List of Zimbabwe Under 19 Captains turned successful for the national Team.

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

List of Zimbabwe Under 19 Captains turned successful for the national Team.

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Trevor Penney ( 1988) - Didn't make debut

Mark Vermeulen ( 1998) - 9 Test, 43 odis

Mluleki Nkala ( 2000) - 10 Test, 50 odis

Tatenda Taibu ( 2002) - 28 Test, 150 odis

Tino Mawoyo ( 2004) - 11 Test, 7 odis

Sean Williams ( 2006) - 14 Test, 139 odis, 50 T20Is

Prince Masvaure ( 2008) - 8 Test, 2 odis

Dylon Higgins ( 2010) - Didn't make debut

Matthew Bentley ( 2012) - Didn't make debut

Malcolm Lake ( 2014) - Didn't make debut

Brendon Mavuta ( 2016) - 2 Test, 7 odis, 5 T20Is

Liam Roche ( 2018) - 3 odis

Dion Myers ( 2020) - 1 Test, 4 odis, 8 T20Is
Last edited by Rajkumar Sharma on Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rajkumar Sharma

Re: List of Zimbabwe Under 19 Captains represented national Team.

Till now Taibu & Williams are the most successful international cricketer for Zimbabwe among the captains of Zimbabwe Under 19 cricket Team.

sam_ahm

Re: List of Zimbabwe Under 19 Captains turned successful for the national Team.

Post by sam_ahm »

I don't have a clue about Lake, Higgins Roche.. It's quite dissappointing that they have represented Zimbabwe not so long ago but are no where in the picture now. All just go to UK and play some club level cricket, they will never get to play for England, considering how strong their own players are right now.

I liked Mark Vermeulen, should have played a lot more for Zimbabwe.

Rajkumar Sharma

Expectation was high from young captain like Nkala, was expected to be among top upcomming allrounders on the likes of Razzaq, Watson in that 2000 era, had a great Under 19 world cup in South Africa taking 16 wickets becomming top wicket taker in that tournament.

Mawoyo had the technique and test match mentality, concentration, surprisingly played less test matches then expected

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Kind of annoys me when people say 'just se club level.' The club scene here in the UK is extremely strong and the premier divisions play some seriously hard fought cricket. They don't just walk into pub cricket, get fat and forget how to play. That's why I was keen for Murray to come back if he had been playing club cricket, the standard is high.
Our club has just signed a knights fast bowler while a club in our prem have signed Justin Kemp for next year!

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:21 am
Kind of annoys me when people say 'just se club level.' The club scene here in the UK is extremely strong and the premier divisions play some seriously hard fought cricket. They don't just walk into pub cricket, get fat and forget how to play. That's why I was keen for Murray to come back if he had been playing club cricket, the standard is high.
Our club has just signed a knights fast bowler while a club in our prem have signed Justin Kemp for next year!
Can you explain why England isnt that good at test cricket despite such a strong domestic set up?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:44 am
sloandog wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:21 am
Can you explain why England isnt that good at test cricket despite such a strong domestic set up?
I mean they are still pretty good. But likely to do with the fact they play all their county 4-day games in April and September when the pitches and conditions are shit. They put way too much value on white ball at county level.

As for the thread, errr, nice list you’ve made. But what’s your point, Naidu?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

slcricfan1 wrote:

Just to clarify, you are on a zim cricket forum, as a SL fan, and you are questioning the quality of the 4th ranked test side in the world and how good they are?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 am
slcricfan1 wrote:

Just to clarify, you are on a zim cricket forum, as a SL fan, and you are questioning the quality of the 4th ranked test side in the world and how good they are?
I was thinking that 🤣

The thing is, UK club cricket is so well supported by the ECB and local communities, England will always have a strong player pool. The standard of cricket I've played this summer has been bloody high, and we're in the Premier division next summer. It's a breeding ground for mentally tough, young cricket stars and that's why the England will always be strong. Sure, they'll go through transitional periods but they'll always recover

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If Sloan is right then it would be as a result of strength in numbers being a big cricketing nation with alto of imports.

But I question it too from the outside. County isn’t that strong. A lot of 40 yr old plodders about.
Yes they are all good players but I guess it’s relative to what you expect of a first class standard.
So I’m thinking of county is county and county seconds is the big drop we know it is, how can club be that strong?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*