Who should / will be the backup wicket keeper of Zimbabwe ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Who should / will be the backup wicket keeper of Zimbabwe ?

Post by secretzimbo »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:15 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:12 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:50 pm
how many guys in the current zimbabwean squad play for takashinga?
People around the current first team squad; Chakabva, Wellington, Chatara, Ngarava, Muzarabani, Innocent Kaia, Roy Kaia, Kamunhukamwe, Maruma, Chibhabha. Mutumbami doesn't, he's from Masvingo but he is very much part of the Takashinga clique seemingly.

Then amongst the coaches/selectors/staff you have Hammy, Matsikenyeri, Hondo, Chigumbura, Utseya, Mutendera, Makoni, Mukuhlani and a majority of the board.

Chamu's sister is even the chair of selectors for the womens team lol.

They dominate.
what clubs do the white guys play for?
Spread around really. Williams is from Byo and used to play for BAC along with his brother and lots of other white players - not many whites left down south in Bulawayo these days though. Ervine and others from Harare played for Old Hararians - they seem to have a lot of Indian members nowadays as well. I think thats Raza's club as well from memory. I don't know if HSC has many/any white members anymore (I'm not from Harare so excuse my up to date knowledge!). Old Georgians is a majority white club but they keep getting arbitrarily blocked from returning to the Vigne Cup by the typically corrupt Harare Met Cricket Association who clearly don't want XI half-drunk 45-year old white blokes trouncing some of the local teams every week. :D

In the recent NPL the 'Harare Kings' had the most white players.

The club system has been decimated though. It was fantastic and so vibrant and competitive 20 years ago but it barely exists anymore, especially outside of Harare.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I saw Travis Friend playing Boozer's league this weekend. Bloody choppers off about a 5 step run up and can bat a bit.

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:31 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:12 pm

People around the current first team squad; Chakabva, Wellington, Chatara, Ngarava, Muzarabani, Innocent Kaia, Roy Kaia, Kamunhukamwe, Maruma, Chibhabha. Mutumbami doesn't, he's from Masvingo but he is very much part of the Takashinga clique seemingly.

Then amongst the coaches/selectors/staff you have Hammy, Matsikenyeri, Hondo, Chigumbura, Utseya, Mutendera, Makoni, Mukuhlani and a majority of the board.

Chamu's sister is even the chair of selectors for the womens team lol.

They dominate.
Spread around really. Williams is from Byo and used to play for BAC along with his brother and lots of other white players - not many whites left down south in Bulawayo these days though. Ervine and others from Harare played for Old Hararians - they seem to have a lot of Indian members nowadays as well. I think thats Raza's club as well from memory. I don't know if HSC has many/any white members anymore (I'm not from Harare so excuse my up to date knowledge!). Old Georgians is a majority white club but they keep getting arbitrarily blocked from returning to the Vigne Cup by the typically corrupt Harare Met Cricket Association who clearly don't want XI half-drunk 45-year old white blokes trouncing some of the local teams every week. :D

The club system has been decimated though. It was fantastic and so vibrant and competitive 20 years ago but it barely exists anymore, especially outside of Harare.
As a white man from Bulawayo. We still have a decent amount of white guys at BAC but definitely not as many as their used to be

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

How many white people and other minorities in Bulawayo you reckon?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

BostonZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:53 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
slcricfan1 wrote:

As a white man from Bulawayo. We still have a decent amount of white guys at BAC but definitely not as many as their used to be
Ahh okay, good to hear! Do the Williams' still hang out there at all? And whats the state of the ground and pitch these days?

BostonZimbo

Post by BostonZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 pm
BostonZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:53 pm
secretzimbo wrote:

Ahh okay, good to hear! Do the Williams' still hang out there at all? And whats the state of the ground and pitch these days?
In answer to both those questions Bulawayo is like 99.8% black so not too many others kicking around. I think the white population is ~5,000 but could easily be less now. As for the William's I'm pretty sure both Collin and Matthew were kicking around the hockey recently but my work requires a lot of moving around so I don't spend too much free time around BAC. Shame though BAC used to be the place in Bulawayo back in the day

BostonZimbo

Post by BostonZimbo »

Forgot to answer about the state of the pitch. I'm a hockey player myself so I don't focus to much on the cricket pitch but last time I was at Khumalo the astro turf was rolled up and off to the side :lol: . So if that says anything the cricket pitch probably isn't in good shape