Nick welch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
lobsang

Re: Nick welch

Post by lobsang »

Shumba, Madhevere, Myers and even Marumani all have huge potential to achieve big things at the highest level. Tell me when was the last time, before these kids burst onto the scene, we are like " wow these kids have the potential and goods to become great at what they do"

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

We all agree all four they’ve got huge amounts of talent.

But will they really fulfill it if the system continues to be populated by poor coaches - including batting coaches that never scored a century in their lives? Under par administrators and a corrupt board? A weak domestic system and a continued loss of other players, lack of competition for places etc, the general toxic environment or ZC and the general economic environment of zimbabwe?

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Not only them, Zim needs Jonathan Colony, Kevin Dollar, Liam Roche, Michael Lake, Kevin Bowie, James Ives, Walter Matigamu, Wesley Snyder, Luke Oldknow....these are all future stars of Zim, who can lift ranking from 11 to top 5 in all formats of the game
Robo to rule :oops:

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

The Robot wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:48 am
Not only them, Zim needs Jonathan Colony, Kevin Dollar, Liam Roche, Michael Lake, Kevin Bowie, James Ives, Walter Matigamu, Wesley Snyder, Luke Oldknow....these are all future stars of Zim, who can lift ranking from 11 to top 5 in all formats of the game
What a complete and utter load of shite you come up with, why don't you copy their records over from cricinfo and everyone can see how much experience they have and when they last played, you could also tell us who KEVIN Dollar is, who MICHAEL Lake is, who KEVIN Bowie is, who JAMES Ives is, who WESLEY Snyder is, let's just bring back Percy Utseya, Bert Mahwire and Toby Duffin :roll:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Train Driver wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 am
The Robot wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:48 am
What a complete and utter load of shite you come up with, why don't you copy their records over from cricinfo and everyone can see how much experience they have and when they last played, you could also tell us who KEVIN Dollar is, who MICHAEL Lake is, who KEVIN Bowie is, who JAMES Ives is, who WESLEY Snyder is, let's just bring back Percy Utseya, Bert Mahwire and Toby Duffin :roll:
stop biting into this guys recurring joke. Youre giving him attention (as now I am, but this is the last time).
This isnt aimed at you but the forum at large.

Hit the report button on this idiot everyone.
yes robot will make a useless reply every few days purposely getting players names wrong. Yes someone will always not notice and take the bait.

members, please stop addressing him and report him instead.
and brmt/maherea do your f*cking admin job you closely guard or anoint someone that will before we all go.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:43 am

But will they really fulfill it if the system continues to be populated by poor coaches - including batting coaches that never scored a century in their lives? Under par administrators and a corrupt board? A weak domestic system and a continued loss of other players, lack of competition for places etc, the general toxic environment or ZC and the general economic environment of zimbabwe?
Well I agree with you on all those things that is related to ZC and the coaches. In spite of the incompetent board and clueless coaches, I do really believe that a player with natural or exceptional potential can achieve big things without having a so-called "good coach". They already have the understanding of the basics or the fundamentals of the game and all they have to do now is to work real hard on their game with or without proper coaches. Rashid Khan, Eoin Morgan, Nabi, Lamichane and Mujeeb are few examples of players achieving big at the highest level without any proper coaches in their formative years.

I do really believe that Zimbabwe, being a long time test playing nation without any of its players getting opportunities in lucrative T20 leagues like IPL and BBL tells me that there is something seriously wrong with the players themselves, be it their will or passion to strive to better their games. We can not always put the blame on the coaches or the board.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

lobsang wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am
secretzimbo wrote:

Well I agree with you on all those things that is related to ZC and the coaches. In spite of the incompetent board and clueless coaches, I do really believe that a player with natural or exceptional potential can achieve big things without having a so-called "good coach". They already have the understanding of the basics or the fundamentals of the game and all they have to do now is to work real hard on their game with or without proper coaches. Rashid Khan, Eoin Morgan, Nabi, Lamichane and Mujeeb are few examples of players achieving big at the highest level without any proper coaches in their formative years.

I do really believe that Zimbabwe, being a long time test playing nation without any of its players getting opportunities in lucrative T20 leagues like IPL and BBL tells me that there is something seriously wrong with the players themselves, be it their will or passion to strive to better their games. We can not always put the blame on the coaches or the board.
On that last paragraph, I think one of the reasons not too many Zimbos get as many opportunities overseas is that Zim are always the whipping boys. Zim players are used to defeat and they play in a losing culture. A T20 franchise needs winners. As good as 1 players individual performance may be for Zimbabwe, people overseas look at the rankings and look at us losing tests in 2/3 days consistently and therefore instantly label all Zimbos as being not good enough and as being losers.

And the point you make about players not wanting to improve or further themselves....you are right, but I’d say that is mainly because of the board and the system and the country etc. We lack strength in depth so someone can come along and average 20-25 and be guaranteed a place in the team for years. We play little cricket and few domestic matches so the chance to further themselves and improve isn’t always available anyway. The senior players - even someone like Chakabva and probably Wes already - are on extremely good salaries (by Zimbabwe’s economic standards) and guaranteed to get their contracts renewed no matter what they do. It’s comfortable. The system is too comfortable for established players because the depth domestically is so low. Also because we accept low standards and low averages and are constantly apparently ‘rebuilding’ which gives players endless amount of time to keep plodding along without really feeling under pressure to improve. ZC seems to value mediocrity.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:22 pm
lobsang wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am
secretzimbo wrote:

On that last paragraph, I think one of the reasons not too many Zimbos get as many opportunities overseas is that Zim are always the whipping boys. Zim players are used to defeat and they play in a losing culture. A T20 franchise needs winners. As good as 1 players individual performance may be for Zimbabwe, people overseas look at the rankings and look at us losing tests in 2/3 days consistently and therefore instantly label all Zimbos as being not good enough and as being losers.

And the point you make about players not wanting to improve or further themselves....you are right, but I’d say that is mainly because of the board and the system and the country etc. We lack strength in depth so someone can come along and average 20-25 and be guaranteed a place in the team for years. We play little cricket and few domestic matches so the chance to further themselves and improve isn’t always available anyway. The senior players - even someone like Chakabva and probably Wes already - are on extremely good salaries (by Zimbabwe’s economic standards) and guaranteed to get their contracts renewed no matter what they do. It’s comfortable. The system is too comfortable for established players because the depth domestically is so low. Also because we accept low standards and low averages and are constantly apparently ‘rebuilding’ which gives players endless amount of time to keep plodding along without really feeling under pressure to improve. ZC seems to value mediocrity.
yeah t20 leagues such as IPL are pretty stupid with their selections. Australians always get picked for some reason regardless of the national teams` performance. Still cant believe guys like Ben Dwarshius and Billy Stanlake have gotten gos when they dont even do that well in BBl

Googly

Post by Googly »

Stanlake is 6ft 8 and bowls 150 kph accurately, he's amongst the top fast and nasties on the planet.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:12 am
Stanlake is 6ft 8 and bowls 150 kph accurately, he's amongst the top fast and nasties on the planet.
He isnt that accurate. His height and pace is ideal but he gets knocked around all the time in bbl and doesnt take as many wickets as he should. Theres a reason he doesnt play for Australia