Zim v Sco 2nd T20I

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zim v Sco 2nd T20I

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

CalZim wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:57 am
Nobody wanted to open
Well, if that is indeed the case, then there is not much hope of progress from anyone. Somebody like Burl should have latched on to this as an opportunity. Ervine could have opened given his own approach of building an innings. Was Myers unavailable too?

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:45 pm
CalZim wrote:
Nobody wanted to open
Well, if that is indeed the case, then there is not much hope of progress from anyone. Somebody like Burl should have latched on to this as an opportunity. Ervine could have opened given his own approach of building an innings. Was Myers unavailable too?
It is a difficult position to bat so I don’t blame anyone. None of the experienced players are openers. Burl plays as a finisher which he has done to some success recently.

Shumba surprised me as he could be an opener, I think he wants to be a finisher though.

Madhevere has said he doesn’t want to open. Chakabva is not an opener but has gone up there so it’s not just a young pairing at the top which hasn’t worked.

It’s a real concern to be honest because if we can’t find an opener the selectors will turn to chamu :(

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Is Myers still injured with his shoulder? Or has he left the squad?

I mean up until about six months ago his plan was to start Uni around now. Hopefully he hasn’t....

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

CalZim wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:19 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:45 pm
CalZim wrote:
Nobody wanted to open
It is a difficult position to bat so I don’t blame anyone. None of the experienced players are openers. Burl plays as a finisher which he has done to some success recently.

Shumba surprised me as he could be an opener, I think he wants to be a finisher though.

Madhevere has said he doesn’t want to open. Chakabva is not an opener but has gone up there so it’s not just a young pairing at the top which hasn’t worked.

It’s a real concern to be honest because if we can’t find an opener the selectors will turn to chamu :(
I understand that mindset for tests, and probably for ODIs too. But I guess one should jump at the opportunity of opening the batting in T20Is because that gives you time to set yourself up and bat through and register solid scores! Then there is also the field restrictions of the first 6 overs that gives you more scoring opportunities. Hamiton's T20I record is actually quite good (not just by Zim standards) most likely because he had that privilege of opening for most of his T20I career. What exactly is someone like Ervine thinking if he doesn't want to open and is coming in at 3? He is effectively opening anyway. Does he genuinely believe the openers are going to give him a decent platform to launch from? If I was Ervine, I would have just walked out first up and made a statement.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

The way people are tearing apart Innocent Kaia is not good. Not just here but i see it on twitter as well. I agree he should not have played, but what is his fault if he has played? At least he took the opportunity and tried.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:08 am
The way people are tearing apart Innocent Kaia is not good. Not just here but i see it on twitter as well. I agree he should not have played, but what is his fault if he has played? At least he took the opportunity and tried.
Yeah not his fault. But people have a right to be pissed off. He doesn't even play T20 cricket domestically anymore lol. As Zimbos we are used to bizarre selections but this is surely one of the worst ever. Not his fault - he's actually a decent player domestically. But for him to suddenly be selected, in his worst format, from nowhere? No surprise he's another Takashinga boy and a distantly related cousin of the Masakadza's.

Also the thing I'm most annoyed about is that we have a cricket board with absolutely no public relations or communication with its 'fans'. They treat us with so much contempt. A simple tweet three or four days ago from ZC that 'Innocent Kaia has joined up with the squad as emergency cover due to several injuries to batsmen in the camp' - and there would have been no uproar. Maybe there literally was no other option. Fine. Fucking tell us then!

It's the fact we are all sat at home, turning the stream on ready for the first ball and then the pure shock that some dude has walked out to bat and we are all asking 'who is that?'. Even the commentators didn't know who was walking to the middle. His name wasn't even on the on-screen graphics. Cricinfo and ICC scorecards didn't know what was going on either. It's so embarrassing. Amateur hour ffs.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Also why are we touring the other side of the world and find ourselves with only 11 fit/available players ffs? Who the hell is 'managing' this team?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:05 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:08 am
Yeah not his fault. But people have a right to be pissed off. He doesn't even play T20 cricket domestically anymore lol. As Zimbos we are used to bizarre selections but this is surely one of the worst ever. Not his fault - he's actually a decent player domestically. But for him to suddenly be selected, in his worst format, from nowhere? No surprise he's another Takashinga boy and a distantly related cousin of the Masakadza's.

Also the thing I'm most annoyed about is that we have a cricket board with absolutely no public relations or communication with its 'fans'. They treat us with so much contempt. A simple tweet three or four days ago from ZC that 'Innocent Kaia has joined up with the squad as emergency cover due to several injuries to batsmen in the camp' - and there would have been no uproar. Maybe there literally was no other option. Fine. Fucking tell us then!

It's the fact we are all sat at home, turning the stream on ready for the first ball and then the pure shock that some dude has walked out to bat and we are all asking 'who is that?'. Even the commentators didn't know who was walking to the middle. His name wasn't even on the on-screen graphics. Cricinfo and ICC scorecards didn't know what was going on either. It's so embarrassing. Amateur hour ffs.

I agree on that, there should be some basic communication from ZC. They are such an irresponsible board, that we all know by now. Even i was surprised and thought it is just a jersey name issue, I realised when Madhevere walked out to bat at no. 4 that it was actually I Kaia who got out first 😂

I thought Musakanda is there with the team, should have played ahead of Kaia then.

Just feel bad for I Kaia, poor guy is getting thrashed and it won't do his confidence any good.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

^ Musakanda didn't travel to Ireland or Scotland. Didn't get his new passport in time (this is a ridiculously difficult task in ZImbabwe).