Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jward wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 pm
I did write an article once some years ago when Pakistan were introducing a lot of young teens to Test cricket, about a five-year-old genius recently uncovered by name of Babi Wizkid, whose only technical weakness was a tendency to get out lbw when hit on the head. He was the grandson of the controversial umpire Watta Bubu, and his claims were being publicized by the cricket writer Bulshit Ali. I forget the other characters in the story, but unfortunately nothing more has been heard of the boy (or my article).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

The Bulawayo Met club league is due to start next weekend (earlier than usual?). BAC, Queens, Amakhosi and Poly competing. This suggests that the NPL will be coming later in the season, if at all?

Equally, Botswana's national team are touring to play Tuskers in a series of games from 14th-20th October. Which suggests the Logan Cup is not starting that week either.

Although sources are still saying the professional season 'starts October 17th' in some form. Still a mystery.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Now this is the only place I could think of posting this because he kind of is a newcomer. Chivanga is 29 next year, is that not too old for a fast bowler who isn't the finished product yet? What on earth has he been doing for the past 10 years? Was he ever in the junior set up? I honestly dont know much about him

I mean. Ngarava is 24 next year. Matugimu is the same age. Chivanga is only 2 years younger that Chatara. Sounds like a 1 serious injury from retirement kind of scenario. Nyauchi is also 29 but he has been in the system for years

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:19 pm
Now this is the only place I could think of posting this because he kind of is a newcomer. Chivanga is 29 next year, is that not too old for a fast bowler who isn't the finished product yet? What on earth has he been doing for the past 10 years? Was he ever in the junior set up? I honestly dont know much about him

I mean. Ngarava is 24 next year. Matugimu is the same age. Chivanga is only 2 years younger that Chatara. Sounds like a 1 serious injury from retirement kind of scenario. Nyauchi is also 29 but he has been in the system for years
I don't think he was in the junior setup, think he must have went to SA quite young. There's been talk about him for the past five years or so, someone spotted him bowling (reportedly) extremely quick in Joburg. He was in the Africa T20 Cup squad a few years ago but didn't play or join up with the squad for whatever reason. He might have been named in an old Zim 'A" squad 4 or 5 years back if I remember, but again not sure if he travelled or played.

Seems he finally decided to come back and give it a crack last year. I wonder if he had ambitions of being a pro in SA or if he was there for other reasons?

He's bowled well at times this year but doesn't appear to have the consistency. Wish we had a speed gun somewhere in the country - as I doubt he's been bowling as quick as people used to report he did. People in SA saying he did north of 145 consistently! But if he did he would surely have got a professional gig in SA.

He'll have to do well this year to break into the national side because as you say, he isn't exactly young. We are blessed (excuse the pun) with a lot of good fast bowlers at the moment. Blessing, Big rich, Nyauchi, Mumba - and with Jongwe/DT/Evans fighting it out for the seamer position too.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Patrick Mambo from Rocks has retired from all cricket aged 25.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's a bright guy, that's the problem with our system. If you're not seeing a future in franchise there's also no point in committing to club cricket. There's not a lot of club loyalty and inter-club rivalry, they rarely keep to a schedule of games, never start on time and very rarely finish so why commit to club cricket either?
The Boozer's league is way more professionally run than club or franchise and I think it's organised by one guy committing to 3 minutes of work a week :lol: and that's probably after his tenth beer on the verandah at OG's :lol:
That expression- couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery doesn't describe what goes on. If they'd inherited a working brewery it would be stripped and sold for parts within a few days.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Is that official? That's a pity, but I guess he gave playing for Zim a go. He has a child now.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Zimco wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:35 am
Is that official? That's a pity, but I guess he gave playing for Zim a go. He has a child now.
Yup. From his Twitter: https://twitter.com/PatrickTMambo/statu ... 3064375299

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Zimbabwe finally removed from the UK's Covid 'red list'. Makes it significantly more feasible for UK-based Zimbos etc to come and play Logan Cup.

Hopefully franchise managers are reading the news, and make some attempts to try sign some guys up now.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:11 pm
Zimbabwe finally removed from the UK's Covid 'red list'. Makes it significantly more feasible for UK-based Zimbos etc to come and play Logan Cup.

Hopefully franchise managers are reading the news, and make some attempts to try sign some guys up now.
Any idea on the start date?