Nigeria u19

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Nigeria u19

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Mumba's stats told me everything I need to know about what's going on out there. It's a boozers match when your top bowler has the best batting stats.

Kwekwe sports club is a decent place. Funny thing is all these "out of harare" sports clubs are actually decently looked after and have a small white community too. Was there a few weeks ago. Was pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping the Midwest rhinos are actually based there this season. Might go check out a few games. A lot of those players are in Kadoma though, about 60km away.
I love kweke sports club. Used to spend so much time there when younger, pretty much every weekend at one point as a child. This is 15-25 years ago. Was there a month or so back - for the first time in over a year - and very surprised how good the pitch and outfield looked, considering it hasn't hosted any 'proper' cricket in a long time. Still some really good people running the club. Hopefully all the franchises can play at their home grounds this season. Although I think Masvingo's ground is in a bit of a state and probably not good enough to be used sadly.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:36 pm
What do you have against Midwest lads that you want them to be based there ? :lol:
I say that half in jest, Jason Gillespie loved it there, and I know a couple of others that quite enjoyed it. Back in the day Kwe Kwe Sports club used to hum. You had to mind your P's and Q's, some rough tough lads you used to frequent that place.
:lol: :lol: there are some good lads there. Guys who have been farming in those areas since 1917 apparently.. it was good to get their overall insight on things. I guess the era of tough lads has long passed. I never actually understood the meaning of a sports club where every member contributes until I started going out of town. Harare will have you thinking everything is provided for

Googly

Post by Googly »

No boss :lol: we run OG's, Royal, Wingate, Sports Club, Brooke quietly in the background, they still work lekker, wish you'd pass that message on to the free loading roaming hordes of clubs that expect everything to be laid on for them. We'd have decent club cricket if that happened.
ZC are up to their old tricks again and have somehow managed to get sports club rates bill put in their name when they don't own the place. Why avoid rent when your sights are on obtaining a multi million dollar world class 120 year old facility that has been managed magnificently for generations for free? That's our national sport, not football or cricket, but Jambanja.
Mr Chiyangwa unfortunately has established a presence at The Brooke and has opened a "Health Spa" against regulations and his sights are firmly set on usurping an entire massive gated community, he hasn't figured out quite how to do it yet, but there's ugly trouble coming. Country Club has already gone as we know, Harare South, which hosted many international teams is razed to the ground and has had 15 years of regrowth.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 am
No boss :lol: we run OG's, Royal, Wingate, Sports Club, Brooke quietly in the background, they still work lekker, wish you'd pass that message on to the free loading roaming hordes of clubs that expect everything to be laid on for them. We'd have decent club cricket if that happened.
ZC are up to their old tricks again and have somehow managed to get sports club rates bill put in their name when they don't own the place. Why avoid rent when your sights are on obtaining a multi million dollar world class 120 year old facility that has been managed magnificently for generations for free? That's our national sport, not football or cricket, but Jambanja.
Mr Chiyangwa unfortunately has established a presence at The Brooke and has opened a "Health Spa" against regulations and his sights are firmly set on usurping an entire massive gated community, he hasn't figured out quite how to do it yet, but there's ugly trouble coming. Country Club has already gone as we know, Harare South, which hosted many international teams is razed to the ground and has had 15 years of regrowth.
:lol:

Fascinating post, keep the insights coming mate, especially into the club scene and especially whats going on up in Harare.

What's the latest with country club? Is it still Bvute's, and is it still lying idle?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Is OH safe? I heard some chatter about someone trying to buy the land and build there. :( This was about 2 years ago pre-'Rona though.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Rhinos win by 8 wickets in the final match.

https://www.crichq.com/fixtures/1124521/1st_innings

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 am
This reminds me, I've noticed a lot of activity at the Gweru Sports Club when driving past this year, and about 3-4 weeks ago I pulled in, curious, to see what was going on. I don't think I've stepped foot in there for a good 20 years, but by all accounts it had been ran into the ground over the past two decades and the cricket side of things totally abandoned.

Imagine my surprise to see half a dozen locals cutting the grass on the cricket outfield. Not to mention new bar furniture being delivered and a couple of guys doing some painting. They were very welcoming to this white farm-dwelling unannounced visitor, and they chatted passionately about the community effort to rehabilitate the facilities. The bar was looking really smart, the soccer/rugby pitch good and the cricket pitch a big improvement. They've always continued fielding a team in the Midlands league but have had to play their games at KK Queen's or Mbizo mostly, for the past 10-ish years. But despite the challenges, the guys I chatted to were determined t get the cricket field back in use and play home games in Gweru this season for the first time in over a decade.

It's a shame the former lovely field and nets directly over the road at Chaplin school looks abandoned still.

Nonetheless, a rare positive story/experience. If only every club had a dozen genuinely passionate guys putting the effort in.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

If someone can get Mumba bowling well again he could be a very useful cricketer for Zimbabwe
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 pm
If someone can get Mumba bowling well again he could be a very useful cricketer for Zimbabwe
This is very true. I always like a cricketer with some self-awareness. He has realized he can only crack the team as the first change bowler who can bat a bit and as much as I love what Jongwe has added to the team I feel like Mumba has a higher ceiling potentially. Especially with the ball.

This coming domestic season will be very interesting. The person who is really scratching their head right now is Donald Tiripano. The emergence of Jongwe, Mumba and possibly Evans is a real threat to his career. Let's see how he responds. The only chance he has is to bat even higher up the order. Myers can bowl a bit too, I'm sure he will be working on that this season IF he has decided to stick around.

It will also be really interesting to see what kind of pitches they prepare. As it stands I would say our strength is pace more than spin. There has been a huge shift in that area. The likes of Mumba and Chivanga can really benefit and learn from pitches that help them

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

The Nigeria u19s side that's currently winless at the foot of the table at the Africa u19 WC Qualifier is the same as beat a near-full-strength Rhinos side a couple of weeks ago.
Sign of depth in African u19s cricket? Or weakness of ZIM First Class sides?
- Bertus de jong ( cricbuzz correspondent )
Again zimbabwe first class quality questioned by people :(