Zim v Sco 2nd T20I

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Zim v Sco 2nd T20I

Post by Googly »

Every team's wet dream is a Josh Inglis up front, a guy that will win you a game in the first 6. The closest guy we had to that was probably Cephas or Solly, but they were a bit short of the mark at the highest level. ZC need to let that go and their game plan needs to 30-40 for no wicket after the powerplay. Obviously they were hoping Marumani would be the guy.
I think Wes started up front, didnt do too well and they ended up protecting him down the order. It would be an option to make him open, he grew up as an opener. They're worried about denting his confidence but that ship has probably sailed. He's probably good enough to make some changes and be more effective up front under the right tutelage. Obviously in 50 over stuff you've got a bit of time to set yourself and he should definitely be made to open.
In T20 I'm not so sure, I'd like to see how Burl and Myers do.
I'm not completely sold on Burl yet, he starts slowly, backs himself to catch up, but there's a lot of ugly across the line agricultural shots. They could of course open with Ervine, he's a pure batsman, something we're short of and the longer he's at the crease the better.

Shumba for me lacks some technique, his innings in the first game was a bit flattering, but I did like his composure.
You're really under the spotlight as an opener, you set the game up...or not. Those two weighted drives where they ran twos I really liked, but he'd need to do that more often to convince me it wasn't just a good day.

I haven't followed Zim cricket too closely of late, I must confess. I've always been a huge Myers fan, he didn't do much in the u19 WC which really surprised me.
I think he's the guy they really need to pay attention to. He oozes talent, he can clear the boundary comfortably as well, and as I said his pick-ups and whips are top drawer.
Without speaking to him and seeing where his mindset and confidence levels are it's hard to say, but I think I'd insist he opens in both formats for an extended period.
The good guys will fight to open in T20, and not so much in 50 over, they'd rather come in after 15 overs.

These 4 were good u19 players. The odds of all 4 now being good internationals is statistically unlikely. Which international team has 4 u19's walk into it and do well?
I'd just tell Myers he has to make it work up front or there's no plan for him, they've got enough middle order guys to sink a ship. He's smart and talented. Take a teaspoon of cement and get the job done son! Become a household name, you've got the goods!!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Regis at 1,2 or 3 is messing us up. He's struggling.
He needs to bat down the order and make way for Williams and Ervine to come in earlier. In our set up the pure batters, and by that I mean the stroke makers need to have as many overs as possible. You don't want them coming in at the ten over mark when we're going at 5's or 6's and they're under pressure to play big shots from the get go.
Make Chakabava have to do that, because he can clear the boundary when he gets it right.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This idea of spreading the good guys through the line up is kindergarten stuff, it's almost to make the loss not look too bad in that likely event.
Myers
Ervine
Williams
Burl
Shumba/Madhevere
Chakabva
Raza
That's my line-up.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

For those wondering why Kaia played yesterday.

Zimbabwe asked him join the squad to replace Taylor for this series as an extra batsmen. He was in England so they didn’t have to fly anybody out to replace him.

He performed well in the nets and K long was carrying a niggle. Nobody wanted to open and Marumani is out of form.

His batting was okay but not great, fielded well other than the dropped catch.

Basically brought in as a last minute backup, k long will probably play last game if fit.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Is BT back in Zim already?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Jeez so that final discussion with BT must have been really acrimonious. Absolutely bizarre to have a contract negotiation half way through a T20 series!!!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Nobody wanting to open in a T20? Thats when you know your slot is secure for the next 5 years and you really don't give a shit whether you win or lose.
I could give u a long list of people that would cut a finger off to open in T20.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Calling a guy in who happens to be holidaying in England?
Did they put an advert on FB? :lol:
"First guy who gets here under his own steam can get an international cap! If you bring gifts you can be captain!"
I guess it's a "meaningless" series after all.
Decades of incompetence.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Interesting enough. They didn't call PJ who they had obviously all just seen and spoken to a week ago. That says a lot

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

I very much doubt PJ would have accepted a call up. He signed a contract to play cricket in Ireland for the summer and the season is not yet over. There are Inter-pro t20s this weekend in fact.