 1 day games he has played, 12 were ODIs. His highest senior score ever was 73 in an international game.

They are definitely getting a lot of experience and playing many games. This is a good learning curve and for example had BT and Raza been there, Shumba would have never gotten the opportunity to show his ability. The only thing we need to be is patient for 2 years whilst they build. It's a painful process but it's necessary

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 pm
It's a tough one but even Houghton was saying our domestic system has never been strong enough, even in his days. This leads to people learning on the job.

Last season we only played half the domestic games because of Covid. Imagine playing half a season then next thing you are playing international cricket. Shumba and Wes played a lot of youth ODIs this is why they look slightly more settled. They are also slightly older at 21. Myers and Marumani are literally coming from high school cricket. Marumani especially was nowhere near the domestic scene until after the world cup. They are 19

Wes is a good example. Out of the 24 T20s he has played, 19 were international matches. Out of the 16 1 day games he has played, 12 were ODIs. His highest senior score ever was 73 in an international game.

They are definitely getting a lot of experience and playing many games. This is a good learning curve and for example had BT and Raza been there, Shumba would have never gotten the opportunity to show his ability. The only thing we need to be is patient for 2 years whilst they build. It's a painful process but it's necessary
fully agree. THe unfortunate truth with many of these smaller cricket nations. Hopefully though, we cop a good coach in the next few months.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

With one or two good or bad innings not a single new commer can be rated, they should be given handfull of chances to prove their worth. Sri Lanka cricket are struggling for making so many changes in each series, not giving proper go to the new talents as a result they are struggling to build a settled unit

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 am
With one or two good or bad innings not a single new commer can be rated, they should be given handfull of chances to prove their worth. Sri Lanka cricket are struggling for making so many changes in each series, not giving proper go to the new talents as a result they are struggling to build a settled unit
sri lanka suffer from the same problems as zim. Many of the guys dont know how to construct an innings

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Marumani is playing every game, like a free ride, can't give such a long rope. Openers are such a vital part of any format. If you are 10/2 every other game it doesn't help. Madhevere is not an opener.

Sadly Zimbabwe do not have a big pool to choose from, they just have to recycle the same players. This also shows a pretty weak domestic circuit. Very little competition for places.

Zimbabwe have been in cricket for 40 years, losing to Scotland, Afghanistan and Ireland, come on, there is limit to this embarrassment. Wake up up ZC.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:37 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Marumani is playing every game, like a free ride, can't give such a long rope. Openers are such a vital part of any format. If you are 10/2 every other game it doesn't help. Madhevere is not an opener.

Sadly Zimbabwe do not have a big pool to choose from, they just have to recycle the same players. This also shows a pretty weak domestic circuit. Very little competition for places.

Zimbabwe have been in cricket for 40 years, losing to Scotland, Afghanistan and Ireland, come on, there is limit to this embarrassment. Wake up up ZC.
Problem is not with Marumani, problem is with that guy who is sitting in the dressing room as batting coach unable to work in his mental set up and make him learn how to deal with each balls according to its merit.Now if they drop Marumani or Madhevere they will break their confidence, which will be harsh to a young talent, they already done the thing with Musakanda who looked so much classy and aggressive middle order batsman on his early games but now he is no where.

Players like Risabh Pant had similar type of issue but work has been done with him, star Bangladesh opener Tamim also tried to hit all out of the stadium but working with proper coach guided him to learn the game.

Marumani, Madhevere, Myers needs to work with someone who has got Level 4 coaching certificate, works in mental aspect of the game.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:53 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:37 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:

Problem is not with Marumani, problem is with that guy who is sitting in the dressing room as batting coach unable to work in his mental set up and make him learn how to deal with each balls according to its merit.Now if they drop Marumani or Madhevere they will break their confidence, which will be harsh to a young talent, they already done the thing with Musakanda who looked so much classy and aggressive middle order batsman on his early games but now he is no where.

Players like Risabh Pant had similar type of issue but work has been done with him, star Bangladesh opener Tamim also tried to hit all out of the stadium but working with proper coach guided him to learn the game.

Marumani, Madhevere, Myers needs to work with someone who has got Level 4 coaching certificate, works in mental aspect of the game.
Yeah that's a fair point. They don't invest in good coaches, don't invest in retaining talent, yet they expect to do well which is absurd.

I don't know how much they pay the domestic cricketers but that is a very Important aspect of retaining talent, encouraging competition and grooming players by having some good coaches at domestic level as well.

If domestic cricketers are not paid well then obviously the mentality is that it's either national contract and international games or nothing, so anyone who is not sure of his place in the national team will not stick around in Zimbabwe.

There are selection issues in every country, but only in Zimbabwe I've seen players dropped for one series they start threatening to retire. That's just sad, and it happens because other than internationals there is nothing else there.

Every other series you have a feeling that someone is going to announce retirement or walk away from ZC. How can any young player thrive in such environment?